Scheduled maintenance - Friday 22nd April 2016 @ 7am BST

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Rys, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

I had some maintenance planned for this coming weekend, but I'll now be busy for most of it so I'll get it done tomorrow morning first thing instead. I've just run through it a few times in staging and the software updates apply cleanly, so it should only take 1-2 mins.

If for whatever reason I break things, head to the Beyond3D Twitter account for my weak excuses and a timeline for fixes.

2. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

:idea: Will most of the time spent offline be for cleansing of the Console Forums?

3. milk

Veteran Regular

Will the new version of the forum be backwards and foward compatible. Is a minimum of 1080p resolution gonna be mandated in the beyond3d Neo?

4. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

Will there be VR enablement? Will it force us to upgrade our browsing systems to make the most out of B3D-4K ?

5. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Beyond3D forum minspec: Xeon E5-2699v3, 256GB RAM, GP100 SLI, two KNL Xeon Phis, 10TB of storage with >= 2000MB/s R/W, four Dell UP2715s. One for a thread list, two for writing posts and 1 for the Instagram page for my dogs. Swap out that Dell for a Vive or Rift when Instagram add VR support to pet photography.

Then that DGX-1 8 GP100 thing to train a neural net to recognise Al's DOA pictures in a thread and replace them with pics from my Instagram using a classifier running on the SLI GP100s on your client. The Phis are for massively parallel AVX-512 accelerated JS runtimes to run the shitty ad code and all the trackers without slowing down your browser. Runtime GC in all that epic MCDRAM will be nice. 256GB RAM for all the tabs you'll have open, 18 CPU cores because 18 is quite a nice number.

Kaarlisk, BRiT and milk like this.
  6. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

Damn, I'll definitely need to upgrade my system. Just when I thought I was maybe set on the core front with my dual CPU Intel Xeon E5-2670, but I guess not, so my 16-core 32-thread CPU won't have enough oomph and not enough ram with 128GBs. Also despite having 10TB of storage in parity protected array, only the cache drive has bandwidth throughput, the rest is in a non-data stripped raid-4 setup so the drive speed is limited to that of a single physical spinner drive.

7. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

All done, give me a nudge if you spot anything weird.