Steam Interface

The Steam interface is cool

• Yes

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd rather it were a little more customisable, for example being able to separate titles into user-defined subgroups (eg. HL1 mods, HL2 mods, demos), hide specific titles completely, and so on, but otherwise I'm a big fan of the way Steam (and digital distribution as a whole) is headed. Now all I need is my favourites and my friends list to work. ;)

the server browser integration is nice.
I miss the good old HL / CS 1.5 police though, and I'm used to the good old console in CS. (but in DoD I don't care, I began playing DoD one year ago, on Steam)
there should be a way to change the fonts, without editing the trackerscheme.res file (which never even worked for me)

I really hated Steam though when I was under windows 98 (till 2005), because it used a lot of GDI resources (if you used firefox < 0.8 under win98, when it was called firebird and it had a GDI leak unless you changed a setting in about:config, you know what I mean) ; and as irritating, copy/paste didn't work! (great when a friend gives you the IP on MSN)

I actually was on IRC channels the night it came about, have a steam ID of about 2400, and would have had a lower one if I didn't wonder for 5 or 10 minutes if it was real or a CD key thief. I could join a game first time, then it worked once in 20 or 100 times, then I couldn't for weeks or monthes, then it was also once every 50 times... no problem to join about a year later though when I tried it again. (in the mean time I played CS 1.5 and still played it till last year on nowon servers)

now that I'm on 56K I didn't even tried it. (I still have the steam directory with the cache files, but there would be the steam updates anyway, and I don't know if I can play anyway, on CS 1.5 nowon server I can't play at all because of lag no matter the settings)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fodder said:
I'd rather it were a little more customisable, for example being able to separate titles into user-defined subgroups (eg. HL1 mods, HL2 mods, demos), hide specific titles completely, and so on, but otherwise I'm a big fan of the way Steam (and digital distribution as a whole) is headed. Now all I need is my favourites and my friends list to work. ;)

the Friends is still broken?
(it worked when I could at least use steam but later was fucked up)

that's ridiculous, if valve can't get their feature right after so many years, why not drop it.
I'm glad I didn't have problems with favorites, did they fuck it up too?

I don't like steam, either as implemented or as a concept. I don't like it has to start a network app just to launch a game I want to play. I don't like that it sucks CPU like a crazy mad person during some sections of the handshaking/data transfer period. I don't like the UI, such as that the default tab of "my games" is the BUY NEW GAMES and not the tab where it lists the ones I actually have installed. Or that the list of installed games also - "helpfully" - lists the games I happen to not have paid for yet... :rolleyes:

Steam sucks.

Guden Oden said:
I don't like steam, either as implemented or as a concept. I don't like it has to start a network app just to launch a game I want to play. I don't like that it sucks CPU like a crazy mad person during some sections of the handshaking/data transfer period.

Completely agree. Sometimes Steam goes bonkers and uses all cpu time on one of my dual cores. That, and the slow startup time, the massive memory footprint and the *useless* server browser makes it an nuisance in general.

The only redeeming feature is that all you have to do after a reinstall is to download the 600KB installer, log in and double click on your already purchased games to download and install them again.

IMO Valve should have hired UDP-Soft to make Steam (the people who wrote All-Seeing-Eye and more). Finns with coding skills.... Hard to beat.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
The interface itself is not half as bad, but each time I start it, it updates itself and at least three games for ages and that sucks. Overall, I like it but it could have been done better.

Blazkowicz_ said:
the Friends is still broken?
(it worked when I could at least use steam but later was fucked up)

that's ridiculous, if valve can't get their feature right after so many years, why not drop it.
I'm glad I didn't have problems with favorites, did they fuck it up too?

My Favorites started working about a week ago .. haven't had problems since.

I like the interface .. but ye pity it ain't customisable.

US

Guden Oden said:
I don't like it has to start a network app just to launch a game I want to play.
I don't like having to dig up a CD just to launch a game I want to play. Go figure.
Guden Oden said:
I don't like the UI, such as that the default tab of "my games" is the BUY NEW GAMES and not the tab where it lists the ones I actually have installed.
If you use the 'mini' view, you get all your games and tools in the default tab, and no store.

Fodder said:
I don't like having to dig up a CD just to launch a game I want to play. Go figure.
i haven't played BF2 since 2 patches ago (about a month before) because i can't be bothered to dig up the disc. i'm incredibly lazy.

i like steam in concept, hate most of the interface, and have the fact that it's a resource whore. but it's cool that i never have to look for my HL1/2 disks ever again. the sad thing is, i don't really like hl or hl2.

Back