Should Sony have waited with PS4 Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's a case of stemming console owners switching to PC for playing the lastest multiplats..then I would think Scorpio is going absorb more of them than Pro simply because it is the more powerful console.

Again, if the MORE is more like more then I'm not sure it matters if it costs MORE, or even just more.

The "stop console users from going the pc route" angle has actually worked for me. When a console generation is passing 4-5 years I usually buy a new pc, I got a good gaming pc in 2010 that was destroying the ps3 /xbox360. Now I just don't even care for buying a new gaming pc, the pro&scorpio are enough for my graphics' needs.

PS5 early development have supposedly been leaked...

chip-tester-leiterplatte-tn.jpg

Your move, Microsoft!

PS5 early development have supposedly been leaked...

chip-tester-leiterplatte-tn.jpg

Your move, Microsoft!
Microsofts move to leak about console after Scorpio?
or was that from wherever you got story from?

if Sony started straight after 4pro release they would be less than a year into planning/development!
doubt they started sooner, as they was working on both ps4slim & 4pro, not including vr

Sony maybe dropped the ball in their need for a small formfactor to fit PS4 Pro in tiny itty bitty 10inchx10inch japanese micro apartments and skyhigh electricity rates. They could have ramped those clock speeds up and used a larger centrifugal fan like MS to get to +5 tflops, and add another 64bit memory controller to widen the mem interface to 320bit.
For a midgen enthusiast product you have to eek more out of your silicon, since you only get 1 chance to make an SKU. Can't just release a higher end Pro 1 year later or you'll disenfranchise and alienate and anger some of your 1st adopter consumer base who just spent $400 a year ago on a system that can't even deliver 1080p 60fps.

Last edited:
I really wish people would stop saying that.

Yes Japanese homes are small but even in my 20m2 crappy one room apartment the size of a console is going to make fuck all difference.

Same for power consumption. My apartment is built out of paper with piss poor insulation but even in summer with the air conditioning running in tundra mode 16/7 and my PC's and tv turned on I still only pay 30 or so bucks a month. A console, even a power hungry one, isn't going to make much of a difference when I didn't even notice much of a difference when I bought R9 290. That thing alone uses as much power as a whole console.

It may be old news but the same line was quoted again in the recent article by the WSJ.
Sony's forecast of PS4 unit sales in FY17 is modest.

https://www.slashgear.com/next-playstation-console-to-debut-in-2018-predicts-analyst-30483678/
This news comes from the Wall Street Journal, which refers to a prediction from Damian Thong, an analyst with Macquarie Capital Securities. Thong believes that Sony is planning to release a “next-generation PlayStation” by the end of 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back