SonyEricssons mystery phone

carpediem

Regular
Hope this one makes it into production... Looks really cool :)

sony_mystery_phone.jpg

Looks lame to me. Just a phone with a flip screen. There are plenty of phones with flip full screens. Samsung has one.

I'm more interested in the phone's capabilities. To please me now, a phone minimally must have: UMTS, A-GPRS, MIDP2.0 Java, Bluetooth, Camera, and if you really want to make me happy, 802.11b. Slideout keyboard and touch screen a plug.

A cross between the Motorola MPX and Motorola A845/1000 or E1000 is an example. Functionality, not form for me.

Finally the perfect cameraphone for when you go whale-leaping!

Looks like a japaneese S700 clamshell spinoff.

Urgh, too fussy. No thanks.

I'd be more interested in the functionality too.

I'm pretty sure the design will sell a lot more than UMTS, A-GPRS, MIDP2.0 or any other techy acronym that 95% of the people don't care about.

May be, but I am sick of GPRS and I don't buy phones just because they have a fancy flip. Teenagers might buy em, but I want 3G phones, I want push email, I want hi-speed data, and I want GPS navigation. In short, I want a phone that actually does something, rather than a gimmick.

The "matrix phone" was a prime example. Atrocious firmware and features, but "cool look" and spring-loaded clip.

DemoCoder said:
May be, but I am sick of GPRS and I don't buy phones just because they have a fancy flip. Teenagers might buy em, but I want 3G phones, I want push email, I want hi-speed data, and I want GPS navigation. In short, I want a phone that actually does something, rather than a gimmick.

The "matrix phone" was a prime example. Atrocious firmware and features, but "cool look" and spring-loaded clip.
damn i want a cell phone that is just a phone. No extras.

epic

I don't see anything screaming "gay" in that phone :?
It looks like it is generally aimed more to a slightly younger audience.
It has something similar in it's design as Nokia's new NGage :)

I like a more understated design better. The K700i and S700i are more to my taste.

It's the camera lens and it's surroundings.
Looks shaped like a BT headset though, but I doubt they'd put the headset there obscuring the camera lens.

I view the phone as a communications device, and voice calls are just a subset of data communications. The ideal communications device should handle voice calls/push-2-talk, text messaging/im/email, multimedia and file sharing/ video calling.

I also expect my mobile device to provide a high speed connection for my notebook (via bluetooth) when I am not near an wireless lan. And finally, the device should have the ability to lookup information needed, flights, directions, location, etc

If someone made a basic mobile phone that only handled voice calls and nothing else, I wouldn't buy it.

At work, I get to test all kinds of new devices, and UMTS/WCDMA is frankly something I can no longer live without. It's like saying "I want my internet connection to just do 56k and email" after you've experienced DSL and the web.

The conclusion is it's either a fake render done by some clever artist with too many time on thier hands, or a mysterious SE prototype from 2 years ago.

I do like the form factor.

I pity the poor americans using inferior GSM and especially Brew phones...

pity the poor americans using inferior GSM and especially Brew phones...

Huh? I think you're misinformed bub. We have GSM with GPRS, EDGE, or WCDMA, take your pick. We have TDMA, and CDMA with 1xRTT or 1xEV-DO CDMA2000.

We have phones that use (take your pick) WinCE, Embedded Linux, Symbian, PalmOS, Brew, and some that are mostly Java. Personally, after working with Symbian on a partnership between my company and Nokia, I have to say it is the shittiest OS money can buy (to develop on)

The multiplcity of networks in the US and Japan (CDMA2000, WCDMA) is driving intense competition between companies in roll out and deployment. Europe is now projected to be behind Asia and the US in rolling out 3G.

By 2006, EVDV services will be rolled out in the US, so that consumers can choose between UMTS/WCDMA (AT&T), EV-DO (Verizon), or EV-DV (Sprint).

There aren't many "cool" European phones that aren't available here, and you can always buy one from Europe and unlock it. The only people who can truly pity us are the Japanese and Koreans, whose phones blow away what European and US users have.

DemoCoder said:
Looks lame to me. Just a phone with a flip screen. There are plenty of phones with flip full screens. Samsung has one.

I'm more interested in the phone's capabilities. To please me now, a phone minimally must have: UMTS, A-GPRS, MIDP2.0 Java, Bluetooth, Camera, and if you really want to make me happy, 802.11b. Slideout keyboard and touch screen a plug.

A cross between the Motorola MPX and Motorola A845/1000 or E1000 is an example. Functionality, not form for me.
You can tell what the phone does/doesn't do just from a pic of it? :oops:

Back