PSN weekly updates

http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/08/17/playstation-network-to-go-offline-tomorrow-8-18/

The PlayStation Network will be undergoing a few hours of downtime tomorrow during what Sony calls "maintenance." The entire PSN will be down from noon EST to 2PM EST. Ignore that this is happening exactly at the same time as Sony's press conference tomorrow. While the PSN is down, PS3 and PSP owners will not be able to access the PlayStation Store or play games online.

Hey slider, I didn't buy Droplitz. I bought Burn Zombie Burn recently because of their Home Space. Will report back later.

Nope. Presumably goes up right after the show is done, like E3

Maybe it's the rumoured massive PSN update.

Would make sense if they were ready to go and would tie in with the conference. (We are doing this and it's available now type of thing)

Yes, I expect video service. They'll announce it in the show with a 'going live as we speak' declaration. PSP apps would also make sense.

Except one uncertain aspect, why take down the network for two hours, instead of upgrade the Store app? Sony haven't had to do that before have they?

They're also changing to an open DRM system, as announced a while ago, in order to allow easier publishing and management for third parties. I'm not saying that it will happen today, but it could be a reason. And it would be an important step towards a PSN version of the AppStore too.

I'm also expecting vidzone to expand to more countries. It will definitely be announced (I saw a comment that the vidzone team has some announcements today) and considering its success it's probably been easier to find the required sponsors. That doesn't mean it will also go live of course, but it may well.

As for the rest, that's going to be anyone's guess, but I do expect something Home related (this is the best time for announcing Home stuff I think) and at least also something game related in terms of Firmware/PSN support (lest people forget it's all about the games ;)).

What it may be though, I'm not ready to speculate much. Could be backward compatibility stuff, more downloadable games, new PSP - PS3 interaction? PSP Go definitely geared towards that, it's clear now for instance, that the experiment with playing Retribution with a regular Sixaxis is going to become commonly supported, at least on the PSP Go directly. You can synch a sixaxis to your PSP Go's blutooth, though it has to go through PS3 or PC apparently, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they also have some kind of solution for PS3 to PSP, maybe through the USB cable, maybe through the PS3, etc. This in turn could make a lot of PS1 and PS2 games attractive to relive their glory on the PSP.

There's lots of things they can discuss and announce, but quite frankly I don't like to get my hopes up - PS3 always seems to have the most potential, and automatically that also includes the most potential for disappointment. :D

New list of European updates on the EU official blog:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009...tion-store-update-20th-august-2009/#more-5446

Quite a bit. Including, surprisingly, the IL2 Stormovic demo, Mini Ninjas, WET and of course Dirt 2.

Also, the new Zen Pinball Streetfighter 2 table is out. I'll definitely get that, not because I'm a Streetfighter fan, but because I'm a Zen Pinball fan. ;)

You'll also get the first four parts of the gamescon conference. If I remember correctly from watching the Home stream there are actually 7 parts or so, so it seems like the second half may come next week, unless they made different parts. In which case Home is still the place to watch the complete thing. ;)

The new Street Fighter 2 table is great.

We didn't get WET, so can't comment on that (but I'm not holding my breath).

Patsu, you should deifnitely try Mini Ninjas, its very charming and I think you may like it.

IL2 Sturmovic is supposed to support sixaxis motion controls, but I can't find it in the demo, which is a shame, I would have really liked to test that out. I tried it on Simulation mode and it's definitely hard enough. ;) Also realistic at least in some areas - if you manage to down two bombers and then crash, that's considered a success. When it gives background on that mission in real life, it was something like 34 fighters crashed against 65 bombers taken out, so that actually makes a lot of sense ... :D Small other interesting tidbit is that it supports the XMB version of the screenshot option. Graphics are quite a bit behind the 360 version though, but it's a straight PC port, so that's not a really big surprise.

Zen Pinball is awesome. Did you know that Tesla table really exists? Someone in a podcast (not quite sure which one) mentioned he played a crazy table that had steam stuff in it, his description fitted the Tesla table perfectly. I'll see if I can google it somewhere.

I think I'll buy any table Zen Pinball brings out, certaintly at 2 euros! That would be just two games on a real table. :D The game also makes great use of the DS's analog mode for regular buttons to make pressing the buttons (and nudging it towards tilt) on the table more realistic. It's a really well done game that isn't nearly getting the attention it deserves imho.

It's also surprising to me how much better the PS3 version is versus the 360 version. If they get a chance, they should definitely update the 360 version. If it was as good as the PS3 version, it would definitely stand out among the Arcade games.

The new table also gets its own trophies.

Zen Pinball is awesome. Did you know that Tesla table really exists? Someone in a podcast (not quite sure which one) mentioned he played a crazy table that had steam stuff in it, his description fitted the Tesla table perfectly. I'll see if I can google it somewhere.

See Testa table at 0.35", this video has a quite good preview of tables.
http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14322197/zen-pimball/videos/zenpinball_gmp_overview_042309.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcpWv8imJMg

edit: added better Tesla table video (video game). Ok my bad, Arwin was looking for a real Tesla pinball table proofs :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mini Ninjas demo is lovely. It reminds me of Zelda a lot visually, though in HD w/ AA and at 60fps, and with a proper combat engine too! I'm a bit angry about the waggle to shake fruit off of trees, but otherwise I'm quite pleased. Very smart design. I might have to buy this.

Speaking of haphazard comparisons, Wet looks and feels like Max Payne: The B-Movie. Competent if a little rigid. Don't like the gameplay in the car sequence at all.

Patsu, you should deifnitely try Mini Ninjas, its very charming and I think you may like it.

Otay ! I'll check it out.

I am playing Burn Zombie Burn now. It's a simple but intense game. Still trying to clear the 4th tutorial.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/08/24/psn-maintenance/

Just a quick heads up to let you know that the PlayStation Network will be undergoing maintenance tomorrow, Tuesday the 25th of August. As a result you will be unable to sign in to the PSN between 4:15pm and 9:05pm UK time. We’re sorry for the inconvenience – the maintenance is global, so the timing is not something we have control of.

Strange that I only see this message on the EU PS Blog.

It's usually the Europeans that get screwed with patch times (SOE would get railed whenever they updated Everquest), so they are perhaps overly apologetic.

Interesting PSN stats from Eric Lempel:
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6686425.html?q=eric+lempel

VB: Who is the PlayStation Network audience?

Lempel: Right now, it’s primarily male. The average age is 28 years old, in usually the middle- to higher-income range. They over-index against those with graduate degrees. But it’s expanding. What we’re finding ever since we’ve introduced services like the video download service, we’re getting more of the household on the PlayStation Network. Some of the top rentals and sales on the video side have been content that probably doesn’t appeal exactly to that 28-year-old male. It’s more those movies that are geared toward women.

VB: You’ve said that HD content outsells standard-definition on the PlayStation Network. The PS3 also is a Blu-ray player. Do you know how many of PlayStation Network users also watch Blu-ray movies?

Lempel: We do have some surveys. Right now, 74% of the users who have PS3s have spent time watching Blu-ray movies.

Back