Spec Ops: The Line [PS3/360/PC]

Cornsnake

Veteran
So this is an interesting game.

Gameplay wise it's standard stuff. Third person cover based shooting, it's decent but nothing special. It isn't as dependant on big scripted set pieces as most modern shooters which I like about it. The setting looks great, Dubai covered in sand because of sandstorms, even thought idea of something like that happening is a bit silly. Beyond that the graphics are nothing special. The voice acting is great and just like every game ever made the main character is voiced by Nolan North.

But the real highlight of the game is it's story. What starts out like the same nonsense you find in most videogames becomes something far more interesting. The game really doesn't shy away from showing you the harsher realities of war. And it does it quite a mature fashion. Saying anything more than that would probably be spoiling things.

This is a game for people who occasionally want something a bit more thought provoking from their games.

I read that its artwork and storytelling is beyond any other similar game, making it a game you'd want to try.
I'll wait until it reaches 10-15£ I think, but I read suprisingly (as I expected yet another "next gen"[brown/grey] shooter) good things about that game.

I played it last month the writing is pure class, it's based on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

Also why is the idea of a sand covered Dubai silly when the whole city is built on a desert ? Have you seen how huge those sandstorms can get ?

I played it last month the writing is pure class, it's based on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

Also why is the idea of a sand covered Dubai silly when the whole city is built on a desert ? Have you seen how huge those sandstorms can get ?

Sandstorms big enough to largely bury skyscrapers hundreds of meters high, and create what seem like walls of sand that somehow don't collapse? This is much like Hollywoods tendency to exaggerate reality.

Sandstorms big enough to largely bury skyscrapers hundreds of meters high, and create what seem like walls of sand that somehow don't collapse? This is much like Hollywoods tendency to exaggerate reality.
Covered? Yes
Bury? I don't think I noticed that at any point.

I played the demo a few months ago and found the game to be very good both in art and gameplay, but it didn't have a style that is unique. It's basically a "realism" type military TPS, nothing wrong with that but nothing that makes it stand out either. I didn't pay much attention to the story so don't have any comments/complaints about it.

Covered? Yes
Bury? I don't think I noticed that at any point.

I'm playing through the game again right now. Most of it is pretty reasonable, but there are some sections that aren't.

I played the demo a few months ago and found the game to be very good both in art and gameplay, but it didn't have a style that is unique. It's basically a "realism" type military TPS, nothing wrong with that but nothing that makes it stand out either. I didn't pay much attention to the story so don't have any comments/complaints about it.

Sadly the proper story doesn't start until after the demo levels. From that perspective it isn't a good representative of the full game.

I downloaded the Steam demo and I didn't even have the patience to finish that. Even for a typical military fps, the sheer number of enemies you're gunning down seemed insane to me. It was just tiresome and boring, and I'm not really willing to endure 5 more hours of that just to reach a point where the narrative becomes interesting.

Hm, I did buy the game on steam. Gameplay very basic. Graphics on highest setting as well. With respect to story...I don't know...seems nothing special, allthough it got so much hype...have to play it to the end for final judgment, but so far an average experience at most for me.

I downloaded the Steam demo and I didn't even have the patience to finish that. Even for a typical military fps, the sheer number of enemies you're gunning down seemed insane to me. It was just tiresome and boring, and I'm not really willing to endure 5 more hours of that just to reach a point where the narrative becomes interesting.

It's not 5 hours, more like 10 minutes.
You WILL be missing out on something if you don't play this game.

Played through the game again. It took me about 5 hours, the first time with lots more dying took me 6 or 7 hours. Tried some different choices and see their outcomes. I really like that ending.

I hope we get more games like this, even though it's not doing as well as Rockstar had expected.

Just only watched the trailer... looks okay. Though I do hope they don't forget that it's foremost a FPS (thinking of the horses and the plane gameplay aspects - or are they simply cutscenes?).

I'm also not too anxious about this - I'm still playing MW3 as if it just came out a month ago! So much fun!

Just only watched the trailer... looks okay. Though I do hope they don't forget that it's foremost a FPS (thinking of the horses and the plane gameplay aspects - or are they simply cutscenes?).

I'm also not too anxious about this - I'm still playing MW3 as if it just came out a month ago! So much fun!

Horses, plane and FPS? Which trailer did you watch? Spec Ops: The Line has none of those things. It's a cover based TPS. Maybe you saw an older trailer. I know Spec Ops changed developers at some point, maybe the game itself also changed a lot.

Horses, plane and FPS? Which trailer did you watch? Spec Ops: The Line has none of those things. It's a cover based TPS. Maybe you saw an older trailer. I know Spec Ops changed developers at some point, maybe the game itself also changed a lot.

I think he is talking about black ops2 :LOL: !

Oops - I have absolutely NO IDEA how my reply got stuck into this topic - it was ment for the CoD:Black Ops topic... Must have got onto my browsers-back button unknowingly and jumped back to this thread when I wrote the message. :oops:

Back