Query about resolutions for a non "techie"

First up, I'm new here, and have been reading all your threads with interest.... so let me take the opportunity to say "Hey!"

Ok so arguments over what console can output what maximum resolutions aside, the general consensus is that 720p is the likely "sweet spot" that we'll be seeing most games supporting.

Does XBOX360 still have a "significant" performance advantage over PS3 at that resolution bearing in mind PS3 can tap some of the XDRs bandwidth also?

Second up, for those gamers (potentially me) who can't quite afford an HDTV, what resolution and/or graphical improvements can we expect at the "old world" resolutions:

640x480(i) NTSC
720 x 576(i) PAL

I'm thinking at those resolutions, a preverbial bucket of AA is going to be available and surely jaggies will be a thing of the past? (i hope)

Thirdly, on the whole "is it, isn't it" Killzone issue, is it possible that yes indeed - the demo is being rendered real time to PS3 specs but using the full 100% of anticipated system performance, conveniently forgetting the fact that in a real game, we'd have the main game, physics engine, AI routines etc running also, and performance available for actual geometry/lighing/rendering would be a third (thats a guesstimate) of what that demo is using?

Thanks for the feedback guys n gals
Cheers

On the first I'd say its possable there isn't really enough info to be sure, a definite yes on the second, and as for the third I'm pretty sure that is the only possible way the "PS3 specs" claim could be true.

1) No-one knows
2) Yes, rendering to a higher output buffer and downscaling will mean better visuals for non HD sets.
3) please this has been done to death! It's a concept render, presenting a view of what people hope to achieve. They may be way off the mark. They may be pretty close. Sony provided a mix of real-time rendering, including Cell-only renders that were very impressive, and offline rendering of 'artists concepts'.

Mods, is there any way to set up an automatic kill filter for anyone posting about Killzone? :D

Back