Q3 Market Share numbers

trinibwoy

Meh
Legend
Supporter
TR is reporting Q3 numbers from John Peddie Research. Doesn't look good for the former red team. Some of the losses are attributed to the recent acquisition.

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/11385

While PC graphics shipments increased 5.2% from the second quarter overall, ATI's market share shrunk about 5%. The biggest drop for the red team was in the mobile segment, where its market share went down from 31% to 24%, while Nvidia's share jumped from 10.9% to 19%. The discrete graphics processor market was especially unkind, seeing ATI's market share sink from 63% to 47%.

ATI's losses were less serious on the desktop overall, although the red team's share did go down from 26.3% to 22%. Nvidia, by contrast, grew its share just over one point to 25%. In the market for discrete desktop graphics cards, which doesn't include integrated graphics chipsets, ATI lost around five points dropping to 43%, while Nvidia climbed from 51.5% to 57%.

Reactions: Geo
They've got to start getting products out on time. Go to Hardocp and the ATI forum is like a ghost town since 8800GTX launched. That time is just killing ATI, like last time with R520 delay.

They've got to get some quad SLI alternative out. As long as Nvidia has THE most powerful setup, it's powerful bragging rights, even if the fastest individual card belongs to ATI.

And they've got to get competitive performance per die size, which it looks like they've probably done going by R600 die size/rumors.

Oh, and they've got to get competitive again in the low/mid range. Which should come as a consequence of getting die size under control.
________
Couples Webcam

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO, much more important is getting low/mid range DX10 parts at same time as Nvidia, than getting R600 "on time". R600 is already late, if it comes January, February, March, April... it doesn't matter

I'm thinking their offerings and timing are more to blame for any market share losses than their buyout. Surely timing hurt on the desktop discrete front and power efficiency hurt on the mobile (I'm assuming discrete, as opposed to IGP) front. Can we ascribe their general lateness to the buyout? I dunno, would anything but the corporate segment lose time over that?

Mobile has longer lead times than July certainly.

RV560 was somewhat later than they would have liked, but I'm not sure that was much of a contributor here unless it was going to be much earlier than the first roadmaps we saw for it. Looking at the number losses, it seems pretty clear on the discrete side it would have to be midrange and low-end playing a large role. You could darn near not sell a single X19xx and it wouldn't produce that kind of damage to the overall number.

At least they had a couple of good years, but now it's back to the pre-R300 years. Too bad.

Even R3D is an NV fansite these days! :mad:

If you guys get a site war going, I'm coming in here with the hammer of doom. You've Been Warned.

Could this loss be a consequence of growing fears from manufacturers of laptops and cheap desktops, anticipating trouble for future Intel-based ATI chipsets a little too soon ?
It seems, from the numbers, that low-end and integrated parts were dealt with the worst blow, which is consistent with this theory.
To continue the downwards trend from the previous quarter is one thing.
To have a huge loss like this when the market actually grew is even worse and doesn't make sense otherwise.

ATI also spent most of 2006 without a good mainstream and high-end mobile GPU family, quite unlike past years, and even X13xx GPU's were surprisingly absent in many laptops everywhere, in favor of Geforce Go 7300/7400 TC.
The discrete desktop drop wasn't that significant, possibly because of continued efforts like X1950 XTX and X1950 Pro GPU's, as well as lowered prices on RV530-based products.
This may have "padded" the losses somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Integrated laptop market is down because of the partnership with Intel ended and Intel could supply enough this time around, combined with the fact that Core Duo and now Core 2 Duo are simply dominating the market (as always though) and ATi integrated laptop goes down a large number.

Honestly I'm going to say that these numbers have about 5% tops to do with the merger. Analyst/those who just watch the market's industry only see that or at least do not pay nearly as much attention to the fact that ATi has been late on nearly every important segment this generation. That is why they lost market share.

Lack of compelling lineup from top to bottom and terrible die\performance. This isnt that surprising. I think the 4th qtr may look even worse as Nvidia captured mindshare with the 8800 series.

The problem is AMD isnt exactly the best run company either. I see this merger as having more pain before it creates pleasure. :(

Back