Running software from server.

Thowllly

Regular
I don't even know the right terminology to ask these questions, but here goes...

1: If you have a network with lots of computers (running various Windows versions), and instead of installing all your software on all your PCs, you just want to install it on a server (running Win 2003) and run it from there on the other machines, how exactly do you go about doing that?

(I don't want to have the app running on the server with just the GUI showing up on the client (as I remember doing with some *nix os). I want to install programs only once on the sever, then have the other boxes loading the programfiles via the network and running it locally)

2: Is there a good site explaining this kind of stuff?

As you might already have guessed, this is not my area of expertise :oops:, so any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thowllly said:
(I don't want to have the app running on the server with just the GUI showing up on the client (as I remember doing with some *nix os). I want to install programs only once on the sever, then have the other boxes loading the programfiles via the network and running it locally)
depending on the application, this will either be possible or not possible. Most of the time, it is not possible, as the application will need to install its DLLs into system folders, make changes to the registry, etc.

Are you in a Active Directory domain? If so, you can push out applications very easily.

Feel free to email me at evan dot rowlett AT hccs dot edu
I do this kind of thing all day long for 1000+ workstations.

Althornin

Althornin said:
depending on the application, this will either be possible or not possible. Most of the time, it is not possible, as the application will need to install its DLLs into system folders, make changes to the registry, etc.
That is what I was afraid of. I guess there is no easy workaround for that.

Are you in a Active Directory domain?
I don't know, it's not my network. It's just someone how know even less than me about this who is trying to get me to help him out :p I haven't used AD before, but I have started to read up on it now (haven't learned much useful stuff yet though...)

If so, you can push out applications very easily.
Sounds interesting, but I don't know how to do that. Can you explain, or give a link to page explaining more? Also, do you know some good keywords for googling this subject?

Feel free to email me at evan dot rowlett AT hccs dot edu
I do this kind of thing all day long for 1000+ workstations.
Thanks man, I might do just that, but for now I post here in case there are more people here willing to help. (but if you prefer email my address is thowllly at gmail dot com)

Oh, and thanks for the super quick reply, I'll try to be quicker to reply myself. I'm going to bed now, but I'll be back online again in about six hours.

well, to push out an appllication with AD, first the application must be in a MSI installer form. If it doesnt ahve one, there are tools to make them. The free tools that I have found and use all suck.

Then you can push out the app with group policy. Create a new GPO, edit it, go to computer settings, and add the software package. I'll see if i can find a good web site describing the proper procedure.

Of course, some applications you can create an install script for, so you could install those with say, a logon script.

What would help more than anything is knowing the application you are trying to install.

Are there any non-free tools to do it that doesnt suck?

I might want to install some/all of the Microsoft Office programs. But the thing is, it's not just one program I want to install, I want to find a general solution to use whenever a new program is to be installed. But I guess thats asking for too much?

Well, I gotta go. I'll be back :p

Thowllly said:

I might want to install some/all of the Microsoft Office programs. But the thing is, it's not just one program I want to install, I want to find a general solution to use whenever a new program is to be installed. But I guess thats asking for too much?

Well, I gotta go. I'll be back :p
Office is easy - the installer is an MSI already.
As for non-free tools that don't suck - you'd have to ask someone whose office will actually buy them the tools they want/need.

Thowllly said:

There are a few choices of packagers that are very nice. Wise Studio is what our company uses. I hear Wise and MS are teaming up closely....

For office deployment you need to use the Ms Office resource kit for the version of office you are using. This software allows you to customise the install for various office products. It is avaliable from Microsofts site.

Back