Posting guidelines for Newbies

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Just seen a newbie (fourad?) on the console forum 'done for trolling'. I think there may be a problem with people wanting intelligent discussion but miscommunicating. Dialogue and debate is a learnt art and depending on where one's education comes from, the way of presenting your POV can vary.

Maybe it'd be a good idea to have stickies for people to read how to phrase themselves and present their arguments while avoiding being antagonistic? Is there a guide somewhere on the web that can be linked to (there must be somehwhere!!)? In this case I feal fourad has been clamped down on when his intentions may have been benign, even if it seemed otherwise. Slapped wrists can't ever help reeducate people if they don't understand why they've been slapped.

Personaly i think there should be a month or two of view only time after signing up for the forum . That way the people can learn the forums .

However what the poster in question posted is blatent trolling and he continued posting it word for word even though the thread was locked and he was warned .

jvd said:
Personaly i think there should be a month or two of view only time after signing up for the forum . That way the people can learn the forums .

In many cases, that would only delay the inevitable of about 2 months.

But i agree, strict restrictions must be put into place, cause obviously having an average of 8 locked threads on the first page at any one time isn't enough for them to realise that they have to either not post or post relevant things.

I think a good console-forum-lock for a couple of days or longer will help a bit. Till the next wave, which will probably coincede with TGS, X360 release, PS3 release and so on...

Whenever 2 people argue against each other's opinions emotions can run high.

Maybe B3D can work on a buddy system?

Everyone on the forum will be issued a buddy.
Buddies will look after each other and will also make a list of improvements which will be given to their buddy.

That's the basis of it.
Anyone think this is a good idea?

K.I.L.E.R said:

Buddies will look after each other and will also make a list of improvements which will be given to their buddy.

That's the basis of it.

No.

Also, most people lurk for quite a while prior to registering. I don't see the 2 month thing making any changes except dropping registration drastically.

John Reynolds said:
K.I.L.E.R said:

That's the basis of it.

No.

awww john u can be my buddy . We can be the Super buddys

RP&SC esque sections on technical forums are a horrible idea, or should be invite only to certain members. You think you know someone from their technical posts on hardware, then you find out they're some lefty, righty, capitacommunist Thatcherite Buddhist fundametalist, and it all turns to shit!

I think 1 week view only policy is sufficient and here is why.

If you're a technical minded person you'll likely become a member for good and will be willing to wait a week.

The trolls however are more instant gratification types. They'll not bother and likely never come back (hopefully). Besides it gives them time to cool off.

You know registration sends an email straight away. That gives instant access. A delay would postpone access but if it comes, a troglodite could, when it did arrive, log and and be a nuisance. Seems to me a degree of effort needs to be required by wannabe B3Ders. A registration, followed by an email, followed by an IQ test, followed by a 3D questionaire, followed by a subscription fee, followed by another registration, followed by A-level Home Economics...anyone willing to work thorugh all that deserves to be allowed in, though probably won't be in any fit state to post anything worthwhile.

karlotta said:
better to just remove the console forum. There i fixed the site.
No, no...we can't give in to board terrorists! :rolleyes:

If worse comes to worst, I'll just go in there and eat all the lil trolls. :)

karlotta said:
better to just remove the console forum. There i fixed the site.

Heh they'll just get on a power trip, get into PC graphics cards and flood the other forums.

Better to keep them in one place.

Think of the Console Forum as the Quarantine folder in Outlook. Where infected mails stay. Not that i use Outlook.. err..

Saem said:
I think 1 week view only policy is sufficient and here is why.

If you're a technical minded person you'll likely become a member for good and will be willing to wait a week.

The trolls however are more instant gratification types. They'll not bother and likely never come back (hopefully). Besides it gives them time to cool off.
Well recent events suggest this system won't work. A certain Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms Fouad made a few 'dramatic' posts starting from 11th July. But a click to their member status shows they joined June 26th. That's a couple of weeks lurking and learning nothing.

Anyone written a thesis on 'Internet Troll Types - Digital Fauna in the Electronic Universe'? I'm sure there's buckets of research that could be done on why people are morons in forums that would warrant vast amounts of research funding (seeing as some guy was given a grant of something like £750,000 to research if animal's have souls, I'm sure grants can be obtained for anything).

Hmm, vast amounts of research funding...

Where's that clipboard and lab-coat?...

Back