Posting guidelines for Newbies

I think one easy thing to do is restrict thread opening to posters with a certain...

oh god i was gonna start talking about a scoring system but it's teh crap.

Let's just leave it, nothing's gonna change for obvious reasons so there's not point complaining.

We all know where this was heading. A Big Brother style voting system where each week a forum member is voted off :devilish:

Anyone who derails a thread should be temp banned, then permantly kicked if they persist.... oh no wait, what was this thread originally about?

:devilish: I'm expensive.

Anyway, all this talk about Guidelines for Newbies... How about Guidelines for non-newbies? Some are just as annoying. I mean, sometimes i get annoyed at my own posts.

london-boy said:
Anyway, all this talk about Guidelines for Newbies... How about Guidelines for non-newbies? Some are just as annoying. I mean, sometimes i get annoyed at my own posts.

so how would we call guidelines for you? :LOL:

How about "ban points"? Have a button that senior members can press (similar to the alert the mod to a post button) to give that poster a ban point. The point can only be issued once between a senior member to another member (newbie or otherwise). So you can have a senior member having issued a point to numerous members, but only 1 point per member. Similarly, a member may have numerous ban points attached to their account, but each point comes from a unique senior member. At some point, if you have ban points that comprise some % of the senior membership, you get banned. Typically, any member can become subject to this, but more importantly, it can be used to focus in on newbies who have come here under less-than-legitimate circumstances.

This is not to say this would be the only way to get banned. It's just an additional way.

Also, new enrollments should be locked from starting new topics until after 2 weeks AND 50 posts. They are subject to ban points from post 1, of course.

london-boy said:
How about Guidelines for non-newbies? Some are just as annoying. I mean, sometimes i get annoyed at my own posts.
I started a thread titled: "Posting guidelines for veterans", but deleted the thread about 5 minutes after posting it. I didnt think that it would be a fruitful discussion.

randycat99 said:
How about "ban points"?

This is like kind of like the voting/ranking system. Other forums have software that allow the members to vote (1-5) on the posts. When used with filters, this usually keeps the offending morons off of everyone's viewing anyhow as their posts rank too low.

I like the idea of ban points. Ranking members or posts is trickier and can leave threads chopped up as smart replies to dumb (and edited) questions produce fractured debates. I've never like those systems. Ban points are something you'd just consider as 'agh, not agin! This guys got to go'. That recent Worst Thread of the Year in the console forum would have had me reaching for the ban button many times :D

Might also need to balance it out with a 'good post' button too, so if someone learns what they're doing wrong and changes for the better, they can be redeemed.

Of course, this is all hypothetical as there's limits to the board software.

btw, Does anyone know what forum name 'OA" stands for. people over at gaming age say the B3D console forum is being over run with people from the OA console forums intentionally. Apparently this is a Sony fan forum of some sort?

It's certainly not just Sony fans. The polarity of newbies is quite striking, as Titanio's Edge article references showed. An awful lot of new voices appeared talking from a totally Xbox perspective, along with those being totally Sony.

Maybe rather than closing the forum temporarily, people could be prevented from joining temporarily? This'd be especially useful after amajor show like E3. Close the forum to people joining for 2-4 weeks after scuh a show and at least the modding only needs contend with known personalities!

We really need a 'Forum Firewall' that can be enabled as needed :D

Shifty Geezer said:
I like the idea of ban points. Ranking members or posts is trickier and can leave threads chopped up as smart replies to dumb (and edited) questions produce fractured debates. I've never like those systems. Ban points are something you'd just consider as 'agh, not agin! This guys got to go'. That recent Worst Thread of the Year in the console forum would have had me reaching for the ban button many times :D

Might also need to balance it out with a 'good post' button too, so if someone learns what they're doing wrong and changes for the better, they can be redeemed.

Of course, this is all hypothetical as there's limits to the board software.

You could implant a phpBB 'karma system' (that is how I know it), which only senior posters could use do 'vote' on new members once a week. Depending on that karma score/feedback, new members could become permanent members/rejected on the B3D boards after a while.

That is one option to counter the new influx of members, of course.

An awful lot of new voices appeared talking from a totally Xbox perspective, along with those being totally Sony.

I saw some new people that might have been on the xbox or sony side, but weren't fanning the flames, and thensome[/p] new people on the sony and MS side purposely fanning the flames.

Most of the trouble makers in that thread have been trouble makers in a few other threads as of recently. To be honest the creation of that thread was a problem from the start. It's was obvious that Go freak/Titanio is a sony fan, but he really shouldn't have pulled specific quotes from an article without mentioning any details about the rest of the article. Obviously he couldn't post the entire thing, but he didn't even bother to summarize what the reast of the article said. That just made the thread seem completly one sided.

I find it somewhat disconcerting and disingenuous, that the consoles forum problems are blamed on "us" (newbies). I can do a search on all of the "veterans" and find them fanning the flames of discontent as well. It is a simple matter of not responding to something, which in turn is how threads die.

Veterans are just as guilty of derailing threads as newbies are, actually worse, most newbies would start a new thread as opposed to reading information currently available through search. I see veterans all the time saying "I don't know if this was posted...", "...why should I read n pages of..."
Because I am a glutton for punishment I read each and every page worthless or not, whether it pisses me off or not.

For what its worth I registered on this site YEARS ago, but do to unforseen circumstances (read: We went to war) I was unable to remember my un/pw and maybe it was purged. So I have been lurking this site for longer than some of you veterans. I still find this is the best place for information, if I am only seeking new tidbits for the next-generation of my fav system (X-BOX), does that mean I have to hate the PS3, no, does that make me some rabbid fanboy, not sure...you can be the judge, but at least judge me on the merits of my posts not on the newness of my screen name.

NucNavST3 said:
I find it somewhat disconcerting and disingenuous, that the consoles forum problems are blamed on "us" (newbies). I can do a search on all of the "veterans" and find them fanning the flames of discontent as well.
Yes, but we do it with such style and panache. 8)

Qroach said:
To be honest the creation of that thread was a problem from the start. It's was obvious that Go freak/Titanio is a sony fan, but he really shouldn't have pulled specific quotes from an article without mentioning any details about the rest of the article. Obviously he couldn't post the entire thing, but he didn't even bother to summarize what the reast of the article said. That just made the thread seem completly one sided.
Titanio likes Sony and has admitted as much, and so we know where he's coming from. This doesn't mean he's biased in presenting a pro-Sony position on everything. He explained the points he posted : They were the only one's that talked about hardware, and the rest he summed up as talking about strategy and marketting. As a technical forum the points brought to attention should ideally be technical (though we're not totally against marketting and strategy considerations).

If Titanio has deliberately misled by presenting only half the relevant quotes from that article, and if he has lied about an absence of posts talking about XB360 hardware, then by all means come down hard on him. But until we hear about these other quotes isn't it best to trust his explanation, that the only hardware related comments are those he supplied? Titanio has, on this forum at least, always debated intelligently. He's never been antagonistic that I know of. Bias isn't a crime and if he does only post things relating to Sony and not MS, doesn't matter, as long as of course he's not baiting with misinformation. I for one don't see anything wrong with the creation of that thread and it was interesting to hear some people's POVs on the hardware, though thankfully I'm mature enough not to think one or two comments from devs give the whole unfettered truth.

i am all for ban points as long as they dont appl to Politics forum....

little birdie tells me that they would fly like crazy there :LOL:

Presumably (never been there; keep to consoles mostly) it'd be a civial war with all sides getting enough points that EVERYONE would be banned :D

Shifty Geezer said:
Presumably (never been there; keep to consoles mostly) it'd be a civial war with all sides getting enough points that EVERYONE would be banned :D

sir, you are right in your presumption. ;)
problem is, we dont have usual trolls there (ya, we call each other trolls (when we are polite)), but mostly same posters from totally different backgrounds...both in life and politics....

Back