Problem with Linksys router

FX5900

Newcomer
I bought a wireless linksys router model WRT54G. So it works.... but then would randomly disconnect me from the internet....Plugged the cable directly into the modem and not no problem.....

seems like my max uptime when using the router is no longer than 1 hr..

okay, so why does a router have a lease ip time limit? anyway to turn that off?

This may be preventable and may be due to WiFi negotation problems. Are you using Windows XP's WiFi manager or a 3rd party tool?

But, be warned that Linksys seems to have a lot of dud products. A typical problem of their routers overheating or generally being underpowered for the tasks demanded of them is WiFi drop-out.

1. Check your settings for WiFi on both WRT54G and client(s). Then double check them.

2. If you are still having problems and there is no reason to suspect interference or range problems, return the unit for a new one.

3. Rinse repeat :cry:

wireframe said:
But, be warned that Linksys seems to have a lot of dud products. A typical problem of their routers overheating or generally being underpowered for the tasks demanded of them is WiFi drop-out.

Where do you get this? I have heard they are quite good. That said my experience with them has been craptastic and I don't get them anymore :)

Linksys WRT54G/S/X series were way ahead hardware wise of the SOHO competition, esp router I/O with a 200MHz MIPS (Broadcom) processor. Unfortunately their software sux... However, due to their use of Linux, the firmware source had to be release under GPL which has spawned a large community of 3rd party modders. The 3rd party offereings have yielded good results. Check out http://www.linksysinfo.org/ for various links.

I've been playing with a BEFSX41 (168MHz ARM9), which is a POS with any firmware on the Linksys sites. The above site has links to beta firmware greatly improving performance/stability & adding useable VPN/QoS featues, but nothing like a grown up VPN/Firewall. I've been looking at the new Netgear FVS114 & FVS124 (Gb) ProSafe series (200MHz Xscale). Anyone have experience with these?

FX5900, have you tried cloning your MAC address? Are you using P2P & have you set port forwarding (or UPnP?), limited max connections? Too much NAT load tends to make things flakey. With DHCP enabled, the IP addresses are "leased" to each client. Use static IPs if you don't want this. Try the "wifi-box" FW. Never upgrade though a wireless port.

Edit: Prior to upgrading firmware, check the version of your WRT54G. The newer v5 units no longer run Linux, so can't be 3rd party flashed. v4 will work with OpenWRT, but not from the GUI. Sveasoft costs, OpenWRT is bare-bones, so pick up a free build that suits your needs first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Linksys have grate products. WRT54G's are excellent routers, I've had two of them for different reasons and both worked great. Anyway, as stevem said, the software is way caped compared to the hardware. You should flashit with either OpenWRT firmware, which works perfectly but is hard to setup if you don't know much about linux, etc, or Sveasoft versions which are far easier to setup than openwrt, but also very powerfull compared to stock versions.

Sounds like kind of the same problems I have with the router. Doing a ping -t on the router and it will time out every 30-90 sec. Most of the time it doesn't mean a disconnect from online games etc. but it's very annoing. I haven't tried any of the 3rd party firmwares for it yet though...

Sxotty said:
Where do you get this? I have heard they are quite good. That said my experience with them has been craptastic and I don't get them anymore :)
I have two linksys products and both suck. My router locks up periodically (old Dlink never locked up) and the wireless card is horrible. It has trouble making connections.

k..so i read here..... i am using upnp... changed MTU to 1450. Upgraded firmware..even emailed tech support....did pretty much everything except returning the product back to walmart which i planne don doing tomorrow...very disappointed... my netgear does that to me too..so thats why i bought a linksys and the same shiet happened....

i really hate playing games online and getting d/c in the middle of the game..

i usually would get d/c for a few mins then connect again.....over and over again....

noh, it's not my modem or is it..? can't be.... Gonna call roadrunner up tomorrow and have them send me a new modem..

FX5900 said:
k..so i read here..... i am using upnp... changed MTU to 1450. Upgraded firmware..even emailed tech support....did pretty much everything except returning the product back to walmart which i planne don doing tomorrow...very disappointed... my netgear does that to me too..so thats why i bought a linksys and the same shiet happened....
If it's happening with two different wireless routers, it's pretty obviously your wireless card. What brand is it? I know with some (POS) wireless cards, you can't use an indefinite DHCP lease, but it works fine if you limit it to a week or something like that.

The WRT54G is the best piece of home networking equipment ever made, period. Stock firmware is usable for home situations, I guess, but it's still nothing compared to when you run third-party firmware on it. I set up an open wireless point used by ~100 people a day (10-15 people at any given time) over the summer, installed the Sveasoft firmware, and it ran perfectly. There wasn't enough net bandwidth to go around, of course, because we had 768/384 DSL, but it was the only way that these people could get net access in the middle of nowhere. Plus, QoS for the office that was on the same line (no way to avoid that) meant that they didn't care that all the spare bandwidth was being used. Worked great. And by boosting the signal strength, it also reached about three times as far as it did in the first place.

I got the Sveasoft stuff from wrt54g.org, which no longer seems to exist. :( Oh well.

I read somewhere that the game Battlefield 2 has problems with (some) WiFi connections even though they are properly configured and working in (all) other applications. Test with nornal Windows stuff. Transfer a large file or something of that nature.

You still haven't told us what WiFi management software you are using and I, like Baron, am now very suspicious of your client card and perharps the whole setup. It could be interference or just simply a bad "route" between the client and the AP.

And why on Earth didn't you tell us you had problems with your previous router earlier? Since crystal balls went out of fashion in the late 1400s we have all resorted to communicating information directly, especially when we are in need to quick help.

Sxotty,

I would just say it has become general knowledge with the "Linksys crowd" that you may have to return the unit a few times before you get one that works properly. Of course you'd have to take my word for that so I was hesitant to reply to that, hoping others would state something similar (truth in numbers).

The WRT54G happens to be one of Linksys' better products. It is on its 5th revision now, I believe. I am not sure the latest revision is one addressing problems over costs. However, take their WAG54G as an example of a product gone wrong. It has two main revisions, wholly incompatible with each other (firmware wise). This product shipped with features that never or still actually work as advertised, or at all. The clincher is that this product is prone to crashing and this can be fixed by reducing stress on the CPU by disabling UPnP and logging. Now, tell me something isn't fundamentally wrong when a product must be software managed to keep it from crashing. The CPU should just run out of time slices at 100% load and you get what you get (hoping it is powerful enough to keep up). Instead, it seem this product must run at lower than 100% utilization or it will crash (TI AR7 chip = problem child).

There are other such products and the WRT54G is certainly not immune to the seemingly sloppy QA that Linksys performs. Don't let the Cisco tag on the box fool you. These products are no better and oftentimes worse than other "cheap" networking gear like D-Link, Netgear, etc. It may be noteworthy not to confuse the SOHO products like the WRT54G with the business products, which are, hopefully, much better engineered and tested.

what is WiFi management software? sorry i'm not much of a network guy.....

I have the same problem with my wireless setup and wired setup......every so often...disconnected...gotta release/renew ip address all the time..so sick of it..

my wired netgear is giving me the same problem too.. The weird part is, I've been using my netgear for 1 yr now and never gave me that problem..until now.....

Gotta call up roadrunner....damn..can't even play any online games anymore...

I'll try to disable upnp...

FX5900 said:
what is WiFi management software?
Did you install some utility with the WiFi device for your computer? It will usually show up in the system tray at the bottom right of your desktop, near the clock. This utility shows signal strength, allows you to set up accounts with networks, and may perform some diagnostics. It usually has the name of the manufacturer on it. Windows XP has a built in WiFi service utility (called Wireless Zero Configuration). The problem sometimes is that these two utilities interfere with each other. More specifically, WiFi is managed in a fashion something akin to PPPoE where this utility "dials-in" and a connection is negotiated. A beacon is sent out that continues this relationship between the client and the AP. If two applications/services try to manage the same WiFi card in your computer, this may be disrupted. For this reason, you should only use one management utility.

I find the Windows XP built-in utility to be quite good, but it may lack certain features of custome ones supplied with your hardware. Theoretically, only the management software that comes with the WiFi card guarantees the use of all its features (may require updated software from the vendor), but I have found cases where the opposite is true, where Windows does a better job.

To check this you must find out if you installed some mangement software with the WiFi device in your computer. I cannot really help you with this part. To find out if the Windows XP WiFi utility is running do this:

1. Right click "My Computer" and select "Manage" (requires Administrative account)
2. A "Computer Management" window should appear with two panes dviding the window vertically. The left side has the categories and the right pane shows the output from the selected utility.
3. On the left pane click the plus sign next to "Services and Applications" (bottom), new sub-categories should be shown.
4. Click the sub-category "Services", the right pane should now show all installed services in alphabetical order (by default).
5. Locate "Wireless Zero Configuration" in this list.
6. Next to the service name you should see its description, status, and startup type.

The rest should be fairly obvious. If you are running a 3rd party utility from the hardware manufacturer and wish to keep on using that, then stop and disable the Wireless Zero Configuration service. If you want to use Windows' utility, make sure it is started and uninstall any management software you may have installed from the hardware manufacturer. Double-clicking the service opens its management window/dialogue.

You may also find your third party manager installed as a service in this list, but I don't know the names and this becomes complicated. Your starting point should be that two of them are not running at the same time.

PS. The Windows UPnP service can also be seen and modified in this fashion. This is, of course, different from disabling UPnP on the router.

It seems the problem is general even with a wired connection. Have you considered plugging the modem directly into your PC to isolate the issue as one with routing/WiFi and not a general ISP/line/modem problem? I take it Internet browsing is still working.

BTW, disable the Windows Firewall when you are testing. People will hate me for saying this, but I'd permanently disable the Windows Firewall when running behind a router. No need to firewall twice. It mainly leads to problems and no additional security.

Back