RTzen is gone?

Billp

Newcomer
Has the company that makes RTzen (the shader creation program) gone kaput? The homepage seems to be gone, and I can't find any information about them.

And does anyone have any info on any other shader creation apps?

Do you mean other graph-based shader creation tools or code-based?

The most popular code-based tools are probably Nvidias FXComposer and ATI's RenderMonkey. Both can be found at their developer pages.

RTzen was the only stand alone graph-based shader creation tool I knew about (it had both code and graph views) but it was IMO not very useful since it focused on just wrapping a single-pass FX shader commands into a graph instead of having a higher level abstraction that can handle multiple passes and arbitary lighting. This is of course very difficult to do if it's just a stand alone editor without a runtime system.

The most well known high-level graph-based shader system is probably the material system in Unreal Engine 3 (pic).

We here at DICE also have a similar, but more flexible, graph-based shader system that I developed as a part of our internal next-gen tech. Both programmers and artists use it successfully for every single material in our upcoming games.

Thanks for info, I'll definitely check out Rendermonkey and Fx Composer (downloading right now)... and if you could send me yours I'll check that out too :)

Back