"Robocop" can be a reality

You do realise that science fiction does have semi-truths to it?

Everything we thought as science fiction has come true or is in the process of coming true.

I wouldnt mind one of those at work... up to 300 lb patients can be hard to move even we are 3 to lift on them...

This is nothing compared to the biomechanical stuff that's being worked on. There are already experiments where you can control electrical/mechanical prosthetics with just your mind. Theoretically all you need to do is keep the brain alive in this situation which is the hardest part. That I would say is actually more closer to Robocop than this thing here which is just a suit you wear which the military has also been working on.

I saw a suit similar to this a couple years ago being developed by the US military I believe. It was more powerful than this one, capable of lifting around a hundred kilograms as I recall. It used hydraulics rather than electrical servo motors, so it was MUCH slimmer at the knees and hips. Instead it had a big feckin backpack with all the hydraulic pump gear and a lawnmower-type motor powering the pump. :p I guess further development of the prototype would have done away with that motor as it was rather noisy (and impractical for use indoors might be added).

The success of US stealth ops would reduce rather significantly if the enemy could hear a bunch of lawnmowers approacing, hee hee hee... :p

Guden Oden said:
I saw a suit similar to this a couple years ago being developed by the US military I believe. It was more powerful than this one, capable of lifting around a hundred kilograms as I recall. It used hydraulics rather than electrical servo motors, so it was MUCH slimmer at the knees and hips. Instead it had a big feckin backpack with all the hydraulic pump gear and a lawnmower-type motor powering the pump. :p I guess further development of the prototype would have done away with that motor as it was rather noisy (and impractical for use indoors might be added).

The success of US stealth ops would reduce rather significantly if the enemy could hear a bunch of lawnmowers approacing, hee hee hee... :p

More accurately, it was a program of DARPA for the Army with two versions. One on fuel, and the other electric. The electric suit worked great, but the power requirements meant it had to be plugged in. One of the two companies with working models was actually in my home town, and my best friend at the time & I went to go check it out (not kidding), but they wouldn't let us see anything really cool. :(

Guden Oden said:

Ill jimmy rig a pipe into the ventilation and soup up a really good muffler. So where can I get me one? I know some orderlies who'd bend over backwards to get one too :p

HAL 3 weighs 22 kilograms, but the help it gives the user is more than enough to compensate for this. "It's like riding on a robot, rather than wearing one," says Sankai.

That's not too heavy considering it can support more than it's own weight. I'm wondering how much more though and how long the battery lasts. This is definitely the future though. Imagine this thing using Hydrogen fuel cells canisters. :oops:

Kinda reminds me of Robotech's Protoculture energy cells. 8)

While we're into imaginary power sources, the final fantasy movie also had powerpacks made out of some sort of living soup, algae or something like that. :p The movie sci-fi geeks always fall for fluorescent green glow coming out of glass vials. :D (Me included I might add, hehe.)

Guden Oden said:
While we're into imaginary power sources, the final fantasy movie also had powerpacks made out of some sort of living soup, algae or something like that. :p The movie sci-fi geeks always fall for fluorescent green glow coming out of glass vials. :D (Me included I might add, hehe.)

Yeah I also remember in FFTSW when that Tomboy soldier went around in that hanger looking for those energy canisters which had a green glow and looked very similar to those Protoculture cells used in the Robotech Cyclones and Mechs. 8)

Bipedal Robots and Robotic suits.......whoever created Gundam Wing must be a prophet :LOL:

Anyone see the suit they created (appearently the US government was experimenting with it) that retracted and reflected light (I think thats how it worked) and gave the illusion that you where partially invisible (not fully invisible but opaque).

Soon we'll be seeing very large colorful robots with lightsabers and pilots with giant freaky eyes....

PC-Engine said:

Not to discredit the article or to be disrespectful, but this looks like a really bad photoshop job.

4644071.jpg

Back