Spelling bee

This spelling bee shit is another of those curious american things that I really can't get my head around, along with beauty pageants and the easter bunny.

And what does bees have to do with spelling? Heck, they can't even read much less SPELL! :LOL:

Guden Oden said:
This spelling bee shit is another of those curious american things that I really can't get my head around, along with beauty pageants and the easter bunny.

And what does bees have to do with spelling? Heck, they can't even read much less SPELL! :LOL:
http://www.factmonster.com/spot/spellingbee1.html
The word "bee" has long been used to describe a busy gathering of people who come together for a special purpose, such as quilting, spinning, logging, or raising a barn. "Spelling bee" in particular is an American term that came into use by the 1870s.

Many think that this use of "bee" was inspired by the hard-working social insect of the same name. But some scholars believe it comes from the Middle English "bene," meaning a favor, which was sometimes used to describe neighbors helping out with a particular activity.

Well, I live in Middle England and I've never heard of this (presumably I'm presumed to speak Middle English, being from Middle Engl-land).

Mind you, most people round here can't spell, and I'm too drnuk to type any more. I'm also clueless. I can spell when I'm sober (I certainly know that there's more than zero 'u's in colour, for example), but not when I'm drnuk.

Anyway, I'm going to hush, shortly. I might prattle on for a bit, rather like this sentence which really doesn't have any point except annoying the reader (that's you!). Soz. TTFN. WTGROMT.

Guden Oden said:
In Australia we have the term "working bee" which a means getting together a group of volunteers to work on a project usually for a day or two. I suppose it's related.

Back