Rumor: body sensing motion control for 360 coming

If there is no controller, why is there such a calibration screen in this shot?

Engadget

I think there is still a controller of some form, but the functionality should be more in the camera sensors than in the controller itself.

Btw, this one would be an awesome compliment to the current gamepads in many games. As an example, one of the big problem in FPSes is the "fine" movements for targeting (and hence legal cheating in targeting in most console games) and it seems that you can solve this problem with this. The right analog stick can then be used only for larger orientation changes in this case. Even Halo:ODST might be using this! :)

I wonder if the system would be precise enough to allow the controller to be held as a wheel.
Could be fun i tried yesterday for experience the feel, basically it's not that you put the pad face toward the screen wich allow to conviniently use your thumbs for accelerate and brake (pressing LT with the right thumb, RT with the left one). Try it's not that bad :)
you could also imagine move our right.left hand (depending on countries) to mimick the shift stick.

Last edited by a moderator:

The calibration may be needed to improve accuracy and response time (also to center action).

The 3DV system looks like a totally hands free system. It'd be ideal for controlling a media player (No need to look for damn remote). It should work in the dark too ! :)

Demo of Boxing from CES 2008.

It looks pretty accurate for a simple demo they where showing at CES, at least as accurate as anything we have seen from the WiiMote. With more time and bigger developer support this seems to have as much potential as Wii Motion+ in terms of providing 1 to 1 motion for sports games.

Flight Simulator with hands as controller.

This demo is even more impressive, as you can see the system recognizes the position of his thumbs to fire machine guns or bombs. It seems to be about as accurate as Sixaxis in this video, but again its just a simple demo prepared by 3DV Systems to demonstrate the technology.

The system can't work without line of sight. It'd be awkward to try to mimick a SIXAXIS. (e.g., User playing with a partially obscured SIXAXIS because of furniture, decor and sitting position). I'd say they should explore a totally different "vocabulary" for this controller.

IMO, if this is in fact the company that Microsoft has purchased and the technology they intended to implement it seems to have amazing potential.

I agree !

Picosecond accurate distribution of timing signals and if you don't just put a counter on each pixel you also need very low noise (to use integration for time measurement). With the amount of engineering to get that to work I don't think consoles would be the first to expect these in. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy 10 consoles for the price of such a sensor if it came to market now.
You are right that it's highly unlikely for a 2.5D camera to measure timing (~30 GHz?), instead it's probably just reading intensity values of regular infrared CCD camera timed with that fast shutter you are talking about. I believe though, those are still called time-of-flight cameras, despite measuring light accumulation in actuality.
PS. oh they say they have a fast shutter, that takes care of the timing distribution I guess ... still it's strange to see something like this being targeted at low end commodity products straight at introduction.

Commercial fast shutter + light accumulation cameras are probably more than a decade old now, I'm not exactly sure why you think it's strange to see them at low end now.
If memory serves, there is even at least one such webcam out there.

You are right that it's highly unlikely for a 2.5D camera to measure timing (~30 GHz?), instead it's probably just reading intensity values of regular infrared CCD camera timed with that fast shutter you are talking about.
The rise/fall still has to be reproducible at the same time-scales (ie. 50% transmittance of the shutter at a given pixel should come at the same time after the trigger at picosecond level accuracy). I wonder what they are using, liquid crystals seem unlikely.

The rise/fall still has to be reproducible at the same time-scales (ie. 50% transmittance of the shutter at a given pixel should come at the same time after the trigger at picosecond level accuracy). I wonder what they are using, liquid crystals seem unlikely.

It's probably GaAs based optical switch, but I'm willing to bet ~nanosecond latency on the shutter is sufficient.

Engadget

I think there is still a controller of some form, but the functionality should be more in the camera sensors than in the controller itself.

I would also expect there will be some kind of pointing device/controller (which would require some calibration). Pointing a finger (or whatever) is far to unprecise particulary if third party developers want to port the Wii control scheme/games, which I expect them to.

10^-9 * 3 * 10^8 is not satisfactory. The reproducibility of the rise/fall of the transmittance over time has to be better than 1 ns, otherwise you are not getting mm/cm level accuracy.

Prepare for disappointment. I would consider it a big sensation if Microsoft tried to introduce this outside the living-room.

Whoever, said out of the living room? If you're at a desktop I'd say this would be mostly irrelevant.

However, multi-touch and Media Center could greatly benefit from this in the living room and would sell like hotcakes.

Assuming they can pull it off. Hell, I'd probably pay in excess of 200 USD for something like this if it worked extremely well.

The fact that it's targetted at the X360 however points to a more reasonable 50-100 USD price point however.

Regards,
SB

Whoever, said out of the living room? If you're at a desktop I'd say this would be mostly irrelevant.

However, multi-touch and Media Center could greatly benefit from this in the living room and would sell like hotcakes.
Do you really believe that?

I have not a feel for how big the htpc market is, but I know it is more or less completely unstandardized with regard to hardware and OS and the majority use it only for watching movies.
With the easy accessible built-in media center functionality of the 360 and the PS3, I´d say htpc is a dying breed in comparison to the growth of the HD console generation.

I also expect that Microsoft want more people to get locked into XBL subscription/Netflix etc. (more revenue to their pockets) than stay in the open Windows world so Microsoft may also want to keep the proprietary technology exclusive to the 360 for that reason.

But who knows, maybe they standardize it and let third part manufacturers licens it within a couple of years, stranger things have happened, but right now I don´t find it very likely.

Assuming they can pull it off. Hell, I'd probably pay in excess of 200 USD for something like this if it worked extremely well.
That would be a very expensive remote replacement.

That would be a very expensive remote replacement.

People already pay in excess of 400 USD for a programmable remote.

I'd actually find 200 USD to be quite reasonable, assuming it worked very well, for a remote control mechanism that you cannot lose, doesn't need batteries, and can be used to control games nearly as well as a mouse.

The potential for something like this, if they can pull it off, far outstrips any controller, remote, etc that's been released for a PC or console.

It would be a truly revolutionary control scheme such as hasn't been seen since the advent of the first mouse.

I still won't believe it'll actually happen until I see it however. :p

Regards,
SB

My Harmony 880 when I bought it years ago cost $250 US.

Also, I believe that Comcast still uses MSFTs embedded OS for their cable boxes meaning you could keep this in the living room and have multi device usage or you could go back to the days of 360 as console and IPTV box and consolidate devices, especially with Comcast pushing out their Fancast service later this year. Although, the way I envision the possibilities those all seem like things better left for CES than E3.

Comcast doesn't use it where I live. They put out a notice saying basically that it functioned so poorly they were switching to their own because it was costing them so much in problem calls and locked up boxes.

I myself went through 6 in 6 months. After the notice and new OS, no problems.

If that video posted in page 1 is anything to go by, they still have a long long way to go before a useable, Minority Report style interface.

Why would I want to control a media player by flicking my thumb up, down left or right, and giving a "V" sign for "enter", when I can use just a little tiny movements of my thumb on a conventional remote, or even a game pad.

For a gesture based iterface to work, it would need to mimic the gestures as if you were working on top of a desk, that's why touchscreen interfaces work that much better.
Mimicing some directional input device with your hands just doesn't work.
For example, if it were to replace a mouse like pointer device, giving a "V" sign or some other hand gesture every time you want to "left click"... that would be slow, tiring and not responsive enough for any serious application, gaming or other.

For games like boxing, some simple flying and steering based games it seems fine... basically those same things that the Wiimote and Sixaxis are already doing.
For anything that need an input from a button, not so good.
Think a fps game, for pointing a gun it might actually be good, but for firing other than single bullets or predefined burst of fire... would you rather flick your forefinger back and forth (it seems to need quite large movements of your finger) rather than using a button?

A gesture recognizing UI needs to be fast, flowing and intuitive to be more than just a gimmick. If it's clunky, slow and unresponsive, most will rather use old reliable fast ways of contol.

2007 patent from 3dv, that might line up with the 3 holes you see on the supposed engadget leaked photo

33jtifk.jpg

Personally I'm still skeptical this is even real. Simply because I havent heard a single rumor of a actual game using this..except for the fight night thing somebody tossed out in this thread..

Personally I'm still skeptical this is even real. Simply because I havent heard a single rumor of a actual game using this..except for the fight night thing somebody tossed out in this thread..

It doesn't matter if it's real. It only matters that people think it's real and ready for consumers. That's all MS cares about, in this instance.

Hmm, an interesting comment on the newest Listen Up podcast from Shane Bettenhausen, starts around 40:00 and I'll attempt to copy it, theyre talking about Fight Night Round 4

Shane: "My second question is, as good as this game seems, dont you feel its a missed opportunity for a boxing title, say a publisher was going to announce a revolutionary 3D motion camera system by which you control the game with body movements transforming the experience-"

David Ellis: "Perhaps a system that has used a boxing game demo in the past?"

Shane: "perhaps"

They then go on to basically state that Fight Night R4 would not be the game to showcase this "theoretical" motion control system.

So basically if I follow correctly, it's confirmation of MS plans, and apparently FN4 wont be using the new system.

Edit: And theres plenty more wink wink nudge nudge confirmation of the motion sensing controls later in the podcast as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that just occured to me about this, is I dont know how big it can be if it's say, and $80 peripheral as I imagine. That may make it a glorified eye toy.

Seems to really be foundational it would have to packed in with all new consoles sold.

Back