Spyware in these programs?

Greetings:

Is there any spyware or malicious software in Bitcomet or Download accelarator?

Any other good alternatives for these software?

Finally any good and free security software, im on a 56 k connection right now.

Thanks for your time

No, there is none in Bitcomet.....

EDIT: Like Fodder suggests, uTorrent is pretty good too. It doesn't take up a lot of resources.

when I downloaded azureus bittorrent my virus scanner didn't like it too much as it has spyware on install, so be carful, not everything is perfect.

Graham said:
when I downloaded azureus bittorrent my virus scanner didn't like it too much as it has spyware on install, so be carful, not everything is perfect.
Pray, what spyware was that?

sorry my mistake, adware not spyware. Got my terms mixed. I checked my AV logs:

DPL.dll in the windows directory gets installed, virus scanner recognised it as "Win32/Adware.Webdir application". So may not be as serious as I thought

There's no adware in azureus. It's an open-source java app, I run it myself and no ads whatsoever anywhere.

Stating otherwise is just nonsense, your virus scanner is obviously confused.

Graham said:
sorry my mistake, adware not spyware. Got my terms mixed. I checked my AV logs:

DPL.dll in the windows directory gets installed, virus scanner recognised it as "Win32/Adware.Webdir application". So may not be as serious as I thought
No such file on my entire system. You must have either used a bogus Azureus installer or have contracted from some other source.

Bludd said:
No such file on my entire system. You must have either used a bogus Azureus installer or have contracted from some other source.

Same here, no dpl.dll present on my system.

Ok, yet another question. Im so out of wisdome.

Since i cant tolerate uploads upward 3KB/s since im on 56k. I need to limit the uploads to 1 or 2 Kb/s at maximun.

So im thinking on using Netlimiter. Anyone have any expirience with this software.

Again, does it have any spyware or malicious software?

Refreshment said:

Since i cant tolerate uploads upward 3KB/s since im on 56k. I need to limit the uploads to 1 or 2 Kb/s at maximun.

So im thinking on using Netlimiter. Anyone have any expirience with this software.

Doesn't microtorrent come with the option to limit uploads?

hupfinsgack said:
Doesn't microtorrent come with the option to limit uploads?
Yes, and so does Azureus and Burst! and I believe BitComet etc.

Refreshment said:

Like others have stated here, just use utorrent. Netlimiter does not contain any spyware or malicious software.

Bludd said:

I downloaded the same file twice, both times listed the server and file name as the source, Azureus BitTorrent Client 2.3.0.4, linked from download.com, comming from some third party website.

on attempting to download:

virus.jpg

If you ignore it, and allow it to download, once apon running and then installing it will warn that DLP.dll is being installed to the windows system directory.

[edit]

Sorry, first time I said 'dpl.dll' when I meant 'dlp.dll' - my second mistake, ops :-$

Last edited by a moderator:
Graham said:
I downloaded the same file twice, both times listed the server and file name as the source, Azureus BitTorrent Client 2.3.0.4, linked from download.com, comming from some third party website.

on attempting to download:

If you ignore it, and allow it to download, once apon running and then installing it will warn that DLP.dll is being installed to the windows system directory.

[edit]

Sorry, first time I said 'dpl.dll' when I meant 'dlp.dll' - my second mistake, ops :-$

Ok, I've searched again for the dlp.dll thingy but to no avail. Try downloading Azureus from the official site ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus) and try installing again. This seems more like the download.com installer is bugged.

Graham said:
Always try getting software from the official site before crying wolf... ;) Someone else gave you the sourceforge addy, try using that first. If you still get warnings from your virus scanner you have problems on your system. NOD doesn't react on azureus here, nor have I ever heard anyone else express anything similar.

Yes, I can't find dlp.dll nor dpl.dll on my system and I've had azureus for quite a while.
I will also join in the recommendation to download Azureus from the proper homepage.

Good luck, Graham!

Back