PVR, WMC, CableCard discussions (Windows Media Center patched for Win10, CableCard replacements)

And I won't be forced by MS to buy an Xbox One as a replacement for WMC. Hopefully SiliconDust can be our savior for protected content on HTPC.

:D That's too extreme I don't know how common it is.
It's not too common, even on HTPC. I don't believe there is a single device that provide 6 tuners on the market however if you had 2x HDHomeRunPrime then you could record 6 streams at once. I have my main HTPC with a Ceton and 4 tuners, then a HDHomeRun with 3 dynamic tuners over the network for all other devices.

As it is now, the Xbox One would need an external CableCard tuner device to achieve the same thing as it has no interface for it. So either a USB device connected directly to it or capable of picking up network tuners like the HDHomeRun Prime (or both ideally). They would also need to go through protected content authorization again.

It is extremely common! Ceton tuners have had 6 stream pciexpress and ethernet tuners available, for 2 years. That is what an MStream cable card is capable of.

It is extremely common! Ceton tuners have had 6 stream pciexpress and ethernet tuners available, for 2 years. That is what an MStream cable card is capable of.
Oh sorry, guess I'm not up with the latest tech. Still I wouldn't say it's extremely common lol

Well the magic number is 6, because now the cable box dvrs support 6 as do the htpc tuners. If you're going to jump into the market, you might as well have an option for that.

At an absolute minimum it must support 2 channel recording.

Not to mention they never caught my attention previously.

@eastmen @Silent_Buddha @AzBat @Jwm

It seems the community have found a means of patching the install items to be able to run Windows Media Center under Windows 10, including all live tv functionality and episode guide data. They are on version 6 of the patch bundle now.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...on-Windows-10-final-amp-possible-alternatives

that is certainly cool. I wish someone would get the extender functions working on something like the kangaroo. Those would make great extenders.

Why does MS have to be so foolish

Back