real time sound effects.

DOGMA1138

Regular
is there a program that allows you to applay sounds effects in real time, i mean say i talk over the mic and i want to add echo to my voice, or make me sound like those ppl who kindnap ppl and mask their voices :D
:devilish:

I only know of rather expensive professional music products such as Cubase that will do this. Even then, do do real time processing of effects, normally involves having a soundcard with full ASIO driver support. If you have then you can certainly process VST effects in real time.

There are also cheaper products that host VST effects, too, such as Fruity Loops and Acid. Again, to avoid latency, you really need ASIO drivers (as DirectSound is too laggy usually).

Any creative card from the live or audigy series can do this. The DSP is really quite awesome for realtime effects use.

Guden Oden said:
Any creative card from the live or audigy series can do this. The DSP is really quite awesome for realtime effects use.

If one decides to use creative cards for this purpose, then definitely use kX drivers.

Guden Oden said:
Presumably, though, you are limited the effects that are built in?Usually these are of pretty low quality (compared to commercial effects),though might do the job, depending on the situation. Things like pitch bend, vocoder and real fun stuff might be missing..

You haven't checked out the effects engine of the Live/Audigy have you? :) It's pretty full-featured with effects and almost all of them have parameters that can be tweaked. Sometimes quite a few parameters too.

As for quality, well, it's limited by being 16 bits and running at 48kHz (and the performance of the board's analog components of course), but for most people it should be quite sufficient. The Audigy2 ZS got very good marks for dynamic range, s/n ratio etc, and it isn't expensive at all.

Back