Shooting at Virginia Tech.... (this morning)

NEVER! :oops:

It was a simple misunderstanding that was all taken care of by making it disappear unless you join the forum specifically.

Well for me it doesn't exist.

Hey Geo, you didn't believe me when I said I'll stay away from there, so whaddaya think now? :cool:

You need to sign up to the Religion, Politics, Socio-Economics forum. You can do this from the "group membership" options on the left column of your user control panel.

It's probably a better forum for this thread.

i disagree, thats like saying there should/could be no mature discussions related to world events in the general forums.

Personally im kinda surprised he was able to do that much damage with a 22 and a 9mm handgun and that not one person was successfully able to tackle him down before or during. Thats a huge amount of death to inflict with just pistols, especially a 22 and 9mm which are in many cases going to require multiple shots to, excuse my bluntness, put the person down permanently.

i disagree, thats like saying there should/could be no mature discussions related to world events in the general forums.

Are you suggesting that it's impossible to have a mature discussion in RPSEC? ;)

The reason why I said that is because such threads always, always, always, involve the reasons why such things happen, and what could be done to prevent it, and that in turn always involves the American relationship with guns and how easy it is to get hold of them.

Personally im kinda surprised he was able to do that much damage with a 22 and a 9mm handgun and that not one person was successfully able to tackle him down before or during. Thats a huge amount of death to inflict with just pistols, especially a 22 and 9mm which are in many cases going to require multiple shots to, excuse my bluntness, put the person down permanently.

Maybe he was good at Time Crisis, and the last thing he wanted to do in his life was find out if that translated to reality at all ... .

Anyway, I agree that the special forum is the place for this. It is very hard to discuss something like this outside of religious or cultural contexts. I'd recommend this thread to be closed, now that a link is present to the RSPC with proper instructions on how to view them.

iThats a huge amount of death to inflict with just pistols, especially a 22 and 9mm which are in many cases going to require multiple shots to, excuse my bluntness, put the person down permanently.

I can understand the part about 22 caliber, but 9mm is pretty much as big as pistols come, if you shoot somebody to the chest with 9mm I'm quessing the victim is not going to tackle anyone after that.

Anyways a horrible tradegy and I was saddened when I heard about this yesterday.

I can understand the part about 22 caliber, but 9mm is pretty much as big as pistols come, if you shoot somebody to the chest with 9mm I'm quessing the victim is not going to tackle anyone after that.

Anyways a horrible tradegy and I was saddened when I heard about this yesterday.

IIRC there is a now quite common 10mm variant that is preferred for it's extra stopping power.

.22's are preferred by some mafia hitmen because they are small and easily concealed, relatively easy to silence, and the bullets tend to tumble. At close range, they are still pretty effective. There have been occasions where .22 rounds have bounced off skulls and the like, so they do carry less energy.

Well the problem with 9mm isnt so much that its not going to be lethal but that its casing/propellent is considered by many too small for the bullet to be effective at stopping a target immediatly. For example many militaries and even a number of law enforcement officers still swear by the .45 do to many reports of repeated shots required from 9mm weapons to stop the target. Its power also rapidly diminishes as distance increases.

9mm is actually about as small as most law enforcement angencies get these days so i'd argue that saying its as big as they come isnt exactly correct either. its favored mainly due to a large magazine size in many popular weapons, Glock 17/M9 Barretta for example, and its combination of lethality but its not going to go through the target then through a few walls before stopping reducing the chance of harming others that may be in the area. Another plus is the recoil is very managable compared to the 45 or especially 357.

I dont know, 30 people or more just really surprised me with that little bit of firepower, i honestly expected the culprit to be some form of submachine gun, unfortunetly it was problably like a deer in the headlights scenario where people were just so shocked they didnt even think to react.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back