Quiet PSU

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Hey guys,

I need a seriously quiet and seriously cheap PSU. I think i have a 480W one now which i really don't need as my system is a A64-3200 (the first model with 1MB), a SATA HDD, DVD burner and a passively cooled GF6200. I'm pretty sure a 350W will be enough.

I visited QuietPC.com (or something that sounds similar) but i have a few problem: how do i know which size i need? And do all PSUs have the fan and the ON/OFF switch on the same side? I'm asking because it looks like there are some PSUs that have the fan on the "short side" and the switch can be pretty much anywhere...

Is there a standard or a code i should look for to identify the size, the shape and everything else i need to know (kind of like buying a video card, u know it plugs in properly because it's PCIe or AGP and things like that), or are all PSUs made the same way?

Thanks!

All standard PC PSU's have the same size and placing of the mounting holes. Switch and fan placing is "anywhere they like them to be".

If you want a quiet PSU, you want it to be efficient, (less waste heat) and with 120mm temperature controlled fan (very quiet). I've been impressed with the Enermax Liberty, but also had good results from a pretty cheap Jeantech.

120mm fans are always in the bottom, and there is only space for 80mm fans in the back. A 120mm will be able to shift more air while spinning more slowly, and so is much quieter than a 80mm fan in the back.

Yeah, you're pretty much looking for an "ATX" power supply....which is pretty much about 95% of them out there. ;)

The things to look for are a 20 or 24 pin connector to the mobo, or better yet an adapter with it to do both; as well as sATA power leads. Make sure you either get dual rail 12v lines or a single rail line that is above 25amps.

Also, ask Rys...he is the PSU god! :oops:

digitalwanderer said:
Yeah, you're pretty much looking for an "ATX" power supply....which is pretty much about 95% of them out there. ;)

The things to look for are a 20 or 24 pin connector to the mobo, or better yet an adapter with it to do both; as well as sATA power leads. Make sure you either get dual rail 12v lines or a single rail line that is above 25amps.

Also, ask Rys...he is the PSU god! :oops:

Rys is God. period.

_xxx_ said:
All standard PC PSU's have the same size and placing of the mounting holes. Switch and fan placing is "anywhere they like them to be".

... So how do i know which one i have to get? Wouldn't want the new PSU to have the fan or the switch on the same side the case is... Or even have the fan pointing inside the case... If you know what i mean? I'm missing something ain't i...

Depends how silent and how cheap you want it to be! Silent isn't usually found hand in hand with cheap.

Seasonic are considered among the best at SilentPCReview but they aren't the cheapest - excellent value still IMO.

Here's SPCR's PSU recommendations.

If you're using a Tower case of any kind, a PSU with a 120mm fan is one of the best options. For a desktop-style case, one with dual 80mm fans is often a better choice. I'd check out the reviews on SPCR if I were you.

london-boy said:
... So how do i know which one i have to get? Wouldn't want the new PSU to have the fan or the switch on the same side the case is... Or even have the fan pointing inside the case... If you know what i mean? I'm missing something ain't i...

That's like saying "When I buy a new car, I have to make sure it has wheels. And what if it's wheels are on the roof?" :LOL:

ATX is a standard, so they'll all fit into any ATX case, period.

And by the way, Tagan PSU's are the best value right now IMHO. Look for Tagan TG380-U01 or TG420-U01.

EDIT: if you're willing to pay more for a truly silent PSU, go for BeQuiet.

Last edited by a moderator:
LC Power 6550. Got one powering a opteron 165, xtx and a few harddrives. It's pretty quiet if your case is relatively cool, but if you have a high temperature in the case then you'll definately hear it. 12V rails are rated a bit low so I doubt it'll fit with a high-end crossfire system. Otherwise it's great value for your money, I highly doubt you'll get 550W from it but since you asked for a 350W it'll be sufficient.

_xxx_ said:
That's like saying "When I buy a new car, I have to make sure it has wheels. And what if it's wheels are on the roof?" :LOL:

ATX is a standard, so they'll all fit into any ATX case, period.

Drop the attitude, shopgirl! :devilish:

See now that's what i wanted to hear, how am i supposed to know there's yet another condom-sounding standard for PSUs?! They don't teach this stuff at gay school, i'm all self-learned and never really delved into the PSU world...:cool:

Mariner said:
Depends how silent and how cheap you want it to be! Silent isn't usually found hand in hand with cheap.

Seasonic are considered among the best at SilentPCReview but they aren't the cheapest - excellent value still IMO.

Here's SPCR's PSU recommendations.

If you're using a Tower case of any kind, a PSU with a 120mm fan is one of the best options. For a desktop-style case, one with dual 80mm fans is often a better choice. I'd check out the reviews on SPCR if I were you.
Yeah I was going to recommend Seasonic (based on my hangings around at SPCR). The 330W jobbie isn't that expensive (about £35 from Scam). Tagan are also OK, though the one I did have in the past had an annoying ticking fan.

I'm currently running an Antec NeoHE 430 (which came bundled with my case) which is nice and quiet if you don't load it too heavily, but ramps a bit under load and has the reputation for some compatibility issues with some motherboards.

Tagan TG330-U01, £35 or less, nearly completely silent and very very good.

nutball said:
I'm currently running an Antec NeoHE 430 (which came bundled with my case) which is nice and quiet if you don't load it too heavily, but ramps a bit under load and has the reputation for some compatibility issues with some motherboards.

Tell me about it. I've just built a system using the P150 case and the PSU won't start up with the Antec fan set to low speed. Bump it up a notch to medium speed (which is pretty loud) and it the computer boots up fine. Bloody ridiculous! :rolleyes:

Mariner said:
Tell me about it. I've just built a system using the P150 case and the PSU won't start up with the Antec fan set to low speed. Bump it up a notch to medium speed (which is pretty loud) and it the computer boots up fine. Bloody ridiculous! :rolleyes:

I wanted a P150 recently for a new machine, but with all the problems people are having, I didn't want the PSU. Antec won't sell the case without the PSU because they "don't want customers coming back to us with PSU problems down to other companies" :rolleyes:. In fact they were quite shirty about how dare I know what I want, and basically said the PSU they supplied was good enough for what they wanted people to use the case for. :rolleyes: Even if you have a perfectly good PSU, even if it's one of their and better than the one they supply with the case, they are just not interested in selling you just the case.

Fine, I bought a Thermaltake case and Enermax PSU, and had no problems. I won't be buying Antec stuff any time soon. I'm not surprised you're having this problem despite Antec's assurances it was completely fixed six months ago. Their cases are nice, but not really very cost effective if you have to buy a PSU that may be surplus to requirements or just plain unwanted due to it's poor performance.

I think they may have learned their lesson -- they've launched their black version of the P150 without a PSU!

As others have mentioned:
Seasonic PSUs are _really_ silent, very stable, offer an ok efficiency and are not _that_ expensive anymore. (Esp. if you only need a small one)
Tagan and BeQuiet are also worth a recommendation.

i think my new one is a thermaltake...or thermalking...or thermaldog...or something 680W. but i have many fans in my case (3-120s) (antec p-180). i hear fans. the sound doesn't bother me though.

you going for silence?

my new rig is as 'loud' as my old rig, but with much more cooling capability.

Back