People who jog are dumb

um wtf.
I thought exercise should lower stress since it like.. uses up the chemicals your brain releases from stress :???:

Heh, seeing some people jog at 6 o'clock in the morning with -7°C and snow we have here right now, I'm actually somewhat inclined to believe that.

I think the result will be the same, for any other excercises that you do alone.

However, I think listening to music will help. Or just get a jogging partner. :)

You mean my mum?

V3 said:
I think the result will be the same, for any other excercises that you do alone.

However, I think listening to music will help. Or just get a jogging partner. :)

Anyone with a Nature subscription able to expand on the findings? I ride alone quite a bit.

It would help if the article pointed out what field in Nature the article comes from (Nature is a big jounal). I'll keep looking to report the findings.

Sorry for double post but I couldn't find the article the news article was refering to. but I found this interesting article from Nature that contradicts these "new" findings.

It says that when pregnant mice excercise it increases the neurons in the hippacampus for the adult mice and the unborn offspring. It's interesting but not conclusive.

I'll keep looking for that article to see if jogging really is bad for you. ;)

[Update] okay, Elizabeth Gould (yes, yes.. i'd hit it too ;)) is from Princeton, not Harvard. She's an accomplished neurologist but haven't found any recent publication of hers listed in Nature. At least from the topic raised, she did publish in some of their journals.

Ok, further update, the closest article I could find on the subject of hers was not in any Nature Journal but the Journal Hippocampus published by Wiley (searched through PubMed). The refernce can be found here: Volume 16, Issue 3 , Pages 233 - 238 and the following is the abstract.

Stress hormones have potent growth-inhibiting effects on a variety of peripheral tissues. Consistent with this general function, stress has been shown to inhibit cell proliferation and, ultimately, neurogenesis in the hippocampus. This effect appears to be common across mammalian species, life stages, and most types of stressors. Although some evidence points to a role for glucocorticoids in mediating this effect, contradictory data exist. This review considers the growing literature on this subject with specific emphasis on paradoxical findings and the role of glucocorticoids in modulating adult neurogenesis. © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

I've downloaded the artcile but will read it later. If you're still interested in the findings I can summarize the article. No references to jogging.

Either the news site has access to unpublished material or their fact checking sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back