RenderMonkey versus Maple for image processing

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
In my image processing labs we use Maple.
I hate Maple. It's too complex.

Of course because I'm an OGL coder I figure I would do the stuff we learn in class(and do in Maple) in GLSL.

The thing is, everything is so much more simplified.

In Maple you have to do all the ugly commands which I can barely remember for the life of me and that is really hellish to sit around typing out these hugely complex commands which can be expressed real easily with basic arithmatic.

Anyway if I ever take a teaching job I would use RenderMonkey and teach my students to use it as well. It's far simpler to learn and use than Maple.

What do you guys think?
(Also how many TMUs does my R300 support?)

isn't rendermonkey a program to write pixel shaders, and Maple a big math processing software?
not the same category of program at all no?

I had a course on Maple just for the sake of learning it (but never used it after that). we did some learning stuff then differential equation solving and it would plot the trajectory of a ball on a surface with small "hills". I don't remember it much.
but two years later I was doing image processing in Matlab.
my impression is that Matlab is great, no syntax full of parenthesis and semi colons and boring crap, whereas Maple sucked ass.

about your R300, it has eight TMU

Blazkowicz_ said:
I had a course on Maple just for the sake of learning it (but never used it after that). we did some learning stuff then differential equation solving and it would plot the trajectory of a ball on a surface with small "hills". I don't remember it much.
but two years later I was doing image processing in Matlab.
my impression is that Matlab is great, no syntax full of parenthesis and semi colons and boring crap, whereas Maple sucked ass.

How can you say Maple sucks, while praising Matlab? Matlab uses Maple symbolic processing interpreter, etc. . I can't say much in regard to image processing, but both complement each other very nicely when working on engineering projects. The nice thing about Matlab is that it is a lot more intuitive than Maple. But I'd not deride Maple for that.

lol :D
I didn't even know (or remember) that both had the same language. really, I had utterly subjective experiences :

my Maple experience (version 6 or 5) was boring as hell and painful, with the differential maths functions and analytic stuff, this was three years ago and almost forgotten, on beat up Unix terminals with worn out screens and mice, was slow and looked like crap.

Whereas with Matlab (for image processing), brand new Dell with 17" LCD, windows XP in classic mode, number crunching on vector/matrices, structured programming.. a very powerful program with very simple interface (my favorite kind of apps :))

having googled for "matlab vs maple" I understand a bit more what it's about
http://www.math.rwth-aachen.de/mapleAnswers/html/602.html
http://beta.mapleprimes.com/forum/maple-versus

Last edited by a moderator:
Core Image is even slicker (particularly w/Quartz Composer), but then you'd have to soil yourself by using a Mac... :)

K.I.L.E.R said:
(Also how many TMUs does my R300 support?)
I guess what you really want to know is the number of texture samplers you can use in a shader: 16. And up to 32 texture instructions, meaning you could sample twice from each texture sampler.

And remember the dependent read limit of four levels.

Thanks.
Where did you get all that info from?

Xmas said:
I guess what you really want to know is the number of texture samplers you can use in a shader: 16. And up to 32 texture instructions, meaning you could sample twice from each texture sampler.

And remember the dependent read limit of four levels.

Back