ps/vs 2.0 a subset of ps/vs 3.0 and future?

Nick

Veteran
There are significant differences between ps/vs 1.x versions, and also the step to ps/vs 2.0 meant a whole new way of shader programming. But can anyone confirm that ps/vs 2.0 is a true subset of ps/vs 3.0 or are there small differences? Also, do you expect future shader versions to be based on ps/vs 2.0 as well?

I don't think 3 is a superset of 2. IIRC, if you look in the reference rasteriser source, for example, I think you can find some differences... but don't ask me to remember what they are!

In terms of features 3.0 may be a superset of 2.0, but in terms of hardware implementation I suspect there's a world of difference. Creating hardware to support dynamic flow control must be alot different than just a linear sequence of instructions.

In any pipelined microarchitecture adding dynamic branches increases the difficulty of the ALU's design considerably. In a single core superscalar CPU it's difficult enough, but in a GPU which runs four threads (the pixel quad) concurrently it would seem to be a nightmare to implement.

Wasn't it the ARM that takes care of branching in an interesting way? It doesn't change the IP but instead has a "condition code" that simply masks the result of instructions not to be executed due to the branch. This is only for short branches of course.

akira888 said:
In any pipelined microarchitecture adding dynamic branches increases the difficulty of the ALU's design considerably. In a single core superscalar CPU it's difficult enough, but in a GPU which runs four threads (the pixel quad) concurrently it would seem to be a nightmare to implement.

Actually more threads can be better, at least you don't need to worry about branch prediction. Multi-threading hides the latency for you.

Wasn't it the ARM that takes care of branching in an interesting way? It doesn't change the IP but instead has a "condition code" that simply masks the result of instructions not to be executed due to the branch. This is only for short branches of course.

D3D pixel shaders use a "cheaper" kind of predication: compute two results and choose from them using a condition. Of course, real predication is still better, but it's almost useless if you have no branch misprediction penalty.

akira888 said:
For all intents and purposes, the predicate register in the shaders does the same thing.

Back