question: what was the initial PS2 launch price?

Specifically I'm asking about the NA launch, but other territories would be interesting to consider too. All I remember is that it launched in Japan first and the price was lower for the NA launch.

I'm pretty sure it launched at $299.

To give you some perspective, it 'officially' launched at 699 CHF (Swiss francs), which equals $574.32.

:oops: Damn! Why does anyone make a fuss about the magical $300 for console when we in Europe are paying easily twice as much?! :?

Okay, now I'm pissed. :devilish:

Current prices for 1 liter of Roz95 fuel is at over 1.50 CHF (= $1,23). In Gallons, that would equal.... $4,66 per Gallon.

Not quite $6, but when prices continue to rise, it sure won't be long until they do reach that. And don't even tell me how much it is over there, I don't want to know! :cry:

To keep this gaming related, most software (PS2/Xbox games) are sold at maximum $81,29 (new releases usually) and greatest hits are sold for around half of that. Some shops sell most games at $73,08.

Phil said:
Okay, now I'm pissed. :devilish:

Current prices for 1 liter of Roz95 fuel is at over 1.50 CHF (= $1,23). In Gallons, that would equal.... $4,66 per Gallon.

Not quite $6, but when prices continue to rise, it sure won't be long until they do reach that. And don't even tell me how much it is over there, I don't want to know! :cry:

It's half that. :) Though prices are steadily increasing over here as well.

We need efficient cars anyways, not only to save money but to save this planet from further pollution. So in the end the high prices are a good thing as it will finally drive people to go to alternative fuels.

PS2 Launch retail price was $299.99 (USD)

with what you got, it was a very good deal IMO (too bad the design of the hardware and components were very cheap, hence the thousands of dead PS2's and DRE's)

i refuse to buy a 2nd PS2, after mine died (and I was told I had to pay a fee to have it fixed and shipped back)

I wonder if Sony takes into account all of the people who had to repurchase PS2's since theirs no longer worked, when adding up their sales figures

we payed in belgium the official launchprize of 20.700 BEF.
that equals to current 514 EURO this is 20% TAX INCLUDED

neighbouring westeuropean countrys where more or less the same (because of tax differences)

USA was 299US$ . giving the US$ was like 0.90 = 1 euro value compared to todays 1,28 $ = 1EURO that would mean it would be NOW 420 US$ (rouhly calculated)

belgium super benzine: 5.8 US$ / GALLON (USA GAllons where 3.79 LITER is ONE gallon)

i remember switserland had cheap gas prices

I paid UK£350 for my PS2 (+ one controller, mem card and TekkenTag).

Today £350 = US$ 643.86

When i bought it in Feb 2001 £350 = US$512.37.

'Nuff said. Can't believe you americans keep bitching about prices.

(But DAMN the dollar's gone down in the last 4 years...)

london-boy said:

Today £350 = US$ 643.86

Well eat this!
When I bougth my PS2 (the standard package with one controller. only a demo disc and no mem. card) on November 24th 2000 in Norway, I had to pay 4500 Norwegian Kroner. Today this is 701.6887 USD. Too tired to calculate the USD back then. I am quite sure Norway has one of the highest prices in the world when it comes to videogame consoles. Do you know any higher, please tell me :p

I'm scared stupid only thinking about what the PS3 may cost at launch over here.

Sindre said:
london-boy said:

Today £350 = US$ 643.86

Well eat this!
When I bougth my PS2 (the standard package with one controller. only a demo disc and no mem. card) on November 24th 2000 in Norway, I had to pay 4500 Norwegian Kroner. Today this is 701.6887 USD. Too tired to calculate the USD back then. I am quite sure Norway has one of the highest prices in the world when it comes to videogame consoles. Do you know any higher, please tell me :p

I'm scared stupid only thinking about what the PS3 may cost at launch over here.

Wow that is the highest i've ever heard!!

By the way, i work with this stuff so... on Nov 24th 2000 NOK4500 = USD472.16 so it's not that bad.
Jesus christ, the Norwegian Krona almost doubled its value in the last 5 years compared to the dollar!! :oops:

Back