Pre-N and why I want to spank it (in a naughty way)

BlueTsunami

I laugh at you! HA HA HA!
Veteran
I showed this in the Console forum (in the thread about an easier solution for the 360's wireless setup...but I wanted to start a thread for it to see what the rest of you think....

Belkin Wireless Pre-N (Mimo) Router

Basically its a new type of wireless technology that uses multiple antennas to achieve higher throughput for uploads and downloads. Tests have shown that you can recieve a max speed of 108Mbit. I find that very very good for my needs simply because i've never liked my speeds being cut in half by my wireless connection (as opposed to a pysical connection). I often transfer crap over bittorrent (what exactly do I transfer...errumm...I'll stay quiet >.>).

A 108Mbit connection would allow me to have my wireless setup and not sacrafice speed. Also I think that its more reliable, in that you won't get nasty speed drops. I'll admit its quite pricey, but the price should drop (eventually). I also read that this may be the new standard (above G) called 802.11n.

All in all, I was bouncing back and forth about a Gigabit network and not having one...now making my house fully wireless is in the mix. The only problem with this technology is that it requires a Pre-N device on the opposite end (basically the Wireless PC/Laptop card or bridge). So if you add it all up...it will tear out your pocket full of money and spit on it....I still want it :devilish:

I do understand though that it won't really affect how my actual Online speeds will be (I have a 4Mbit connection here where I live). But being able to transfer more quickly between my Mac or PC to my FileServer is important to me.

EDIT: I changed the link I provided to the actual Belkin site (why I linked to CircuitCity where they explain shit is past me).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've been holding out (for a long time) till they actually settle on the standard. The other big advantage of 802.11n or "pre-n" is 8x the coverage area. So in a normal house, the signal strength should never drop much at all.

Back