(PS3) High Resolution photos from GDC

Where are the PS2 quality textures mentioned by some in those Motorstorm shots? Hardly PS2 quality, as even the ground textures look quite good. btw, I'm referring to some of the original comments by those at the Sony's GDC presentation, that mentioned "PS2 quality" textures.

Griffith said:
good try, but you can't take a brigher pic and a dark dark pic, so the dark seems more dramatic and hide the lack of detail,

more fairly, turn up the lights:

E3

e31ps.jpg

GDC

gdc9gd.jpg

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/9210/gdc24ky.jpg

I agreed that the visual of computergraphic cannot be matched, but there're a lot of stupid that believed that the E3 CG video was realtime, in this picture we have only one model and the envirorment is empty, the texture are lowres
hope that this is not indicative of the final result

I still see a big difference.

Edge said:
Where are the PS2 quality textures mentioned by some in those Motorstorm shots? Hardly PS2 quality, as even the ground textures look quite good. btw, I'm referring to some of the original comments by those at the Sony's GDC presentation, that mentioned "PS2 quality" textures.

I think that you are confused and you can't spot the difference between mapped texture, normal texture and polygons deforming
the texture are imo at ps2 quality

Griffith said:
I think that you are confused and you can't spot the difference between mapped texture, normal texture and polygons deforming
the texture are imo at ps2 quality
I agree.

Also the phenomenon of textures getting all blurred up just a few meters away from the camera is soooo low quality XBOX games.

I ve seen XBOX games looking better than this.

Also the car model is made out of less polygons?

And why the hell arent the tires sunk in mud?

And what the hell happened to thos realistic mud particles flying and splashing everywhere??

If the final game is like that I d be very very dissapointed.

I bet the latest WRC is very similar in quality

Nevermind. Why can't I delete my posts? I remember doing so the last time I wanted to, some 3 (?) years ago...

Nesh said:
I agree.

Also the phenomenon of textures getting all blurred up just a few meters away from the camera is soooo low quality XBOX games.

It's so typical quality for certain more recent games on more recent systems too :LOL: It's also kind of hard to tell how good or otherwise the texture filtering is here given the photos.

Nesh said:

They do actually. They showed a bike doing a stationary wheelie, and showed the back tire sinking into the mud. The mud here might be dry, hence solid.

Nesh said:
And what the hell happened to thos realistic mud particles flying and splashing everywhere??

They're there, just not in these pics. The particles don't look as nice as in the E3 trailer, apparently, but the dynamics are all there (and just a guess, but improving the look of the particles could likely be simply done via better artwork). Read the reports about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titanio said:
It's so typical quality for certain more recent games on more recent systems too :LOL:

Like? :???:

They do actually. They showed a bike doing a stationary wheelie, and showed the back tire sinking into the mud. The mud here might be dry, hence solid.
But the tires leave tracks behind as if its not solid yet the tires dont sink at all. Also the ground looks flat.

Is the part you mentioned with the bike available in a pic so you can post it?I d like to see.

They're there, just not in these pics. The particles don't look as nice as in the E3 trailer, apparently, but the dynamics are all there (and just a guess, but improving the look of the particles could likely be simply done via better artwork). Read the reports about it.

Link?
I ve read a few in IGN and gamespot but didnt say much. If there is a link of more detail reports post :)

Nesh said:
I agree.

I ve seen XBOX games looking better than this.

Also the car model is made out of less polygons?

If the final game is like that I d be very very dissapointed.

I bet the latest WRC is very similar in quality

Hate to defend it, but these are some badly captured photos(imo). These are just the 2 images released so far anyways. I'm saving my judgement fro when thye release a better quality video(or images).

Anyways, I won't get myself hung up over these. I want to see more of... anything else( Warhawk particularly)

Titanio said:

you'd think that rolling around in the dirt would, well, make the dune buggy get dirty...the panels and even the tires are spotless, why bother going the extra mile of making dirt particles being flung around if you miss something big like that

then again this is supposedly from a december build of the game, and they hopefully addressed this issue

Nesh said:
I ve seen XBOX games looking better than this.y
Unlikely.
smugglersrun26b1oj.jpg

Smugglers Run 2, PS2 - closest genre match, hailed for its draw distances
38bh1.jpg

WRC4, PS2 - evolution studios current-gen efforts - critically acclaimed for its astounding graphics

917536_20040402_screen009.jpg

Rallisport Challenge 2, Xbox - undisputed graphical king of Xbox racers

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/gogogow/ms_gdc_2k6_01.jpg
Motorstorm, PS3 - worse looking than the above?

Tsk tsk.

gokickrocks said:
you'd think that rolling around in the dirt would, well, make the dune buggy get dirty...the panels and even the tires are spotless, why bother going the extra mile of making dirt particles being flung around if you miss something big like that
How can you tell from these pictures?

gokickrocks said:

There are impressions that said the demo did just that....with the mud drying up and all of that...so maybe you're misinformed?

mistan said:
There are impressions that said the demo did just that....with the mud drying up and all of that...so maybe you're misinformed?

so because the mud is dry, the vehicle is supposed to be spotless? anyone that has taken a vehicle offroad would know what im trying to get at

gokickrocks said:

How do you know this wasn't taken toward the beginning of the demo when they were just getting started? In fact it sound as if this were the case, since some people on GAF who saw the demo first hand were lamenting that the photos didn't show "the aftermath", so to speak. And reports talk about that buggy doing donuts and kicking up large amounts of mud, which isn't something that these shots appear to have captured. Given that, and that we've just two shots to work with here, without context of what was happening at the time or what point in the demo they were from, I'm more inclined to defer to reports from the show about the 'dirtying up' tech that is there:

The last part of the demo featured the bike kicking up mud onto another truck. In one of the neater aspects of the game's engine, you can get mud stuck to your car as the result of following another vehicle in front of you. Mud will usually be initially oozy and wet when it hits your car, but over time it'll dry off, leaving you with a coat of grimy goodness that would make any SUV commercial proud.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/motorstorm/news.html?sid=6146416&mode=previews

Titanio said:
How do you know this wasn't taken toward the beginning of the demo when they were just getting started?

the tracks on the ground made me assume it wasnt the start of the demo, but maybe they were there beforehand...my impression was based solely on the pictures, since there wasnt a link posted to people's impressions

Nicked said:
Unlikely.
smugglersrun26b1oj.jpg

38bh1.jpg

WRC4, PS2 - evolution studios current-gen efforts - critically acclaimed for its astounding graphics

Tsk tsk.

Hmm I guess you are right when comparing pics. I remembered though this games in motion.

You could be right. But I sure expect more than just that

DigitalSoul said:
Hate to defend it, but these are some badly captured photos(imo). These are just the 2 images released so far anyways. I'm saving my judgement fro when thye release a better quality video(or images).

Anyways, I won't get myself hung up over these. I want to see more of... anything else( Warhawk particularly)
Honestly now they should release some direct feed videos

Nicked said:
Unlikely.
smugglersrun26b1oj.jpg

38bh1.jpg

Tsk tsk.

Rallisport Challenge 2 definitely looks better, especially in the car.

Deepblue said:
Rallisport Challenge 2 definitely looks better, especially in the car.

gdc9gd.jpg

vs

The Motorstorm pic is not good quality but I personally think the Motorstorm pic looks better. The only reason why Rallisport Challenge 2 would beat out the Motorstorm pic is the actual content in the picture (shrubbery and whatnot), even then i'm sure Motorstorm isn't going to be as barren as the pic we're seeing now

BlueTsunami said:
The Motorstorm pic is not good quality but I personally think the Motorstorm pic looks better. The only reason why Rallisport Challenge 2 would beat out the Motorstorm pic is the actual content in the picture (shrubbery and whatnot), even then i'm sure Motorstorm isn't going to be as barren as the pic we're seeing now
Its not even a challenge, Motorstorm beats down RSC2 hands-down (especially the vehicle, funnily enough) - even in that blurry picture. However, people will believe what they will...based on reality or preference.

Nicked said:
Its not even a challenge, Motorstorm beats down RSC2 hands-down (especially the vehicle, funnily enough) - even in that blurry picture. However, people will believe what they will...based on reality or preference.

Look at the SHARP picture, the vehicle looks terrible. The shading is all wrong, and it is jaggy as 'ell. Of course a blurry unfocused picture leaves more to the imagination, and you usually imagine good things.

Back