Rat chewing on wires - when being environmentally friendly goes horribly horribly wrong.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silent_Buddha, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Just had this happen recently to a friend of mine.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...dents-plenty-to-chew-on/ar-AAn7aey?li=BBmkt5R

He'd been confused as to why rats were chewing through the wires in his new car. Well, now we know. Hopefully no one else here is suffering from this.

He's planning to spending a few hundred USD (might go over a thousand) to replace all the wires in his new car with traditional rubber/plastic coated wires.

I hope those class action suits win and force the automobile makes to swap out those wires at their expense.

Won't help my friend as he's not willing to wait as this isn't just costly (to continually have to pay to have the wiring repaired) but poses a significant safety risk.

Regards,
    SB

2. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

:/ rats already like to chew un-delicious normal cables and now they use soy -_-

3. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Is it wrong that I read that as Cats and instantly thought of @orangpelupa ?

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yeah, I've never had that happen and neither has he, so we were both baffled as to why the rats were chewing up the wires in his car. Even better the dealership he got the car from either didn't know, or didn't want to tell us. But he was sure happy to charge my friend to fix it.

Regards,
    SB

5. Sxotty

Veteran

This is true. Maybe soy is worse, but they will chew wires anyway. That has been true for ages. They did it to a 1990 4runner I drove.

orangpelupa likes this.