SIFU [PS4, PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

Reviews seems praises the visuals and gameplay. But how about the story? Is it immersive? Or pretty much just an excuse to punch people?

Not much story. This is more like a rogue-like score attack arcade experience. 5 levels in the game.

But it's really well done with excellent video game fight mechanics and feedback combined with impressive fighting animations.

Regards,
SB

Seems to be gathering a fair few complaints on cultural appropriation. It seems like the developer missed an opportunity there, given the game's clearly a love letter to certain films. Insomniac did an interesting GDC post mortem on Ghosts. There are reasons why that game avoided such complaints and was richer for doing so.

Look forward to playing it at some point though. Sounds interesting. Sadly I know I'll be crap at it, so that's putting me off buying it straight away. :D

Seems to be gathering a fair few complaints on cultural appropriation. It seems like the developer missed an opportunity there, given the game's clearly a love letter to certain films. Insomniac did an interesting GDC post mortem on Ghosts. There are reasons why that game avoided such complaints and was richer for doing so.

Look forward to playing it at some point though. Sounds interesting. Sadly I know I'll be crap at it, so that's putting me off buying it straight away. :D

Off topic a bit, but I don't get that feeling about the game. But then I grew up as an Asian-American in a time when there actually was blatant racial bias against Asians in many places in the US, versus today where I see virtually none of it. At least back then in the 60's and 70's African American's had a lot of African American role models they could look up to. Us Asian Americans? We had Bruce Li and even he had a tougher time than prominent African Americans in getting accepted by the general public. :p

That said, claims of cultural appropriation always confuse me. Usually that only happens from people who admire a culture so much that they attempt to emulate parts of that culture. However, when I hear the term used in modern society it's usually associated with the stigmata of racism. Which flies entirely against why people would attempt to emulate parts of a foreign culture. Racism means you dislike another race and therefore anything associated with that race. People emulating (modern term: culturally appropriating) things from another race are doing so because they genuinely like and admire the people and culture of another race. They want to be more like that other race or at least they wish that parts of their culture was more like parts of that other race's culture.

Sometimes I get the feeling that many people of today don't really understand the words that are coming out of their mouth. :p If a black man were to wear lederhosen, should we label them as a racist that is culturally appropriating things from Germans? It's all nonsense. Even more nonsense when you consider that the US more than any other country is a melting pot of races which each adopting things from other races.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Graphics are pretty nice and stylish but I’m starting to get a bit bored of these games with technically simplistic graphics that must have a lot of headroom for more advanced effects such as RT on PS5, yet nothing of the sort is included. Oh well. Still a very pretty game.
Yeah, it reminds me of PS2's era (even if this game's graphics are obviously more advanced), when we started to see these cell-shaded or stylised graphics more often.

I just installed. Haven't looked yet, but I really like the artwork from what I've seen in the trailers. These type of graphics actually have a lot of function too. Readability is an issue with a lot of modern games. If you're playing something super casual, then the visuals don't need to be clean, but if you're playing something incredibly punishingly hard or competitive, then maximizing reading of enemies etc is very important.

Just played for a few minutes, the battles are fun indeed. anyway
  1. no HDR. Even with the game executable renamed still no autoHDR. Maybe need to change its DXGI Flip mode? Anyone know an injector that can do it? i forgot the name
  2. very bad surround sound. Most come just from front left and right.
  3. very flat audio dynamic range
  4. dualsense have no vibration, but buttons are properly detected
Ah turns out the exe rename didnt work. EGS DRM automatically force use the real original exe name.

Last edited:
Just played for a few minutes, the battles are fun indeed. anyway
  1. no HDR. Even with the game executable renamed still no autoHDR. Maybe need to change its DXGI Flip mode? Anyone know an injector that can do it? i forgot the name
  2. very bad surround sound. Most come just from front left and right.
  3. very flat audio dynamic range
On PS5 at least, the sound is extremely well done.

Game looks really nice. Tried native and DLSS Quality and both look very good. I don't need DLSS with my gpu, so playing native. I can tell the game will be very hard for me.

Just something to keep in mind.

I've been hearing that once you unlock shortcuts in the game, if you use a shortcut the game's difficulty will increase.

So, if you are having difficulty in some parts of the game, you may not want to use shortcuts in that part of the game until you start to have less problems with the enemies.

Regards,
SB

I am VERY intrigued by this game, but with Elden Ring and Horizon in the next few weeks, my gaming budget for this month is already gone lol. Definitely will be getting it sometime in the future.

I had a loooot of time to have so much fun with a game.
The fact that by the 10th time you go through an area, you just smoke everyone, while the first time you went through it you wasted a few decades of your characters life is insanely satisfying.
It is hard, yeah, but when you go through a perfect run of an area, you feel like a kung fu god! :p

And no, the graphics do not look like PS2 graphics...
God damn it, I bet those who say things like that were not even alive then :D

Edit.
It's two o'clock in the morning, I'm working tomorrow and I can't stop playing...
They know the engine, Epic do your thing and give them the Matrix license asap.

Last edited:

So there's really something wrong with the pc port audio system.

1. No vibration at all on dualsense
2. Only runs in stereo

I suspect the same audio bug broke surround audio AND dualsense vibration. As dualsense vibration actually use audio funneled to dualsense rear speakers.

Dualsense basically acts as quadrophonic speakers. So 2 front channels for the headphone jack, 2 rear channels for the HD Haptic vibration.

I had a loooot of time to have so much fun with a game.
The fact that by the 10th time you go through an area, you just smoke everyone, while the first time you went through it you wasted a few decades of your characters life is insanely satisfying.
It is hard, yeah, but when you go through a perfect run of an area, you feel like a kung fu god! :p

And no, the graphics do not look like PS2 graphics...
God damn it, I bet those who say things like that were not even alive then :D

Edit.
It's two o'clock in the morning, I'm working tomorrow and I can't stop playing...
They know the engine, Epic do your thing and give them the Matrix license asap.

I just wish theres more slow motion mode. Maybe accessibility option or a game speed modifier or something. The game is so damn fast, my fingers and brain and eyes cannot follow LOL.

Back