SCE shakes up top-level management

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Titanio, Nov 30, 2006.

1. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Makes sense. But one has to wonder whether or not Sony is doing this for appearances sake. Firing or resignations at this point would be admitting failure. Thus, could have a negative effect on the sales of the PS3. Plus, promotions would allow for the right people to get into to the right position without the negative connatation of firings, resignations or demotions.

2. -tkf-

Legend

And if Blu-Ray is a succes, both as a Video format and a Console format? Ruler of the world ? :)

3. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

This a promotion in title but really he's being stripped of his powers. I wouldn't be too shocked if his desicions can be overturned by a board vote or if Kaz retains full operational control of the gaming division and his word overrides Ken's.

The PS3 launch has certainly been less than stellar. The PSP is getting creamed by the DS Lite. The only solution to the diode problem is to keep opening up more production facilities and deal with the yield issues. There is no miracle breakthrough around the corner. Blu Ray has not established itself as a DVD replacement. If you believe the recent article, Sony lost GTA and Assassin's Creed exclusives (perhaps others) to due Ken.

We can speculate the future all day but the recent past hasn't been too great for Sony and a change was needed. However Ken is too much of a "PR figure" to simply remove or demote. Either one would send a ton of negative ripples and uncertainty throughout. Thus the slick way of handling the situation is to actually promote him to a hands off role with a bigger title but no operation control.

4. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

That statement is only true if PSP sales are suffering because of DS's successes. The fact DS is selling well doesn't mean PSP is selling badly (just been talking about this on another thread). If DS didn't exist, would all those people be buying the pricier and very different PSP? Chances are, no. And if PSP isn't losing sales to DS, it's not getting creamed by DS. It's operating in a different market. By comparison, If Mr. Men books outsell Harry Potter 2.5x to one, that doesn't mean Rowling is getting creamed by Hargreaves. They're selling to 2 different markets, and if Mr. Men didn't exist, Rowling wouldn't be selling any more books.

Now PSP probably isn't doing as well in it's sales as it should be, being a somewhat neglected platform, and i dare say someone should have been making more of an effort with it. I don't think the DS has had much of an impact though. It's not as though the moment DS Lite appeared, PSP sales dropped considerable. I think they've remained very consistent. Sony should have released all the upgrades, the motion detector, the GPS, and added decent software, games, download services, GPS maps on demand etc., to add value to the platform. This is actually what's let Sony down. Their PS devices have loads of potential and promises behind them, but the execution is lacking, including silly mistakes and oversights that have a dramatic impact on the experience. A few changes here and their in the software and services side would make the products really shine, and I hope for Sony's sake this shakeup does just that.

5. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

You're joking, right? Bluray is meant to provide a steady stream of licence fee revenues for Sony, replacing their CD patents...

6. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/f6728ed8-8095-11db-9096-0000779e2340.html

Have fun discussing this, folks!

Try to keep it clean, though. :wink:

StefanS likes this.
  7. scooby_dooby

Legend

That would truly suck, I don't want to see a virtual MS monopoly.

8. wco81

Legend

Here's another take from the WSJ, which seems to quote the same Nomura analyst. But it said nothing about Sony getting out of gaming HW:

#28 wco81, Nov 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2006
  9. patsu

Legend

:lol2: Yes, Sony needs to change. The question is what kind ? I doubt Sony is concerned with promotion/demotion at this stage. They got a train going, they have to find the best way to steer and fuel it.

Based on this shuffling, we can guess that...

Its larger strategy seems intact (BTW, expecting Blu-ray to dethrone DVD in 1 year is unrealistic; but losing marketshare and exclusives are causes of concern). It's the execution that will change.

As a CEO, Kutaragi has the strategic decision and execution power. As Chairman, he can also control the flow of SCE board meetings. This means that he is still "the man" but his focus is not fire-fighting or short term needs anymore.

Kaz took the President/COO role, which means that he executes under the directions from Ken. If he's more familiar with software than Kutaragi, then he can execute better in this area. This is actually the best part of the news. ;)

The major regions are represented by Kutaragi (Japan), Kaz (US) and David Reeves (Europe)

The rest are supporting function (CFO) and their bosses.

Looks normal to me. But other than better clarity and focus for the folks involved, there is really not much to it. What I would expect from this board structure is better communications and execution on a worldwide level (More attuned to user needs globally)

As for Sony exiting hardware console business, it is very unlikely and em... very speculative. It just means that software is now a strategic part of the formula... now that the hardware is casted in stone.

10. dobwal

Legend Veteran

That analyst has more imagination than any poster I've ever met.

First time, I've seen someone take an Nintendo demise conspiracy theory and apply it Sony.

How about Harai promotion is the results of Kutaragi's lack of execution in regards to gaining AC and GTA4 as console exclusives. It can be assumed that Harai was hired to give more emphasis to software over hardware, but is not an indicator that Sony's going all software.

#30 dobwal, Nov 30, 2006
  11. patsu

Legend

In a nutshell, yes (assuming Hiraz is indeed a software guy). The other major benefit of this reorg is the communication platform between all 3 regions in the boardroom. This second point cannot be underestimated.

EDIT:
    Actually... my personal assessment is: The big/key PS3 difference will be delivered by none of the above. I'll bet on Phil, the undistracted and quiet SCEWW guy. If he does this voluntarily and SCEWW delivers the bomb, he's (and SCEE's) smarter than I thought :)

EDIT 2:
    Ok what wco81 highlighted, Sony officials say that the management change was decided internally within the unit., is significant too. Congrats and welcome to Phase 2. :D

#31 patsu, Nov 30, 2006
  12. Supernatural

Newcomer

Kutaragi's idea to use the PS3 as a troian horse for Blu-Ray was his doom.

13. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Hahahahahahahaha.:lol2: Thanks for that. I needed a laugh. Sony have ridden the two most successful consoles ever for a decade, and now before their next console is even both-feet-out-the-door, they're supposed to be planning to hang up their hats?

Sony going into software?!

I don't know what a person's background has to do necessarily with their future jobs either. CEO's (like politicians changing Cabinet position) often go from corporation to corporation regardless of their past company. Stringer's a journalist historically. Does that mean his appointment as CEO of Sony show Sony want to get out of hardware and into newspapers? Kaz Hirai started as marketting in Sony's music division...

Crazy talk.

#33 Shifty Geezer, Nov 30, 2006
  14. Magnum PI

Veteran

last gen it was nintendo who was supposed to stop hardware..
    now, very early in PS3 lifecycle, there are already ppl to claim there won't be a PS4.

this is not serious.

15. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

Well, Yuta Sakurai loves to wonder, I guess that much is proven...

But seriously the idea that Sony would pack up their bags and run out of the hardware game three weeks into their latest launch is simply absurd. Let's at least wait a year there Yuta before waxing poetic. ;) What do these people put on their resumes to get hired?

16. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

I think it's quite ok to say that the probability of Sony exiting the hardware market is as high as MS exiting the software market. Really... it's what they do and have done all their life...

17. Titanio

Legend

Some further comment from Sony..

Sony President, Ryoji Chubachi:

http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds/afx/2006/11/30/afx3218298.html

Sony spokesperson:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Technolo...-Sony-game-unit/2006/12/01/1164777734926.html

18. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

That article seems plausible. Now Hirai takes day-to-day game console business for the PS3. So what will Kutaragi do? You know it already, the PS3 supercomputing cluster known as the PS4 :wink:

19. wco81

Legend

Wait, Kaz is still working out of the US or going back to Japan headquarters?

But yeah, it seems Sony is recognizing the importance of the foreign subsidiaries more.

20. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

I find this article even more interesting that got lost after this news:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162509.html?tag=latestnews;title;2

"The software available for any console is crucial to its success. According to a report on the Bloomberg news service, developers may be thinking carefully about making games for the PlayStation 3 because of the number of sales required to put the projects in the black. Namco Bandai Holdings Inc. president Takeo Takasu has said in an interview that PS3 games must be a mass-market success. Games for the next-generation console cost an average of $8.6 million to create, according to Takasu, and need to sell 500,000 units before the developer can turn a profit."