RV740 Announced: Mobility Radeon HD 4830/HD 4860

Well it's called 4860. So it's better match 4850. Or even be a little bit faster. No?
The mobility HD4850 (against which this mobility HD4860 is being compared and named) is lower performance than desktop HD4850, so we won't know till the desktop RV740 cards are actually announced :cry:

Fingers-crossed.

Jawed

So they are RV740 rather then RV770 then.. since they only have 640 Shader Core.....

If that is the case then it is noting special is it? Since we expect RV740 in April anyway

You'd say they'd make it a 4810 then. ;)
Perhaps. Or just specify one frequency.

I happen to have another lame inquiry.
AMD_ATI_Mobility_Radeon_HD_4860_03.jpg

mobility_radeon_hd_4570.jpg

What kind of a form factor & slot size is that? The Mobility HD 3800 was a standard MXM module. Has AMD started to use their proprietary form factor lately?

As partly offtopic, was there any other real reasons behind adopting MXM everwhere instead of ATIs AXIOM, except for nVidias marketing power / dragging more companies behind their solution?

What puzzles me are the lenient HD 4830 specifications. Clock it between 450 and 600 MHz and you can call it a 4830, eh?
I suspect core clock won't really make much of a performance difference since it will be quite limited by memory bandwidth anyway (if I'd were to buy a NB with such a mobility 4830 I'd be way more concerned about memory clock...).

I suspect core clock won't really make much of a performance difference since it will be quite limited by memory bandwidth anyway (if I'd were to buy a NB with such a mobility 4830 I'd be way more concerned about memory clock...).

I think you're right

Maybe it's 430 for the GPU's using the shared memory and 650 for the cards on an MXM module.

I think you're right

Maybe it's 430 for the GPU's using the shared memory and 650 for the cards on an MXM module.
mobility 4830 never use shared memory. But still the 128bit ddr3 (likely) will limit it (similar core clock to 4860 but half the memory bandwidth).

mobility 4830 never use shared memory. But still the 128bit ddr3 (likely) will limit it (similar core clock to 4860 but half the memory bandwidth).

Yes they do!

http://ati.amd.com/products/mobilityradeonhd4800/4860_index.html

check the 4860 says gddr5, the 4830 says gddr3/ddr3 (900 and 800mhz.) I'm pretty sure the inq said:

Memory-wise, the cheaper part, the 4830, will support a shared-memory architecture or dedicated VRAM, depending on the notebook model. The 4860 will have GDDR5 from Qimonda (yes, still churning out the memory).

The only problem is that DDR3 is not mentioned in the official press release since they only talk about GDDR3/5. that's why it doesn't get mentioned on most sites.

Yes they do!
Not really bashing the inq, but seriously that doesn't make any sense whatsover. Being non-igp chip it would need to access all memory through pcie. I don't think that's even theoretically possible (need some latency guarantees for display scanout), and even if it is that still makes no sense - even those poor 40 alu igps are quite memory bandwidth limited!

What's the big deal? About every GPU on the market today supports some kind of "TurboCache" / "HyperMemory" thingy, the mobile HD 4830 not being an exception. Of course if you put enough dedicated memory on the card (that would be the GDDR3/DDR3), you don't need the shared one (although the option is always there should you run out of graphic memory).

No the Mob 4830 does not use hypermemory.

It uses either specialized GDDR3 (higher clockspeed, excess inventory), or commercial RAM-like DDR3 (cheaper) modules, just like the desktop 4670 does.

More likely BIOS, though.
What if it was intentional?

AFAIK anything over _6__ in ATI's DX10+ series does not use HM.

My DXDiag wants to disagree with you, showing Approx total mem. for my HD3850 512MB at 2298MB, due the fact that it CAN use my main RAM too if needed.

My DXDiag wants to disagree with you, showing Approx total mem. for my HD3850 512MB at 2298MB, due the fact that it CAN use my main RAM too if needed.

WDDM management. Happens on my 2900XT, and obviously nVidia cards too. ;)

This is different from the "hypermemory" indication found in ATI's CCC, which shows the local (or non-OS-managed-shared?) memory of the GPU.

Back