"Sony's Cell can handle branching for AI better than the rest"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terarrim

Newcomer
By the way the title from the publication I found not me so please don't shout at me :p.

Copied from a post I made @ ps3forums and i haven't seen this hear (please lock if it is here somewhere).

sorry couldn't fit all the above in the full title should be

"Sony says: Cell can handle "branching" for AI better than the rest"

Anyway I was looking for information on Spurs after mynds (good analyses) of the Edge dev tool. He asked what was spurs so I went searching.

Dismissing it was not related to Totenham Hotspur FC I found the following two articles very intresting indeed:

Quote:
Sony says: Cell can handle "branching" for AI better than the rest
Posted Mar 9th 2007 12:30PM by Nick Doerr
Filed under: News, Cell

When Sony introduced the new EDGE toolkit for developers, people began to listen in on the power of the PlayStation 3 and the Cell processor. While still difficult to program for, the toolkit is meant to alleviate some of the more confusing aspects of the new console. Sony also decided to sit down and chat with developers regarding the Cell and this new toolkit.

A developer claimed that there was no way to get interaction between the different SPUs of the Cell. This heralded Sony to come in and teach a miniature lesson about what does and doesn't work with the Cell's SPUs. The interesting tidbit spoken about was branching AI on the Cell. We'll use a quote here so we don't mess up the interpretation: "Branching is a common technique...where a program randomly chooses a few samples from a larger set of options, and then tests each to see which is the best...Most developers have claimed that the SPUs would be absolutely terrible for branching. As Sony put it however, branching is absolutely terrible for ALL processors. In their experience, they said, it is less terrible for the SPUs however. In the upcoming game Heavenly Sword, they said that moving the branching AI off of the Power Processor Unit (PPU) increased the performance of that particular process. In other words, the same branching ran better on the SPUs."

Since Sony has had success creating AI superior to that available on other consoles relying on different setups (triple-core PPC, etc), they've included ways for developers to have similar success with the EDGE kit. One more thing, too, was added into EDGE: "Sony said that much of their success with the Cell has come from the development of a tool they call the SPURS Kernel, a small program which sits on each SPU and enables it to better perform the tasks that programmers use it for. This SPURS Kernel was included in the EDGE suite of tools."

So what do you guys think? With this stuff, will more developers give the PS3 a more interested look? We really believe that saying all this stuff is good and all, but developers and consumers alike will need something tangible to prove these claims. Heavenly Sword was cited as an example of success regarding SPU AI branching... so, let's see it! We need something solid instead of words, as much as we'd love to take your word on this, Sony.

Also linked back to original:

Quote:
Sony Talks Cell To Developers
Added on 08/03/2007.

Sony has gotten a lot of bad press among developers for the implementation of the Cell processor, with devs complaining about the difficulty of programming, to the inefficiency of process execution. Sony has responded at GDC this year with a myriad of discussions and tools for devs that were aimed at better helping them understand and use the Cell.

During Phil Harrison’s keynote speech on Wednesday, Sony highlighted a new initiative called Playstation EDGE, in which Sony is making available to developers a set of tools for the Cell and RSX that Sony developed internally for first party games. The EDGE tools however are simply tools, and there were many discussions at the conference that Sony held to help teach developers how to use those tools.

It seems that up to this point there has been a very difficult learning curve for Playstation 3 developers. I met a developer earlier this week that claimed that there was no way to share information between SPUs, (the miniature specialized cores on the Cell).

So Sony set out and explained what works and what doesn’t for SPUs, both for performance and for efficiency. They discussed different methods for threading and dividing up work on the SPUs, and ways to efficiently pass data between SPUs.

Of particular interest however was the bit Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide (SCEWW) said about branching AI on the SPU. Branching is a common technique used in artificial intelligence where a program randomly chooses a few samples from a larger set of options, and then tests each to see which is the best. This method of AI can provide more realistic behavior, as humans often don’t choose the overall best option because it simply doesn’t occur to them, however it is very inefficient to begin with, and due to the nature of the type of process it is, most developers have claimed that the SPUs would be absolutely terrible for branching.

As Sony put it however, branching is absolutely terrible for ALL processors. In their experience, they said, it is less terrible for the SPUs however. In the upcoming game Heavenly Sword, they said that moving the branching AI off of the Power Processor Unit (PPU) increased the performance of that particular process. In other words, the same branching ran better on the SPUs.

Microsoft and Xbox fans have long claimed that the triple-core PPC setup which the 360 enjoys is far superior for AI, however it appears that Sony’s internal developers have had better success with the code on SPUs. Now that Sony is working with other developers to enable them to do the same methods of development, we can expect that developing and adapting current algorithms to the Cell will become much more manageable for many developers.

Sony said that much of their success with the Cell has come from the development of a tool they call the SPURS Kernel, a small program which sits on each SPU and enables it to better perform the tasks that programmers use it for. This SPURS Kernel was included in the EDGE suite of tools, and we can expect that many of the developers who have been complaining of harsh learning curves, long development cycles and poor performance will soon be breathing a collective sigh of relief.

By Jordan LeDoux

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/03/09/...r-than-the-re/

http://www.psu.com/node/8715

Lol this is mad if this claim is anywhere true SPE's> @ branch logic :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back