Soundstorm R.I.P.

Pro Logic requires little or no work on the part of the hardware ouputting it too. Even N64 could pull of Dolby Pro Logic. I also believe Pro Logic II support on Gamecube was a last minute thing to sorta compete in buzzwords with Xbox.

Guden Oden said:
Sxotty said:
thus unless I have a sound card doing 6.1 DD encoding I am still stuck at 5.1 anyway.
There is no 6.1DD per se; the 6th surround channel is fake. Thus, don't worry about it...

Groovy, thanks for letting me know. Is there 7.1 though? Or is it also just created by checking whether both backs, or both lefts are playing?

Sxotty said:
Groovy, thanks for letting me know. Is there 7.1 though? Or is it also just created by checking whether both backs, or both lefts are playing?
In Dolby Digital EX (the 6.1 encoding scheme of Dolby) the center rear channel is matrix-encoded in the left and right rear channels just like the single rear channel is matrixed in the front left and right channels in the original Dolby Pro Logic encoding.

There is no 7.1 Dolby Digital encoding format at all. Amplifiers in 7.1 mode must create the extra channels with their own proprietary DSP programs.

Back