PS VITA Game Native Resolution Thread

I really don't get how these 1st party devs could squander resources like this. I mean third party titles are out there at full native rez + AA that look quite good.

In fact Dynasty Warriors comes to mind (strange as that may sound).

Not impressed with Zipper and co..

@piSquaredOverSix: That looks like tearing to me.

I really don't get how these 1st party devs could squander resources like this.
My wild guess would be that they took some of the PS3 code and run it 1:1 on PSV not having the time to reimplement stuff for the target hardware. When you switch between architectures this is usually a pretty bad idea.

I really don't get how these 1st party devs could squander resources like this. I mean third party titles are out there at full native rez + AA that look quite good.

In fact Dynasty Warriors comes to mind (strange as that may sound).

Not impressed with Zipper and co..

Did they squander resources though? And what third party titles are you talking about exactly?

Dynasty Warriors? There's exactly one detailed thing the game engine has to render in that game, and that's your character. The environments are devoid of almost any features or visual flourishes whatsoever, and the clone army of enemies (who usually materialize out of thin air right in front of you) are both incredibly low poly and painted with flat looking, low resolution texture maps. It almost gets away with it because the chaotic nature of the gameplay makes it very hard to focus on the details, but once you do, the game kinda looks like ass.

6674498a106e69b3b0d548b4b9adfdf2.jpg

Shinobido doesn't look very good either, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma looks like an old Xbox game while running at half of the original's framerate. Katamari looks, well, like a Katamari game. For better or worse.

I haven't actually seen or played Unit 13 (the game practically screams "avoid at all costs" at me), but Wipeout 2048 is a spectacularly good looking first party game, and I think Uncharted looks very good as well.
The only third party launch game that can go toe to toe with Sony's own offerings is Marvel Vs Capcom 3, but hey, it's Capcom. Not exactly a small player, not to mention one who's very capable of amazing technical feats.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not particularly fond of non-native resolution games either, but considering how most third party games haven't exactly been hitting it out of the park in terms of visuals on the Vita, I wouldn't really say Sony's own developers have been dropping the ball here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

just saying, but: can't this just be discussed/merged in the two existing threads:

It'd be better off as a separate thread since it's a different class of hardware/generation.

And an additional post/list for PSV just be added to the existing List of Rendering Resolutions?
If the OP wants the list, he should maintain it instead of passing the work onto me. :)

is full 960x544? And what about AA?

Yeah, it's native res and 4xAA, though it obviously breaks when there's bloom and DOF.

The FIFA game is 2xAA.

Rayman Origins is so damn good. That game should have been last year's Goty. It's not just literally perfect, it also feels incredibly fresh and often downright visionary. The sheer wealth of ideas in that game is mind-boggling. Also, best and certainly most creative and memorable soundtrack ever (never heard a gurgling solo before). I think the people who created Rayman Origins must have had the time of their lives making it.

I'd love to get a more in-depth look at the Ubi Art Framework engine, by the way. Quite frankly, it's super impressive.

wipeout uses post filter? Worse pretty good, wonder how cheap it is and hope more first party games will use it. Most sub native res game would benefit greatly with AA.

It'd be better off as a separate thread since it's a different class of hardware/generation.

If the OP wants the list, he should maintain it instead of passing the work onto me. :)

Yeah, it's native res and 4xAA, though it obviously breaks when there's bloom and DOF.

The FIFA game is 2xAA.

This may be a stupid question but I can't seem to figure out how to edit my original post to add in/edit a list?

Wipeout definitely runs at native screen res and some some really good AA as well.
It's dynamic res using a post-AA filter of sorts.

wipeout uses post filter? Worse pretty good, wonder how cheap it is and hope more first party games will use it. Most sub native res game would benefit greatly with AA.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-wipeout-2048-tech-interview

Yep, resolution throttling is used in 2048. The same tenet from HD/Fury applies: if you are dead set on locking frame-rate and resolution your whole game is (graphically) restricted by the worst-case scenario.
It's only there for worst case scenarios as Chris says and for the majority of the time we are using the full resolution of PS Vita, and that's 960x544.
Yes we use hardware 4x MSAA pretty much everywhere we can - on the main 3D render, on ship shadows etc. Additionally, if you look at some of the crossplay tracks from PS3 that feature reflection and refraction effects (e.g. Moa Therma, Vineta K), these buffers are also using 4x MSAA, as well as the billboards in the crossplay tracks (2048 tracks have videos for billboards instead). The overhead for MSAA on PS Vita is indeed very low compared to other GPU platforms, in terms of both memory and performance.

Yeah, that was a good interview. Both hopeful in that we can probably expect 4xMSAA to become more common, and sobering (although we already knew this) in that PS3 level art can be used 'as is' only at the cost of a halving of framerate and some significant work on shader optimisation.

man, still wish they would add 4xMSAA for uncharted, but I think Bend has probably moved on to their next project. Interesting to see that there are games that uses 2XMSAA if 4X AA cost is so cheap, unless they absolutely wanted every performance they can save while still maintaining good IQ. Anyone check Ninja Gaiden Sigma +? I am pretty sure the game has AA, it looks a lot smoother than the PS3 version. It seems like another game with PS3 assets on Vita but half the frame rate with AA. Think there was an interview with the team where they also said the assets were the same on PS3 but they got to do some shaders optimization. Makes me wonder if they port COD games to vita, can they still get 50+ fps if they run it at sub native res with AA and use the PS3 assets.

Ok, so this Virtua Tennis interview, mentioned in another thread, is actually also quite in-depth and technical, very interesting. It was a bit hard to read for me in Google Translation, but still ok:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/134/G013437/20120402067/

One of the things they mention, regarding something discussed in another thread, is that much of the stuff in Virtua Tennis still happens on a single thread on the CPU, and that was a bit of a bottle-neck. But they also scaled back a number of other things. And as everyone mentions (and, frankly, can see in the games), especially the shaders needed to be dialed back.

Back