*spin-off* GoWIII is it 1080p

Nebula: Thanks a lot! I am sure this takes some time to generate. Thanks again!

I prefer 1280x720 shots.. There is a washed out feeling with the 848x480 images which I also experience during watching DVDs (after Blurays). However, the ground texture quality is still the same in almost all shots, so I think 2xAF has already done the trick. it is usually a lot worse in current console games.

Joshua has a point though. If they can implement better lighting and a lot more detail through additonal vertex processing (though only 360 can benefit from this) at 480p, the games might look better than their 720p counterparts.

However, Joshua has a point. In addition, the quality of AF is not pronounced much in those shots, maybe 2xAF is doing the trick. In many 360 games, the farther the ground, the less quality in ground textures.. There

If you implement better

The problem really sits with the fanboys who just can't let go of silly manufacturer promises. Ofcourse as CoD4 onwards has shown, you can weather such petty storms and still dominate as long as you make the compromises in the right places. The biggest selling games of this gen, CoD4/WaW/6/Halo3/MGS4 have done quite well being "sub HD"

Actually, the problem lies with people trying to impose their own preferences on others. It's subjective. The examples shown here are only a very limited subset of possibilities. It's possible for 480p to look better, it's also possible to come up with 720p combination that looks better.

In all your titles above, they are no doubt financially successful, but financial success is not the criteria for deciding whether sub HD will look better. I don't think it's necessary to bring out fanboys to defend every position too.

They can get GoW & GoW2 to run at 60fps on the outdated PS2 hardware, so there should be no excuse for GoW3 to run at only 30fps.. No, we shouldn't be OK with only 30fps. 30fps is completely unacceptable. Like mention above, the previous games tun at 60fps without any problem or sacrifice, so I expect the same from GoW3, ESPECIALLY with the power of the PS3 in their hand.. 60fps is extremely important when it come to intense action games like DMC, GoW and NG..

Sony better not screw this up.

I believe the director of God of War 3 addressed the question of framerate during E309 saying that they are aiming for 60 fps, certain that they will always be at or above 30 fps. Stig Assmussen also mentioned that the previous God of War games were not always at 60 fps, and that on the first game Jaffe said that certain gameplay sequences trumped the framerate issue.

Have you seen major framedrops during your playtime? i have no problems with 30 fps but framerate dips are unbearables.

The framerate seemed pretty consistent as I didn't notice any drops. To me, it didn't look to be quite at 30fps yet though...maybe mid-20s, but I'm not trained on the matter. They've got plenty of time to improve things regardless.

I think in GoW 3, we'll see most of the game at 30fps, but some portions at 60fps. In GoW, when you grappled with the minotaur and plunged your blades into his mouth, that was a solid 60fps, and the dyanamicity of the lighting a shadows just popped. I expect for closeup shots in GoW3 like when you're ripping off Heleos's head or gutting the centaur, it'll be running at 60fps.

Gow games were never about strict timings for parry or cancel or other advanced mechanics.

The windows for the moves was always huge so i don't really see the point of having 60 fps in a game that does not use these extra 30 fps for intricate gameplay mechanics. They might as well pump up the visuals.

I have to say, framerate is by far the biggest disappointment on any platform this gen so far. I seem to remember way more 60fps on PS2 out than there are on *this gen consoles* so far.

I would really appreciate 60 fps over any 1080p support - or even better, some reduced visuals. I may understand why new games might want to push graphics over gameplay, but established franchises like this one that will sell on the name alone, should focus on gameplay.

I believe The reason why you have so less 60FPS games this gen is because graphics hold a lot more importance to a developer & gamer this gen than yesteryears. [Sigh !].

This is why most devs like to do as much shader work possible rather than go as high in FPS as possible.I still remember old times when I had the eyes of the average Joe & hence being easily impressed from what now seems to be clever use of tech, that time 60FPS would just be added smoothness which was just extremely good to play at while looking the same or better than other 30FPS games. :)

They can get GoW & GoW2 to run at 60fps on the outdated PS2 hardware, so there should be no excuse for GoW3 to run at only 30fps.. .

Your logic is completely broken. Framerate is dependant on graphics quality. Better graphics, worse framerate.

We could make GoW3 look like GoW2 graphically and run it at 300fps but then you would cry about how piss poor the graphics are.

What GoW1\2 ran at on the PS2 is irrelevant, unless you want GoW3 graphics to be the same.

Back