Replacement video card

holsty101

Regular
So my buddy burnt out the stock video card on his Pavilion 9552p and wants something "high end" (no room for anything other than a single width tho), which I guess will need a new psu too (stock one's rated at 350w), any suggestions (I'm *so* not into gaming on a pc)?

I don't know that anything above an amd 6850 or Nvidia 560 comes in single width. So technically high end is out.

I'm sure someone will correct me, as I haven't been paying much attention lately.

Yeah I guess high end is out, he only want's to spend a couple a hundred, the other thing is looking into it a bit more the mobo only has a pcie v1 slot, so I guess that means putting a v2/2.1 card in is kinda pointless?

Thanks for posting that Squilliam, might get something like that for myself at some point.

Yeah I guess high end is out, he only want's to spend a couple a hundred, the other thing is looking into it a bit more the mobo only has a pcie v1 slot, so I guess that means putting a v2/2.1 card in is kinda pointless?

Thanks for posting that Squilliam, might get something like that for myself at some point.

The cards are backwards compatible. The thing is it's about the best card without upgrading the power supply and whilst keeping within the size budget he has. Anything bigger and you're doubling the cost just to fit a bigger PSU before you even think of paying extra for the bigger card.

heh even a 5770 would out perform that easily and powercolor does make a single slot 6850.

Do they make a single slot one which consumes <75W?

holsty, what are the specs of the rest of his system? It might not be worth it to add a new GPU.

Regarding PCIe v1 vs v2, it doesn't matter all v2 cards (which means all modern cards) are backwards compatible.

It's a quad core intel (~2.2ghz IIRC) with 8gig ram.

We got it up and running with an old card we had laying around (don't ask me what kind, all I know is it fit & it worked!) but he'd still like something more up to date.

Don't you loose out on ... something ... running a v2 card in a v1 slot tho?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a quad core intel (~2.2ghz IIRC) with 8gig ram.

I'm not aware of a 2.2GHz Intel quad (unless it's a mobile processor?)

But any Intel desktop quad should be good enough

Don't you loose out on ... something ... running a v2 card in a v1 slot tho?

No you won't loose out on anything.

Sounds like your friend would be well served by a single slot 6770 or 5770 (they are the same card). He may or may not need a new PSU, it's impossible to tell without more information.

This looks like it would work, but with a cooler that small I suspect it is quite loud.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131364

I looked up the service manual. The system appears to be a minitower with micro ATX board. There is room for a dual slot card if you have at most one PCI card. This is a better choice because dual slot coolers will keep the card cooler.

Considering the 350W PSU, I too suggest going for Radeon 6850.

Attachments

• hppavilion.jpg
    hppavilion.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 4
  • hppavilion2.jpg
    hppavilion2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 4
Is the PSU any good? There is a world of difference between a 350W PSU and a good 350W PSU.

With a 5770/6850 he'd be under 200W so that should be ok. The PSU is a HP OEM unit so good luck finding reviews on that.

Thanks for the link homerdog, that 5770 powercolor looks good to me.

He's got a tv card in there (with a little daughter board) that takes up 2 slots swaaye, so that cut's out any larger card I think ... maybe if there was one with just the right shaped cooler it'd fit below the daughter board but he's taken the machine back for the time being and I figure it'd just be easier to get a card that fit's a single slot form factor.

Should I just give it a shot with the stock psu and see what happens? :devilish: Tho the last thing I wanna do is have it spike and fry something else, maybe something like this?

Thanks for all your help so far.

is the tv card still used theres a chance it could be analog (and therefore useless apart from inputing vhs)

Good point Davros, I'll ask next time I can get in touch with him (prolly a few days to a week).

edit
Ok, thanks homerdog.

BTW this is the PSU used in it apparently. Going by HP's site's part number for that Pavilion.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817174033

This PSU has no PCIe power connector so if you get a 5670/5770/6850 you must make sure you get the adapter to power the card. Most cards come with one but some do not.

But, I actually think one of the Radeon 6670s might be the best call. Lower power use than both 5770 and 5670, and faster than 5670. They don't need the PCIe power plug. Why push your luck. It's still way beyond that GeForce 9500 that was in there. Avoid the DDR3 ones tho.

Its a little bit simpler than that. Each of the 12 V rails can handle 18A, but the total amount of power the entire PSU can handle is only 350W. So you can't get peak power on all the rails at the same time.

Back