Repairing a damaged .avi?

Yesterday I copied some video files from one hdd to another but I noticed that windows damaged one of the files. The .avi used to work fine but now I cant open it anymore. VLC gives that repeating error that the file cant be found, wich is kinda strange since I see it on my hdd and its a couple of 100mb big. I also tried some of those ''avi recovery'' tools but they all give the same error that they either cant find the file or cant open it (because its damaged).

Could someone please help me?

It's probably just an empty file because the copying went bad. Nothing new there. You should try copying it again if still possible.

Otherwise I'd try DivFix or such. You can also open it in an editor (UltraEdit or the likes), so you can at least see if it indeed is empty or not.

can virtual dub open it?
I once fixed a bad divx just by opening and saving it (it did a reencode, I couldn't get it not to reencode but I don't give a sh*t)

Could it be due to the path? VLC has difficulties if you have 'funny characters' in it.

As for fixing it, maybe you can try opening with "Ask for extended options after this dialog" to re-derive keyframe flags or use the "Scan video stream for errors..." option in VirtualDub. It also throws out all the parts that doesn't work. Check the log (F8). Remember to Use direct stream copy (for both video and audio) unless you want to decompress/re-encode.

lol it works again. I copied it back to the original folder and now it works again. Pretty weird though because the hdd the folder was on was full so you would expect if something from the .avi stayed behind it would be gone.

Oh and virtualdub and vlc couldnt open the file when it was one the other hdd.

Back