Resolutions and aliasing

radeonic2 said:
Well it's doing something (fps hits the dust) but it's just not enough for the game.
It's the worst at the pits.
I go damn near blind from all the aliasing.
I just tried 8xS to see if perhaps MSAA wasn't hitting the aliased portions for some reason, it did help a little but nearly enough.
Ill grab a screen cap tomorrow:smile:

You don't need any screeenshots; if the triangle rate test in that configuration thingy gives the same results with 4xMSAA and 8xS then you don't get the supersampling part in the latter mode; in any other case a higher performance drop suggests that it's working.

Try 4xOGSS instead (via Rivatuner or other 3rd party application). If the developers would had used proper MIPmapping in that engine you wouldn't see even half of it *cough* LOL. It's been a poster child for a very long time now. These are the cases where I'm glad that I can actually force Supersampling on applications; yet it still doesn't mean that developers couldn't have done a better job.

Ailuros said:
You don't need any screeenshots; if the triangle rate test in that configuration thingy gives the same results with 4xMSAA and 8xS then you don't get the supersampling part in the latter mode; in any other case a higher performance drop suggests that it's working.

Try 4xOGSS instead (via Rivatuner or other 3rd party application). If the developers would had used proper MIPmapping in that engine you wouldn't see even half of it *cough* LOL. It's been a poster child for a very long time now. These are the cases where I'm glad that I can actually force Supersampling on applications; yet it still doesn't mean that developers couldn't have done a better job.
my 6600GT lacks the balls for 4x SSAA:cry: :oops:
ya I agree mipmapping, I remember back to viper racing where you could actually disable mip mapping and how alised it looked when tried it out just for fun, now it all looks so familar.

Those are the minor tidbits I always keep in mind when thinking of alternatives; to be frank there shouldn't be a need for adaptive AA these days (developers could use alpha blends instead of alpha tests wherever possible and that especially if most GPUs are optimized for multisampling AA), as there shouldn't be a need for FSAA Supersampling for any other case.

IF extremely higher resolutions would truly aim to replace Multisampling in the less foreseeable future, you'd need a ton of "ifs" and "buts" too in order to compensate. IMHO IF developers wouldn't continue to treat anti-aliasing as a luxury feature and would code a game from day one with AA in mind, things might be different.

What about early-out fragment kill tho? Write a pixel anyway that is totally transparent? What about cases where you don't want the z-buffer updated?

It really depends on the content. The higher the view-distance of gameplay the higher the resolution should be.

I'd imagine a display where you can look at things at their actual size. So in a flight simulator, where you'd want to spot a plane a km away the resolution has to be around 3000 pixels in width.

Ailuros said:
What you describe is common place on pretty much any hardware out there, with the only other difference that using "quality" vs. "high quality" (or optimisations "on" vs. "off") makes the patterns even worse.
Alright, I was thinking that maybe this moire in Riddick was not showing on all hardware. The way people have been praising the graphics had me thinking I was looking at something most people weren't experiencing. I think the moire looks horrible and completely ruins any of the good graphics attributes of the game. (In other words, I had suspicions that this title didn't look this ugly on Radeons with their "superior image quality" :p )

DemoCoder said:
What about early-out fragment kill tho? Write a pixel anyway that is totally transparent? What about cases where you don't want the z-buffer updated?

I know what you mean and how you mean it and that's why I excluded the cases where alpha tests can't be skipped at all.

I've no idea if Valve couldn't escape the tons of alpha tests in HL2 as an example, but in a worst case scenario where nothing else wouldn't had been possible I personally could have lived even without the countless of fences all over the place. Better no or way less fences than endless dancing meanders across the screen <shrugs>

Back