Setting up a home network

mkillio

Regular
So I've gone through all of the windows xp steps that I believe I have to go through. The three computers I setup are showing on the network. I can access all of them from computer '1' and I can access computers '2' and '3' from '2' and '3' but I can't access '1' from '2' or '3'. Everytime I try and connect to it, it says "You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator pf this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

Any ideas? I've also set up a network drive on computer '1' but I can't access that from the other computers either.

mkillio said:
So I've gone through all of the windows xp steps that I believe I have to go through. The three computers I setup are showing on the network. I can access all of them from computer '1' and I can access computers '2' and '3' from '2' and '3' but I can't access '1' from '2' or '3'. Everytime I try and connect to it, it says "You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator pf this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

Any ideas? I've also set up a network drive on computer '1' but I can't access that from the other computers either.

First of all, are you using WinXP home or Professional?

However, this is most likely a firewall problem. Are you sure you have disabled all firewalls on Computer 1?

Moreover, try this website: it has interactive FAQ that points you in the right direction: http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm
This site works only in IE, though.

Furthermore, http://www.ethereal.com/ is quite a useful network tool. It creates log-files, etc.

Pro on all of them. And for some reason I can't even choose what the firewall is set to but it is set to disabled on one and enabled on 2 and 3.

First, can you ping them? Start -> run -> cmd -> "ping computername"

If you can do that, you need to make sure they're all in the same workgroup. Start -> right click My computer, select Properties, Computer name, Change. Make sure they all have the same workgroup name listed.

Next, check if you have shared at least one drive of each computer. My computer -> right click a drive, sharing, and depending on your configuration select either "new share", or "yes, I understand the risks, but I want to enable sharing anyway" (or something like that).

If all that is fine, make a user on each computer with the same name and the same password. Log in as that user on a random computer, and... it works!

;)

Btw, I would advise you to turn off simple file sharing in the explorer view options. That makes it a lot easier.

Back