Sarah Connor Chronicles

As for humanity's bleak future - one tenant of the terminator universe is the "the future is not written". Things can and are changed in the future by the actions we take today. That's why Skynet and the resistance send soldiers back in the first place. If the resistance fighters didn't belive that, they'd stop fighting and give up.

Wasn't the original reason for sending the Terminator back in time to kill Sarah Connor, because the machines were losing the war in the future and the resistance only wanted to ensure that John Connor lives and leads mankind to victory?

I really like Cameron.

You mean "River"? :) Largely the same character with another name. Not quite, but largely. Summer Glau is really stereotyping herself.

Sarah as a character is just getting annoying. She's always whining about how precious John is when he wants to do anything at all, and then is always rushing off to put herself (and by extension John) in danger for completely sentimental issues.

I find it fascinating they are all "fighting to keep Skynet from being born". . .when John would immediately go *poof!* if they succeeded. Cameron too, of course, but she's a machine anyway. At some point they need to deal with that in an episode or three.

OMG, excuse me but these "chronicles" are crap for teenagers no bigger than 12.
Please tell me the only reason people like all above in the thread watch "this" only because there is no other sci-fi series :(
Yes, I watched only first half of 1st season, I really tried to like it... but there were so many dumb moments - they don't even try to create a fictional world that is consistent.

I find it fascinating they are all "fighting to keep Skynet from being born". . .when John would immediately go *poof!* if they succeeded. Cameron too, of course, but she's a machine anyway.

Would they go poof though? I mean of course they wouldn't send Kyle or the machines back in that new future, but would it still have any effect on the past events in the current timeline? I don't think the past would change.

I find it fascinating they are all "fighting to keep Skynet from being born". . .when John would immediately go *poof!* if they succeeded. Cameron too, of course, but she's a machine anyway. At some point they need to deal with that in an episode or three.

It depends what universal rules they are going to use. They might just have people coming back changing the timeline in the future and that's that. Nothing changes in the present, but we're on a new track for the future.

Or like a lot of these kinds of show, they will fudge it and keep changing the rules on the effects of time travel that will have us throwing our hands in the air in disgust every time they decide stuff that wasn't allowed now suddenly works.

Just thought I'd chime in and say that I enjoy the series, for the most part. The recurring religiosity gets on my nerves, though.

Yeah my understanding is that they would not go poof. And that is why Arnie had to be melted down in T2.

It depends what universal rules they are going to use. They might just have people coming back changing the timeline in the future and that's that. Nothing changes in the present, but we're on a new track for the future.

Ah. Creating alternate universes. But then, if you don't know you've succeeded, you keep doing it and doing it. . . there is no way for them to know they've succeeded *unless* John goes *poof*.

The pilot was the worst I've seen in a long time... But overall, plot holes asside i find myself enjoying it till now. Shirley Manson was a nice surprise.

What's Wheddon doing these days? Seeing Summer Glau, I can't help myself but think of the greatness that was Firefly...

Getting up to speed on production of "The Doll House".

Just read a few things about it on wikipedia. Hope it will have the "Whedon dialogue" that I love about his projects. God why did they cancel Firefly...
Between Battlestar Galactica and Sarrah Connor I'd take firefly no questions asked...
What's with the "no humor policy" of these new shows anyway...

Just read a few things about it on wikipedia. Hope it will have the "Whedon dialogue" that I love about his projects. God why did they cancel Firefly...
Between Battlestar Galactica and Sarrah Connor I'd take firefly no questions asked...
I'd have to agree with you. And the reason they canceled it is because it didn't meet expectations: it was an expensive show to produce, but without nearly enough viewers to support its production. It might have done well had it been adequately marketed, and had it been allowed to stay on a bit longer to get word of mouth going. But the studio executives never let it get that far.

What's with the "no humor policy" of these new shows anyway...
Well, it really takes good writers to interweave humor well into what is otherwise a serious drama show. I just don't think that talent like that grows on trees.

I'd have to agree with you. And the reason they canceled it is because it didn't meet expectations: it was an expensive show to produce, but without nearly enough viewers to support its production. It might have done well had it been adequately marketed, and had it been allowed to stay on a bit longer to get word of mouth going. But the studio executives never let it get that far.

They actively sabotaged Firefly. The changes in running order, transmission times and days, skipped episodes, etc. It looks to me like someone commissioned it, and then before the first episode decided they (or someone else) didn't want it and so deliberately killed it off by doing everything they could to make sure it got poor viewing figures. They didn't even give the viewing public a chance to decide if they liked the show or not by effectively taking the opportunity to watch away from viewers.

Instead of firing the show, they should have fired the guy that commissioned it and then screwed it over.

Well, it really takes good writers to interweave humor well into what is otherwise a serious drama show. I just don't think that talent like that grows on trees.

I'm not sure it's only about talent. It has to do with the way you approach things as well. The guys and gals that write these shows don’t lack talent. The way it’s done nowadays it’s a collaboration of ideas from many people anyway. It’s the general direction that takes them to soap opera levels.
How much drama can we take for a whole season… How can we care about characters that never make us even smile, and stick with them for a year…

The plot can drive you for some time, but even when it’s good, the reason you usually stay is because of the characters. I think that Whedon gets that. What he also gets, is that sometimes you need to be caustic and satirical when it comes to your own creations.

I think that the success of shows like 24 (which I hate by the way) is the reason why everything is going down the path of semi realistic seriousness…
I know when I’m rumbling, so I’ll just stop.:LOL:

Oh, sure, of course it's in the approach as well. But what I'm saying is that I think you need more talent to write a good script that has a mix of good humor and good drama than it does to write one that is just serious all the time.

I find that when a script tries to do both but isn't good enough, it's quite often the humor that falls flat.

Then again, that can make for some very realistic humor ... :D

It makes me think of The Wire ... fairly realistic, but quite funny nonetheless. People make a lot of jokes all the time, going at least by my professional experience ;) - and the more mundane (or cynical) the job, the more room (or even need) for humor.

I never liked Firefly as much as others did. The whole U.S. revolution theme was terribly boring to me. The whole cowboy in space also a little. The one thing that really held it up for me was the excellent cast, and I liked the main (Summer Glau centered) storyline too.

Reading up on the Dollhouse, you can see how Summer Glau's role in FireFly was a spiritual successor, I think. Looks promising, and "They're then hired out for particular jobs, crimes, fantasies, and occasional good deeds" I think can offer a fair narrative and creative range to work with.

Haven't seen any episodes of SCC yet, I don't think it airs anywhere here.

Back