Rise of the Tomb Raider [PC]

I just picked up TR recently. All I can say is -- the game uses the most graphical technical features I've seen in any game this gen. Holy shit there is a lot going on! VXAO is unmatched. Excellent results and yes, very very expensive. But it gets rid of the annoying flat shading that I see in just about every other game out (besides Batman:AK). I like the subtle use of SSS. It's not overdone and meshes really well. Light sources do cast the typical projection shadowing but I guess we just don't have enough power for soft shadows for every light source yet. Hair also needs self-shadowing. I guess we'll have to wait a few more generations.. ;)
I think the techniques to do these things will come along sooner than you think, and with smarter algorithms rather than simply more powa!

And yes from what I've seen VXAO is really damn impressive. Hoping my GTX970 can handle it!

I think the techniques to do these things will come along sooner than you think, and with smarter algorithms rather than simply more powa!

And yes from what I've seen VXAO is really damn impressive. Hoping my GTX970 can handle it!

I doubt it. ;) I remember interviewing an ATI rep several years ago (back in 2004) and they bragged about catching up to film within 4-5yrs.. I'm still waiting. :p

VXAO is extremely expensive on my system running at 4k. My i7-920 is a bottleneck for sure, so I did away with the hair solution and some other things. Most important to me was the 4k,VXAO, Tessallation and Extra high res textures. Everything else is secondardy to me. I manage to average around 28-30fps which is playable for me on my Titan X.

I like the subtle use of SSS.

By subtle you mean almost non-existent during gameplay? :p
riseofthetombraider02fwuyk.png

By subtle you mean almost non-existent during gameplay? :p
riseofthetombraider02fwuyk.png

I hate it during gameplay. Not sure why they turned it off but leave it on for cinematics (I'm not familiar with the technique or it's ms cost). In this picture, its more of a lack of occlusion/shadowing than the actual diffusion model for SSS. Even with diffuse, it looks horrible.

Self-shadowing is also on during cutscenes
riseofthetombraider03k4udh.png

I like the SSS in cutscenes, even if it is a bit waxy. Lara is very expressive also :)

A bit more on VXAO, which is a simplification of the VXGI technique:

https://developer.nvidia.com/vxao-voxel-ambient-occlusion

But how well does VXAO handle dynamic scenes? The answer is, quite well. Most of the voxel data can be preserved between frames, unless there are lots of moving objects or the camera moves quickly. And even if no voxel data can be preserved, voxelizing geometry again is not too expensive. Voxelization of a typical, high-detail game scene with a few million triangles can be done in about 3-5 milliseconds on a modern GPU like GeForce GTX 980.

Overall, there are three major passes in the VXAO algorithm: voxelization, voxel post-processing, and cone tracing. Voxelization is performed by rendering the triangle meshes into a 3D texture, and as such, its performance highly depends on the total number of triangles, size of these triangles, and the number of draw calls required to render them. Post-processing combines passes like clearing, filtering and downsampling voxels, and its performance depends on the total number of voxels produced during voxelization. Typical post-processing time is 0.5 – 1.5 ms. And finally, cone tracing is performed in screen space, so its performance depends on the screen resolution, shading rate, and the cone tracing pass in 1080p resolution.

VXAO video memory requirements are not frightening, either. Depending on settings, the voxel textures can take from 6 to 100 MB. Some screen-sized or smaller 2D textures are also used, which can add a few dozen megabytes in very high resolution modes. To compare, VXAO uses 4 or 8 bytes per voxel, and full VXGI adds 24, 48 or 72 bytes to that, so VXGI’s memory requirements are normally around 500 MB and can go up to 7 GB if the highest quality settings are used.

Finally, if you saw the original announcement of VXGI at Maxwell launch, you may think it works only on Maxwell. That's not true. Maxwell does have some useful hardware features, but the only one relevant to VXAO is pass-through geometry shaders, which improve voxelization performance by approximately 30%, and they can be safely replaced with regular geometry shaders. So VXGI in general and VXAO in particular can work on all DX11 class GPUs, including ones made by NVIDIA competitors, but Maxwell GPUs deliver the best performance. It’s not limited to DX11 either: DX12 and OpenGL 4.5 are also supported.

And how it is applied in RotTR specifically
In Rise of the Tomb Raider, not all locations benefit from VXAO equally well, and the reason for that lies in the game’s art and lighting solution. The game has separate channels for ambient lighting and ambient occlusion, and how exactly they are used is determined by materials. The ambient occlusion channel is often applied on top of direct lighting as well, and because VXAO is not a local effect and tends to add occlusion to large surfaces, some lights become dimmer. So we had to apply VXAO to the ambient light channel instead and keep HBAO+ in the ambient occlusion channel in order to achieve the best look. It became clear that VXAO is mostly a long-range effect, and it’s useful to combine it with some short-range SSAO technique to highlight small features which cannot be adequately represented by voxels. For this reason, VXAO now includes an optional screen-space occlusion pass so that you don’t have to work with a separate SSAO library.

Currently, VXAO support in Rise of the Tomb Raider is limited to specific enthusiast-class GPUs in order to provide the most enjoyable gaming experience. There is no doubt that global illumination and shading techniques place a heavy load on the GPU, so in order to maintain high frame rates for all RoTR players, VXAO is available only on higher performance systems.

That's why the effect can look quite strong in some areas.

So I'm now playing this game in 3D Vision and I can't help but think.... WTF!!!! Why has this technology been abandoned??? I can run the game at 4K with maxed out visuals and it genuinely doesn't hold a candle compared to 1080p 3D vision (also max visuals). I literally have to slowly walk Lara around each of the environments so that I can gaze around in awe at them. I had a similar experience with Mad Max, although this game is definitely better looking. I think this is one of those extremely unfortunate scenarios where a vastly superior technology dies out because it doesn't achieve mainstream penetration.

I think this is why I haven't been as blown away with VR as I'd hoped to be. I think I was expecting a 3D Vision type experience that surrounded me (i.e. ultra sharp visuals in perfect 3D) but I guess we're a generation or two from that yet.

So 1080p 3d vision is better than 4k 3d vision or 1080p 3d vision is better than 4k?

Better than 4k without 3D Vision. There's no way I could run 3D vision in 4K, my GTX1070 only barely manages to stay over 30fps at 1080p at otherwise max settings (I get about the same frame rate at 4K max settings). For some reason - and I really don't understand the mechanics of it, 3D vision also enhances the image quality of the picture significantly. The image is absolutely razor sharp, it must have something to do with looking at 2x 1080p images simultaneously. If does still have some minor problems with ghosting though.

So I'm now playing this game in 3D Vision and I can't help but think.... WTF!!!! Why has this technology been abandoned??? I can run the game at 4K with maxed out visuals and it genuinely doesn't hold a candle compared to 1080p 3D vision (also max visuals).

So do you also have a 4k monitor in addition to the 3D vision one?

So do you also have a 4k monitor in addition to the 3D vision one?

No, sorry I should have been more clear. I'm playing at 1080p downscaled from native 4K. Naturally actual 4K on a 4K monitor would look better. That said, no amount of resolution is going to make up for the lack of stereoscopic 3D IMO.

Great game.

Totally worth the money.
Multi-GPU DX12 performance scaling is spectacular, like Deus Ex.

The original re-make (lol?) is just $5 at the moment. Spectacular value for what is still a stunning game.

The original re-make (lol?) is just $5 at the moment. Spectacular value for what is still a stunning game.
Yeah, thats whats wrong with steam sales, for us its like $2 :p ! I really liked it on my ps4 and i might never get thwe time to play it again but it was a good game and for that price, why not ! :D

Back