Realworld difference between D-SUB & DVI in terms of qua

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
This crossed my mind, as I saw Hercules Prophetview 920 Pro 17" TFT display for decent price.
AFAIK the display doesn't have DVI at all, though it supports it, but overall it should be quite fine display for it's price (~60+ € cheaper than LG's 16ms 17" TFT).
How big is the realworld difference between D-SUB and DVI?
Would it be noticeable with my Hercules R9800 Pro 128MB?
Would using DVI -> D-SUB adapter give better results than just using D-SUB?

Or should I just invest the 60+ € and get the LG or Hyundai?

I'd have to say the difference is very noticable between DVI and analog-DSUB. I notice the difference between the two on my setup: ATI 9700 Pro and Dell 18" UltraSharp 1800FP LCD.

As for the diff tween DVI-to-DSBU and DSUB, some have noticed less interferance with the DVI-to-DSUB signal than straight DSUB.

It used to be day and night, but I have heard that recently it has improved hugely. One TFT reveiwed in PC Pro was noted as being just about indistinguishable quality between the two if it was properly set up.

I'm using a Hercules Prophetview 920 DVI via DVI on a HIS Radeon 9700 Pro. The difference using the normal analogue output instead ist instantly noticable. Image quality isn't bad using analogue input, but I tried working with a dual monitor setup for about a week, using two identical Prophetview 920 DVI displays, and it was plain annoying, as fonts on the analogue driven display looked blurred in contrast to the DVI display. The difference was that bad that the second display now stands on a friends desk, I'll try dual monitor again the moment ATI releases a card with two DVI ports :devilish:

I've got an NEC 1760NX at home and used it for a few months with DSUB before getting a DVI-capable card. I honestly can't say I noticed very much difference at all between the two connections. If pushed I'd say that the image with DVI is just slightly better than with DSUB.

DVI LCD should offer better clarity than VGA LCD because it skips two DACs. A VGA signal to LCD has a digital-to-analog conversion on the graphics card, travels the wire in analog form, and undergoes analog-to-digital conversion on the LCD display.

I'd say the difference largely depends on the video frequency and the quality of the graphics cards analogue output (i must say that all my NVidia cards (riva128, tnt, tnt2u, gf1,gf3) fared badly in this regard when high video frequencies were utilised in comparison to even then age old matrox mystique and millenium cards (that was on CRTs though, my gf3 could easily supply the 1024*768*60Hz signal of my first tft). If you go for high end tfts (1600*1200) i'd definitly recommend DVI, if going low-end (15inch) dsub should certainly suffice, in between your milage may vary (I'd recommend borrowing a dvi capable card and check whether the added cost is worth it). Obviously, if your equipment is dvi capable, there is no reason not to utilize it imo.

ricercar said:
DVI LCD should offer better clarity than VGA LCD because it skips two DACs. A VGA signal to LCD has a digital-to-analog conversion on the graphics card, travels the wire in analog form, and undergoes analog-to-digital conversion on the LCD display.

Is an ADC really required? Isn't it possible to use some analog circuits to transform the incoming signal to the transistors on the LCD pixels? If it's possible, only a sampler is required.

PiNkY said:
I'd say the difference largely depends on the video frequency and the quality of the graphics cards analogue output (i must say that all my NVidia cards (riva128, tnt, tnt2u, gf1,gf3) fared badly in this regard when high video frequencies were utilised in comparison to even then age old matrox mystique and millenium cards (that was on CRTs though, my gf3 could easily supply the 1024*768*60Hz signal of my first tft). If you go for high end tfts (1600*1200) i'd definitly recommend DVI, if going low-end (15inch) dsub should certainly suffice, in between your milage may vary (I'd recommend borrowing a dvi capable card and check whether the added cost is worth it). Obviously, if your equipment is dvi capable, there is no reason not to utilize it imo.

I have Hercules R9800 Pro 128MB, so I do have DVI capable card ;)
Anyway, the point was that Hercules Prophetview 920 Pro 17" seems otherwise quite good display for it's price, but afaik it lacks the DVI connector..
Getting LG's or Hyundai's 17" with DVI's would cost me around 60-100€ more

I just brought home an AG Neovo S-18. It has a DVI-D connector, so naturally I used this connection for my Ati Radeon 8500. But for your sake, I'll try throgh D-Sub too, and I'll let you know if there is a noticable difference.

Hubert said:
I just brought home an AG Neovo S-18. It has a DVI-D connector, so naturally I used this connection for my Ati Radeon 8500. But for your sake, I'll try throgh D-Sub too, and I'll let you know if there is a noticable difference.

OK, I gave it a shot ...

There is a noticable difference indeed. DVI-D is much sharper, with a little more vivid colors.
Actually, the sharpness of the DVI-D image is so perfect that it bothers your eyes.
You do not have to forget that my particular model is almost a year old, newer models might have better analog display.
Also it depends on the quality and the lenght of the cables.

I think it's worth to try one before you buy one. This way you can avoid dead pixels also. (== 0 in my case ;) )

I used both D-Sub and DVI on a dual input NEC FP1375X 22" and DVI had NO ghosting whatsoever, unlike the D-sub. Convergence seemed to be better too. I'd have to say DVI wins the quality race from what I've seen.

The quality of DVI versus DSUB largely depends on the LCD. I've got a Samsung 191t, and the difference is huge. With DSUB the image looks blurry, and even with a pretty high quality cable I was getting interference patterns on the display. (This is with a ATI branded 9700pro, which should have pretty decent output quality). Moving to DVI cleaned up the image beautifully. If you read the mega LCD thread over at the arstechnica forums though, it appears that other displays seem to handle DSUB better, and give a cleaner image with it. Your best bet is probably to actually try it out with that LCD before making your purchase.

Nite_Hawk

Back