Sony's 300-mm fab starts test production of Cell processor

A bit behind schedule, then... Weren't they supposed to be doing this in March?

I also like how a type has Sony investing $321 billion in East Fishkill! :p

interesting, Nagasaki #2 is no starting to do test production: I wonder what are they doing at SCE/Toshiba's Oita #2 65 nm lines which have been set-up considerably earlier ( in January IIRC ).

Nagasaki #2 started construction after Oita #2 and if they are at this stage, I would like to know how much farther ahead are the 65 nm lines in Oita #2.

Wait . Did I read this right ?

IT says that these fabs wont be making the first cell chips. They will be coming from ibm fabs .

Is this a case of the fabs not being up to snuff yet ? Perhaps even bad yields over at ibm ?

jvd said:

IT says that these fabs wont be making the first cell chips. They will be coming from ibm fabs .

Is this a case of the fabs not being up to snuff yet ? Perhaps even bad yields over at ibm ?

Nagasaki #2 started construction after East Fishkill and Oita #2 did.

Panajev2001a said:
jvd said:

Nagasaki #2 started construction after East Fishkill and Oita #2 did.

So whats oita # 2 for ?

I bet those clowns were making prototypes in Austin (at IBM's Research Center) where geeks gather and tape-outs occur. :D

I may be wrong, but it certainly looks like Cell will be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back -- err, a new computing standard that will burry x86 architecture. And even more insidious, it may be the universal standard in consumer electronics as well. :oops:

Maybe George Orwell was off by, oh, 20 years...

Panajev2001a said:
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2004_02/pr1901.htm

Oita #2 is there for SCE/Toshiba's 65 nm and 45 nm lines ( 300 mm wafers ) and should be starting mass production in Fall 2004 as the PR I just linked says and it is going to be used for CELL production.

so why is ibm making the chips if these fabs will be ready for mass production in fall of 2004

wait.. george orwell? since when did IBM become the government?

and i think it might be too early to comment on the real world performance of CELL...

sarkazma said:
wait.. george orwell? since when did IBM become the government?

IBM may become our 'Big Brother' when it starts putting Cells in everything -- Cells that do most of their computing on a grid... :oops:

sarkazma said:
and i think it might be too early to comment on the real world performance of CELL...

Well, I'm contented to let the money these companies are pouring into the project cosign on its performance. ;)

so why is ibm making the chips if these fabs will be ready for mass production in fall of 2004

So they can get more chips avaliable from 2-3 plants than they can from a single one? Seriously.. I don't know why this is even a question.

Paul said:

So they can get more chips avaliable from 2-3 plants than they can from a single one? Seriously.. I don't know why this is even a question.

Because it doesn't say in conjunction with. It says the first chips will come from ibm. Not ibm and sony fabs .

That is why I ask.

If you can point me to the part of the article saying that the first chips will come from 2-3 fabs that aren't ibm fabs please do. Till then can you please answer my questions with out adding things that you have no proof of inside of the topic we are discusing .

Because it doesn't say in conjunction with. It says the first chips will come from ibm. Not ibm and sony fabs .

???

Broadband Engines will roll out of Fishkill, Oita and probabaly Nagasaki. That's my whole point. Mass production is slated to start very late 04-05.

The first Cell chips will be fabricated at IBM's Fishkill, N.Y., fab, but Sony is also preparing for volume production of the Cell processor

It says ibm is fabing the first of the chips .

Sony is only preparing.

Which to me means the plants are either behind or yields are pretty bad and they are starting to stock pile .

Unless you have another reason .

Uhh IBM is "Preparing" too bro, Fishkill is in no way shape or form as of May 20th 2004 ready to mass produce Broadband Engine @ 65 nm. And it won't be until very late 04/early 05!

Sony's lines are getting ready too;

Pilot production at Sony's manufacturing lines is scheduled to start in the first half of its fiscal 2005. Planned production capacity will be 15,000 wafers a month.

http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/OEG20040202S0009

The 15,000 wafers a month was for IBM, Sony and the Sony/Toshiba lines combined if you remember news back in febuary...

It's neat to see these things that were once 'in the future' becoming the present. 65 nm Broadband Engine and GPU are meant to be large even on the 65 nm / 0.065 micron process.

slightly off-topic -

Is it very likely that Sony will internally adjust PS3 specs once they know for sure what MS is bringing with Xenon - Xbox 2?

this will be very interesting to watch, what Sony does, because this time, of the major three systems Sony is not coming out first. Sony is coming out either last, or at the same time as GCNext. I wonder if Sony adjusted the specs of PS2 after they knew what Dreamcast specs would be in late 1997 or early 1998. well, there was at least that 50 Mhz speed bump with the Emotion Engine in early 1999 from 250 Mhz to 300 Mhz. bringing peak polygon performance from 55M to 66M. If it wasn't for Dreamcast, I think Sony would've released a slower PS2.

Back