Remeber this? Trip Hawkins on Xbox.

Sonic said:
I was under the impression that MS could care elss about profits with the Xbox. It's with the Xbox 2 that they wish to start making a profit with.
Which do people think was MS initial strategy?

1) MS expected to lose money on XB
2) They thought they'd be profitable but weren't though persevered
3) Didn't care either way and said they'd go with it regardless

I think ms wanted to make money on the xbox , I 'm pretty sure that they didn't expect it to make money till late in its life . Most likely around this point in time .. Obviously that didn't go the way they wanted it to . They feel though that there is profit to be made on a future box and are now willing to acept that they will never make money on the xbox

MS losses are more like $5m~$8m on the Xbox project.

Trip was right in one way, the Xbox has come too late and done too little.

A 14million installed user base worldwide after 3 years is pretty poor, when you consider the money they invested.

Just compare this to how the N64, PSOne, Saturn & GC performed.

But Trip was wrong to think that MS were being defensive. You don't spend this kind of money if you don't want too win.

The Xbox1 just had to demonstrate to developers, publishers and retail that MS were serious. The number of units sold was a bonus.

It is with Xbox360 that things will really take off. The $199 launch price and price drop to $150~$175/Halo 3 bundle when the PS3 launches in 2006 will really hit Sony.

The battle will be on next gen, unlike now where MS hardly turned up.

It is with Xbox360 that things will really take off. The $199 launch price and price drop to $150~$175/Halo 3 bundle when the PS3 launches in 2006 will really hit Sony

:rolleyes:

yeah right

Well, i think everyone entering the business is "serious" about it. But that doesn't grant anyone success. They need to be "good".

Back