Pentium M 1.6 at 3.1 GHz

DudeMiester said:
Just so you know, while the Dothan is great in 1m, when you start going up to 16m and 32m it's performance is bad. Apparently because the A64's caching sub-system is far superior.

Maybe because the higher precision values don't fit into dothan's cache and it starts relying on the athlon 64's lower latency + super bandwidth memory memory?

That, or maybe the values exceed what can be stored with 32bit precision, and the athlon 64 fairs better with greater than 32 bit values? Yeah it's not on a 64bit OS, but maybe internally the athlon can deal better with using multiple values to represent greater than 32 bit values?

Well don't forget to consider that at stock voltage a P-M only puts out about 27W heat. The heatsink on my notebook's 2133MHz Dothan is half the size of a deck of cards. I actually overclocked it to 2133 too, it's originally a 1.6GHz/400 now a 2133/533 using a little socket wire mod. Stock voltage still.

Per Watt performance with a Dothan is absolutely unbeatable.

swaaye said:
Well don't forget to consider that at stock voltage a P-M only puts out about 27W heat. The heatsink on my notebook's 2133MHz Dothan is half the size of a deck of cards. I actually overclocked it to 2133 too, it's originally a 1.6GHz/400 now a 2133/533 using a little socket wire mod. Stock voltage still.

Per Watt performance with a Dothan is absolutely unbeatable.

If dothan can scale up towards 4ghz, then it's unbeatable in absolute performance too.

Everyone's pretty sure that Intel is going to use the P-M as its future architectures, it's just gonna take awhile.

Imagine a P-M with 64-bits and integrated memory controller! Then it would be, well, an A64!

Karma Police said:
Everyone's pretty sure that Intel is going to use the P-M as its future architectures, it's just gonna take awhile.

Imagine a P-M with 64-bits and integrated memory controller! Then it would be, well, an A64!

An A64 that outperformed the current ones in 95% of the situations, and that's assuming it only clocks as high as the A64s.

But if current P-Ms can break 3ghz on heavy air cooling, there's no reason for Intel to keep their P4 line around any longer, other than perhaps that they have all that fab space dedicated to the P4s.

Back