PS VITA Game Native Resolution Thread

Note the Vita's screen resolution is 960x544.

FIFA 2012 - 960x544 2x AA
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - 720x408 no AA
Unit 13 - 720x408 no AA

These were determined from the demos I've downloaded so far. I'm not sure how to determine exactly the AA level. I'm just going off PC gaming experience here. I can definitely tell when there's no AA.

So correct me if I'm wrong on any of these. More to come.

Also I know that the Vita renders in tiles. In Asphalt: Injection, these tiles are NOT aligned properly, making them actually visible if you look closely. I don't know if this is some kind of bug or what, but it's throwing me off.

Wow..

The fact that it's AMOLED already kills some of the pixel information.. I never thought the Vita would be getting games with a resolution that's lower than its native one.

1st party devs are the worst offenders. They are probably pulling some effects straight from PS3 that kill framerate.. Launch games might not even be coded on the lowest possible level.

I do wonder how low the GPU is clocked now to save battery. If they will clock it like PSP down the line when hardware moves to 28nm..

1st party devs are the worst offenders. They are probably pulling some effects straight from PS3 that kill framerate.. Launch games might not even be coded on the lowest possible level.

I do wonder how low the GPU is clocked now to save battery. If they will clock it like PSP down the line when hardware moves to 28nm..

Both Uncharted and Unit 13 appear to have some form of SSAO :/

Wipeout definitely runs at native screen res and some some really good AA as well. Looks like a bullshot in motion.
Stardust, Escape Plan, Ridge Racer and Motorstorm run at native res as well, but there's no AA in either of them.

Rayman is 960x544 as well, but that's 2d obviously. Both Rayman and Stardust run at 60 fps, but Rayman drops the odd frame here and there.

Also I know that the Vita renders in tiles. In Asphalt: Injection, these tiles are NOT aligned properly, making them actually visible if you look closely. I don't know if this is some kind of bug or what, but it's throwing me off.

Output from TBDR GPU does not differ from the output generated by the IMR. If there are blocks of any sort they are not related to the hardware. Tiles cannot be misaligned, they have fixed position. Perhaps the game is simply tearing?

Output from TBDR GPU does not differ from the output generated by the IMR. If there are blocks of any sort they are not related to the hardware. Tiles cannot be misaligned, they have fixed position. Perhaps the game is simply tearing?

The pixels on the edges of each tile do not match up with the pixels on the edges of adjacent tiles. Ill post a good screen shot.

mK47w.jpg

GOuLb.jpg

q4BlD.jpg

The only way I could really show horizontal and vertical "tears" on these crappy screen shots is through the power lines. I'm not crazy, if you don't believe me download the demo yourself. It's a terrible game by the way.

Oh, a TBR in single buffer mode can be supremely offensive, even compared to an IMR ;)

That being said, I don't think that is what's happening here. Looking at those screenshots, I'd suspect something on the texture coordinate resolution or interpolation side. Either an insufficient choice of variable resolution, or extremely large texcoord values.

I have, do I get a cookie ?
Certainly - I'll arrange to have one (or a suitable substitute) delivered to the room opposite your office at around 10:30 am tomorrow.

Would you agree, though, that single-buffering on an IMR is not pretty?

Certainly - I'll arrange to have one (or a suitable substitute) delivered to the room opposite your office at around 10:30 am tomorrow.
The fact it would be the same place and time as the treat of the week would be a purely fortuitous.

Would you agree, though, that single-buffering on an IMR is not pretty?
It's quite awful.

I assume people are just surprised by the vertical tearing on tile based rendering hardware.

Back