Pure video hd..

Interesting, but the quoted figures CPU utilisation figures aren't exactly impressive, at least not if CoreAVC's claimed hardware requirements stand up to scrutiny.

Actually, reading the whole article, the claimed post-processing features of PureVideoHD would probably be quite CPU-intensive so perhaps this would make it more competitive.

Required dual-core plus a 7-series card is pretty hefty for full frame playback. And even then CPU utilization still hovers around 70%! Blu-ray must be much more of a bitch to decode than I originally thought...

Yeah, that 70% was a bit of an eye-popper. I'm not sure I'd tie that to dual-gpu tho and try to use that to project what it would mean for lesser-powered skus. I suspect the built-in hdcp piece is the enabler there for why 7950gx2 is the roll-out sku.

I'm not stating that, more speculating it.

Edit: For instance, on the ATI side, the performance scaling isn't straight line based on number of quads.

Kanyamagufa said:
Required dual-core plus a 7-series card is pretty hefty for full frame playback. And even then CPU utilization still hovers around 70%! Blu-ray must be much more of a bitch to decode than I originally thought...

I know i'm just picking nits (or something) but you don't actually decode "Bluray"... What you're decoding is whatever is recorded on Bluray, which could be anything from a HD MPEG2 stream, to VC1 to any other supported high resolution format the studios decide to record their movie on. Bluray is just the disc. So really this article is more about the performance on PureVideo HD with 1080P MPEG2/VC1/H264 than Bluray per se. I'm pretty sure the same article can be used for HDDVD playback, as the two formats use the same encoding systems for their movies. :D

You think that's picking nits? Wait until Wavey shows up to tell you that 1080p is just a figment of your imagination. . . :p

I don't know what to think of that cpu utilization numbers. I can play 1080p h.264 videos on my pentium-m 2.0 at around 65% of cpu utilization.

Apoc said:
I don't know what to think of that cpu utilization numbers. I can play 1080p h.264 videos on my pentium-m 2.0 at around 65% of cpu utilization.
Same here using CoreAVC alpha on my Pentium-M 1.7 notebook..

Back