Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

sfried

Regular
From next months Nintendo Power. Already proven by various websites to not be a hoax.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to the scans, but it looking to have some impressive lighting, given Climax's other offering, Overlord Dark Legend.

According to the producer, it's a "reimagining" of the first silent hill and not a remake or a port. Honestly, it doesn't sound like a BS claim. There's a lot of new mechanics and the graphics (from blurry scans) look alright. The scans show the flashlight creating a real-time shadow on some bar stools.

Basic summary of some of the gameplay changes/improvements:

*Your answers and even your behavior during the gameplay affect who you meet, what you see, and a bunch of other things. The game tries to twist your expectations.

*The wiimote is your "cell phone". Random static comes out of the wiimote speaker. So you can choose to call 911 and the operator's voice comes out from the wiimote but she can't hear you so she eventually hangs up. It sounds like it'll be a major gameplay element in the rest of the game but I didn't play the first SH so I don't know.

*They removed the combat. You can only flee from an enemy which is supposed to be "considerably more terrifying". When running away from enemies, you can jump over and create obstacles and even choose what path to take. This isn't a QTE and the enemies will take alternate paths to try to cut you off and flank you. Static from your wiimote increases as the enemies get closer and this is all in first person so you can look over your shoulder if you want.

*There's some other really unique wiimote mechanics. You can look at an object of interest and rather than seeing text, the main character narrates an observation. The wiimote is also used for controlling the flashlight and for some puzzles.

*No load times.

I've been really disappointed with most of the wii-exclusive software after Mario Galaxy but this sounds amazing. It might have everything that I could want from a Wii-exclusive horror game.

One must say that is quite ironic the number of horror/gore based games that is coming for Wii, at least RE, Dead Space, Madworld and now SH.

How many for PS3/360/PC?

It's pretty crappy that they took out the combat but eveything else sounds awesome.This game should also come out on the 360 and PS3 as well, as the graphics would look amazing on those 2 platforms..

One must say that is quite ironic the number of horror/gore based games that is coming for Wii, at least RE, Dead Space, Madworld and now SH.

How many for PS3/360/PC?

I wouldn't include Madworld in that lineup, really. Maybe add Manhunt 2 instead, but I'm not so sure. Since we're counting Dead Space Wii, we probably want to count Umbrella Chronicles and all the HotD games on Wii. Fatal Frame 4 is also only on Wii, though it may never leave Japan.

Anyway, PS360 have... RE, Dead Space and Silent Hill. Plus the two Condemned games and both FEAR games plus Siren on the PS3. And Jericho, I suppose. If we add Madworld and go just with 'gore game', Ninja Gaiden 2 might fit. There's probably more.

It seems about even, but proportionately to other 'traditional' games, yeah, the Wii has a lot.

I wouldn't include Madworld in that lineup, really. Maybe add Manhunt 2 instead, but I'm not so sure. Since we're counting Dead Space Wii, we probably want to count Umbrella Chronicles and all the HotD games on Wii. Fatal Frame 4 is also only on Wii, though it may never leave Japan.

Anyway, PS360 have... RE, Dead Space and Silent Hill. Plus the two Condemned games and both FEAR games plus Siren on the PS3. And Jericho, I suppose. If we add Madworld and go just with 'gore game', Ninja Gaiden 2 might fit. There's probably more.

It seems about even, but proportionately to other 'traditional' games, yeah, the Wii has a lot.

You'd probably also want to add Left for Dead to that list. And Cthulhu. And there was another game based on Lovecraft with Cthulhu themes that I can't remember. I suppose it depends how far back you want to go in time. As there have been tons of horror themed games on PC. System Shock, System Shock 2, Thief series (granted Thief just had some horror themed levels) for example. And there have been plenty of games inspired by Lovecraft. HotD also has a version for PC I believe, but it's an older game.

Dead Rising and coming up Dead Rising 2 should be added for X360. The Darkness was billed as having supernatural horror.

If we wanted to add in gorey type games. Well that number could easily rise to 100 or more including PC games and depending on how far back you want to go. Or just include games that will still run on PC. Especially when you consider many of the Wii ones are just ports/remakes of existing console games.

I'm assuming we're only talking about games that run on current gaming platforms. PC/PS3/X360 and Wii. Otherwise that number grows by quite a bit if you include PS1/PS2/Xbox/etc...

Regards,
SB

You guys forgot about Cursed Mountain for the Wii.

There's also a canceled but might be brought back to life horror game called Winter for the Wii.

You guys also forgot about games like Obscure 2 and Escape From Bug Island for the Wii. Neither are good games, but they are definitely horror (and horrible) titles.

There's the horror title called LIT recently released on WiiWare.

Oh, and just this week's Famitsu, the Japanese director of Grudge just announced a new Wii horror title called Feel. There was also a prototype of some horror game from Hudson a few months ago for the Wii. No word on the status of that game.

Oh, and just this week's Famitsu, the Japanese director of Grudge just announced a new Wii horror title called Feel. There was also a prototype of some horror game from Hudson a few months ago for the Wii. No word on the status of that game.

I was reading about that. I wonder if the US version will star Sarah Michelle Gellar.

IGN preview: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/971/971316p2.html

Seems like its pretty good looking, especially the flashlight:

Silent Hill's 3D engine is one of the best on Wii. You will, of course, see the return of filtered graphics, a stable of the franchise, but the character designs and animation, the make-up of the environments and the effects that bring everything together are all nothing short of amazing. The single most impressive thing about the game is the flashlight, which frankly kicks the one in Namco's action-RPG Fragile to the curb. It's perfectly mapped to the Wii remote so that Harry can quickly point and illuminate anything on-screen and it simply looks incredible. It casts shadows on just about everything -- even on snow flakes. And all the while, the framerate never hiccups.

They also mention that PS2 and PSP versions are planned for a later release.

It's pretty crappy that they took out the combat but eveything else sounds awesome.This game should also come out on the 360 and PS3 as well, as the graphics would look amazing on those 2 platforms..

That may not be such a good idea for those types of consoles and their casua/hardcore fanbase that will most likely resent the fact that they are not killing something with a gun or weapon.

Then again after the limitless ammo in Silent Hill Homecoming this idea is a breath of fresh air...

More importantly the idea of removing the combat was to accomodate the Wii mote controls as Wii mote users already have alot to worry about as far as controls.

I loved the first silent hill game :D

It still averages $50 USD in near mint condition, I wager the price will go higher.

*The wiimote is your "cell phone". Random static comes out of the wiimote speaker. So you can choose to call 911 and the operator's voice comes out from the wiimote but she can't hear you so she eventually hangs up. It sounds like it'll be a major gameplay element in the rest of the game but I didn't play the first SH so I don't know.

OMG I cannot wait to see some of the girls who have Nintendo Wii play this game, I bet its going to be far more exciting than handing them the PS2 controller and sitting right next to them. :p

I'm not at all concerend about the lack of combat.There are more than enough choices of games if you want combat and this might present an interesting twist that you might end up liking for what it is.
Although if it's just running away it might get a little boring. Maybe there is some form of combat that they aren't fully explaining just yet. Something like the Camera Obscura in Fatal Frame,a game series which I really enjoyed even though it had no traditional weapons.
As long as it's fun and scary that's all that matters for a horror game.

I'm not at all concerend about the lack of combat.There are more than enough choices of games if you want combat and this might present an interesting twist that you might end up liking for what it is.
Although if it's just running away it might get a little boring. Maybe there is some form of combat that they aren't fully explaining just yet. Something like the Camera Obscura in Fatal Frame,a game series which I really enjoyed even though it had no traditional weapons.
As long as it's fun and scary that's all that matters for a horror game.

Of course there has to be some form of combat in this game, but its going to deviate away from the traditional form of combat as some Japanese game developers have attempted with in the past with games like the PS3 Siren or the European developed game Heavy Rain where running away and hiding make for exciting game play.

The problem will be the traditional casuals and hardcore base who will usually frown at an actual challenge from the game because they do not want to break their comfort bubble of being able to get a gun to shoot and kill.

It stands to reason why this Silent Hill type is being attempted on platforms with high console penetration, specially with the Wii being over 50 million, add that Silent Hill also has a movie that even Nintendo Wii owners would have seen or heard about and there is a good chance of potential in terms of sales.

Of course there has to be some form of combat in this game, but its going to deviate away from the traditional form of combat as some Japanese game developers have attempted with in the past with games like the PS3 Siren or the European developed game Heavy Rain where running away and hiding make for exciting game play.

The problem will be the traditional casuals and hardcore base who will usually frown at an actual challenge from the game because they do not want to break their comfort bubble of being able to get a gun to shoot and kill.

It stands to reason why this Silent Hill type is being attempted on platforms with high console penetration, specially with the Wii being over 50 million, add that Silent Hill also has a movie that even Nintendo Wii owners would have seen or heard about and there is a good chance of potential in terms of sales.

Which makes me wonder,what kind of gameplay mechanic or device could they
use to substitute traditional combat or weapons. It could be anything but only certain things would make sense. Maybe traps? Maybe they will allow you to use traps or items that slow the creatures down. Or something entirely different.

Which makes me wonder,what kind of gameplay mechanic or device could they
use to substitute traditional combat or weapons. It could be anything but only certain things would make sense. Maybe traps? Maybe they will allow you to use traps or items that slow the creatures down. Or something entirely different.

True, but I also suspect alot of Wii-mote stuff to bring the feeling of panic and desperation in the player who will probably end up turning the lights on and actually dialing 911 :p

This sort of thing isn't new, though. The Clock Tower series and Haunting ground all did 'no combat'. I'm almost certain that the market Konami will be trying to reach with this game is the horror game afficionados and the Silent Hill fans, which are just a niche of the 'hardcore'.

But I can see why they'd put it on Wii (and supposedly PSP): it's cheaper. Not everyone can make HD games and not every game can sell enough to account for it.

Back