Sinatech: ATI/AMD Aquisition Agreement Reached: ATI facing a big shake-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my thoughts:

AMD's benefits:

1) Access to design teams who've had extensive experience designing both AMD and Intel chipsets. That will give them the ability to release an IGP far superior to anything Intel can come up with in house.

Should be a tremendous advantage with the launch of Vista, particularly with many people going the media-pc route.

2) Valuable diversification of their IP and product portfolio.

ATI's benefits:

1) Access to hypertransport design teams. Should allow the creation of more efficient chipsets than Nvidia could create with their Nforce, allowing them to increase their marketshare.

2) Access to Fab 30 and Fab 36 to increase production capabilities. Reduction in costs.

-----------------------------------

In the end, ATI will continue to provide Intel with new chipsets and Nvidia will continue to sell AMD chipsets. It only makes sense from a business perspective.

There are no doubt other benefits that people will come up with as the days go by. Frankly, I don't see any downsides that make any true sense from a business perspective.

I'm pretty sure there are 'secrets' that AMD doesn't share with third parties with respect to their architecture, that ATI would now have access to.

Natoma said:
I'm pretty sure there are 'secrets' that AMD doesn't share with third parties with respect to their architecture, that ATI would now have access to.

All i can think of now is the coherent part of the Hypertransport spec, and even that is being licensed anyways, under the new "Torrenza" program (for 3rd party co-processors on an standard AMD CPU socket).

epicstruggle said:
Read somewhere very recently that Intel is dropping ATI for their chipsets.
Intel won't sell more MB with Intel brand and ATi chipset inside...
No wonder, few months ago they had no IGP capable of running Vista + chipset deficit and they had to use ATi or NV chipset... AFAIK it was small wonder - for few months Intel selling MBs not with their own chipset...

Pete said:
Oh, the stories Dave could tell--or at least the one-word meta-(crypto-?)stories he could imply
Oh, but he made that... note how many posts he has in this thread... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
epicstruggle said:
Read somewhere very recently that Intel is dropping ATI for their chipsets.

ATI will continue to make chipsets for Intel products as a third party like Nvidia (unless the AMD merger kills that business), just Intel are now making their own chipsets for Conroe, so won't be supplying ATI chipsets under their own banner any longer.

If this goes through, I'm rather pessimistic as to its outcome for us as customers. All the synergies or a possibly enlarged integration of ATi's and AMD's products will lead to less competition in the GPU market. (and more of that dreadful, software-limited Sli/Crossfire blunder)

Also, I fail to see why AMD would want to produce ATi's comparatively huge and slow chips in its rather expensive FABs, especially given the margins they command.

What I'd be interested to see, though, would be whether such combination would change the GPU design directions from wide (big) & slow to a leaner, smaller design taking advantage of the clocking headroom AMD's experience and production may afford.

cu

incurable

PS: And I'd feel sorry for Dave, too. Looking at their CPU (only) business, this is not the time to be bought by AMD, and ending up on their payroll.

Well AMD will finally be able to make their own brand of chipset with the aquisition of AMD. This will surely help the to improve the image of AMD as the general public believe that own brand of chipset tends to be much more stable.

Also it will also mean their chipset IGP will be far better then intel 's one. Making the whole AMD platform much more valuable for money. ( With the Price fourth coming price cut of AMD )

Intel should have grabbed PowerVR team long ago.

phenix said:
Wouldn't this hurt Nvidia badly since they will be kicked out of AMD chipset bussiness?

How are they going to be "kicked out of the AMD chipset business"? You're expecting a "cease and desist" letter from AMD's lawyers?

I think this is a great opportunity for nvidia, if the merger goes through, ati and amd for a few months will not be running at 100% efficiency. People will be steping on each others toes.

epic

Why do I forsee a 3dfx/STB fiasco as the result of any AMD/ATI merger? Am I the only one thinking it would end up that badly?

BRiT said:
Why do I forsee a 3dfx/STB fiasco as the result of any AMD/ATI merger? Am I the only one thinking it would end up that badly?

Hmm, maybe AMD should have been more foward thinking and picked up 3dfx years ago for pennys on the dollar.

BRiT said:

Hence, the rumour flying about the "green turn" at TUL/Powercolor a few weeks ago...;)

BRiT said:
It will be a few months until we see whether or not it will work out or not.

BRiT said:

The mistake 3dfx/STB made was that they barred all 3rd party graphics makers from selling voodoo cards, thus driving them to the hands of Nvidia. AMD/ATI most certainly won't make that mistake. Not even Intel keeps third parties from supplying motherboards and chipsets.

It'd be financial suicide. Hence the reason why Nvidia will continue to supply AMD chipsets and ATI will continue to supply Intel chipsets.

Natoma said:
The mistake 3dfx/STB made was that they barred all 3rd party graphics makers from selling voodoo cards, thus driving them to the hands of Nvidia. AMD/ATI most certainly won't make that mistake. Not even Intel keeps third parties from supplying motherboards and chipsets.

It'd be financial suicide. Hence the reason why Nvidia will continue to supply AMD chipsets and ATI will continue to supply Intel chipsets.

ATI will be AMD if this happens. Are suggesting that AMD will supply Intel chipsets?

Well you guys I know are aware of this I am sure.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32737

Yes I know its the inquirer but they do get scoops regularly.

Now the Inquirer has this.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33185

Everyone can draw their own conclusions from this info . This is my take.

Intel is working on their own on die GPU and has AMD shaken up. It will be easy for Intel to create a very powerful ondie GPU. Now I don't really know how Vista API works but from what I understand Vista will run the GPU so Intel doesn't have to create an end all driver set for Vista OS.

With the announcement on next Monday that the Merger has been approved by both companies directors and awaits shareholder approval . Does not mean That AMD will be allowed to aquirer ATI . There is one very big hurrdle to jump. That being NV.

If this merger is allowed it will kill NV as a company . For the reasons all ready covered here. AMD would develop its own ondie GPU with ATI's help and Intel already developing its own ondie GPU . Were would this leave NV. Up a creek without a paddle. Even tho I like ATI way better than NV I don't want to see competion killed. This merger isn't about today its about Intels Nehalem cpu that will use ondie GPU (possiablely Geshner) . Basicly if this merger goes threw NV has to find a CPU partner. Since Intel is out of the question what is NV to do . If I was NV I would stick it to both Intel and AMD a partner up with the Godson cpu's produced in China.

So what do you guys think now

Last edited by a moderator:
phenix said:
ATI will be AMD if this happens. Are suggesting that AMD will supply Intel chipsets?

ATI branded chipsets, yes. It's a good source of revenue, and that's what matters in the end. The bottom line. If ATI stopped producing Intel chipsets it wouldn't hurt Intel one iota. Nvidia would take up the slack for their bottom line and Intel can most certainly survive on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back