Router suggestions

AlNom

Legend
My Linksys WRT54G v2 router seems to not be functioning properly. Wireless connections are sketchy, internet isn't functioning properly even with a wired connection... I'm thinking after 5 years of abuse, it's finally going senile! :runaway:

Would any of you have recommendations on a replacement? How are other routers for IP restrictions (MAC address for static wireless IP assignment to computers I want to have internet), port forwarding... I suppose that's pretty standard ?

I like the Bufallo routers (I recently bought a WHR-G54S), but I instantly invalidated the warrenty by installing third pary DD-WRT firmware. They are quite cheap, but they use the same chips as more expensive makes. People like Linksys have actually been deliberatley crippling their more recent domestic hardware in order of for it not to canibalise sales of their more expensive office equipment, so you have to check specs on flash and RAM.

In fact, before you spring for a new router, you could try reflashing it with DD-WRT to see if it improves things. Just make sure you read all the instructions on flashing before you do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's already flashed with hyperWRT & thibor. :p It seems to have been going wonky for the last year or so. Every now and then it doesn't function properly, but 95% of the time it's been great. I would try to flash it with DD, but I can't even get into the router settings (wired or wireless). The thing is a bloody mess it seems.

I'm not sure if I can get buffalo products. According to their website, they've got some patent issues in North America, so they can't sell/import products.

How about NetGear or D-link or Trendnet?

I reckon that nowadays nearly all the big makes have got "issues", either with cut-down specs, or with insufficient work on the firmware. Often you find the firmware is simplified to make it easy for the average person to understand, but you need something like DD-WRT to get the full geeky goodness out of your router.

I'd suggest checking on the DD-WRT site to see what's recommended, and to make sure you get a product with a reasonable spec that will take DD-WRT at some point in the future if you find the firmware from the manufacturer isn't well supported.

Yea, Geo, I reckon that it'll be like some G routers where it can support B but you have the option to turn it off (and gain a bit of performance).

Edit - bizarre, I SWEAR I glanced through a post by Geo mentioning something about this....

Back